Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Test Sheet - Older than 1998 1st Edtion Cards!

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
[gal=47451]test sheet[/gal]​

One of our members, crazypokemon, who specializes in uncut Pokemon card sheets managed to come across a couple of sheets of these gems. As you can see below, the layout of the cards is the same as that used on the first print runs of the Base Set of cards, known as Shadowless. This is also the layout used for the first edition Base Set cards. Note the thin red font used for the Hit Points and the lack of a shadow next to the image box.

[gal=47449]test sheet[/gal]

[gal=47450]test sheet[/gal]​

You can tell these are test sheets because some of the card elements are missing. All of the energy symbols, both for card type and for energy cost, are missing. Also, the evolution boxes don't have the lower stage pictures in them. From discussions with WotC employees, this was standard practice for test sheets. All that was being tested at this point was the layout.

Oh, and one more important thing. Have you noticed it?

[gal=47452]test sheet[/gal]

That's right! These sheets have a totally different holo pattern than what was eventually used on Pokemon cards!
Now, there are two possibilies here. Either they were testing different foil patterns to use and this pattern was considered and then rejected, or they were just testing layouts and didn't care about the pattern being used.

In any case, these pictures have been shown to WotC managers who worked on the Pokemon program at the time Base Set was released and they confirm that these are the real deal.

or the test deal, as the case may be!

What we have here is a small bit of Pokemon history.

[gal=47454]holo pattern[/gal]
Here is a close up of the holo pattern.
This also lets you see the black layer embedding in the card sheet. Another bit of proof that these are cards produced for WotC and not knock offs.

[gal=47453]printer's mark[/gal]
This mark above on this sheet might help to identify the specific printer that produced these.

[gal=47455]test sheet[/gal]

[gal=47456]test sheet[/gal]
test test

Last edited:
The color marks on the side of the sheet are registration marks. These are used to make the "inks" are applied properly and are lining up properly. From what I see in the picture, this may identify the hardware used to print the cards, but not the exact print shop.

This is really nice. I recommend framing and protecting for posterity. This would be a great treasure to discuss on the Antiques Road Show in 2059. :)

The mark I was referring to as maybe identifying the printer is a stylized eagle

oh wow thats so cool how much is that sheet worth ??

I'd say this find has to be way rarer than Pre release Raichus!

So, my guess on how much it's worth? A LOT.

Last edited:
Thanks Pokepop :thumb: for puting up my sheet.I got 10 of these kinds of sheets.
These are just some of my many sheets.

Last edited:
nice crazy have seen this one and is probably my favorite since it is one of the older ones but nice pics :smile:

Frame that sucka!

Don't let it sit around and gather dust/damage.

Ridiculously awesome item!

Both the Pre-Release Raichu card and the Test Sheets are very valuble and very rare in their own rights.
That Raichu is the Holy Grail when it comes to single cards.Mainly because that card was denied by WOTC for years and there was not much evidence to back it up that it really existed.
As for the Test Sheet i would think that would be the Holy Grail when it comes to Uncut Sheets.
Afterall these are the test sheets of the first ever Pokemon cards.
I am honored to own these wonderful sheets.I find it to be a huge accomplishment to my collection.

I got my Holy Grail the same day william got his Holy Grail. I waited awhile to reveal this because i wanted Will to have his time with the community showing his card.
So two april fools day of pokemon history.Myself with my 10 test sheets and william and his pre-release raichu card.
It may be april fools but william and I got our history cards that day so the two of us are no fool.

I'd say this find has to be way rarer than Dark Raichu errors.

So, my guess on how much it's worth? A LOT.

Last edited:
dude if you frame one and keep another for 10 years and sell it you coulld be pretty rich but i wondere how you happended upon these

Insanely awesome man. Interesting how they hadn't yet inserted the Pokemon info in the yellow box below the art, the pic of the previous stage evolution in the upper left corner box, or even the energy symbols for the attacks. Realllly cool.

so we have the smae blastoise pic huh.
all i can say is it take alot of time and effort negotiating patience and money to get as many of my sheets.
all i can say is as of 2009 i gotten 15 sheets total and theres still 5 more month of this year so i will get more by the end of 2009.
i have been collecting for almost 5 years now.
i could give you tips but sometihngs you cant learn by explanation you have to learn from experience.
i can tell you how to perform surgery but if you never looked at your notes or know whats wrong with your patient you wont know what im talking about you know.
i would tell you but im not sure how and if i did find the words its just some things better learning from experience.
i hope you understand somethings you only know by experience.

Me too, any tips on how/where to obtain them, and how much I can expect to pay? Specifically the first few WotC sets.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THIS SHEET.
mew just brought up a good point all cards exceot for magneton have the written description of the height and weight under the illustration all cards have them blank except for the magnetons.
also there is energy symbols where it says discard example blastoise venusaur charizard mewtwo ninetales they have a small symbol like discard the energy in attack or pokepower.
ie nintales fireblast and blastoise pokemon power rain.

Insanely awesome man. Interesting how they hadn't yet inserted the Pokemon info in the yellow box below the art, the pic of the previous stage evolution in the upper left corner box, or even the energy symbols for the attacks. Realllly cool.

Last edited:
These would have to be the most valuable Pokémon-TCG collectable in existence. Nothing else can come close to being as valuable as these are. I hope they are being store in a fire/flood proof container.
I do not think I could afford the insurance to protect theese beauties. Congrats on acquiring them.

yep 10 of those sheets.
im gonna have a thread soon of ALL of my 10 shadowless sheet in a pic.
ill open a new thread but what should i call it.what title works great for it.
it will have ALL 10 sheets in a pic in that thread.
in the mean time look at my other threads of unut sheets.
uncut sheets 1-5 http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105963
uncut sheets 6-10 http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1470813#post1470813
uncut sheets 11-20 http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106025

i have 29 sheets total im currently working on number 30.
i will have the rest of my sheets up soon.
so what is a good thread to title to have all 10 shadowless sheets together for 1 pic.

so me and willaim both purchased pokemon history april first.
i got 10 of these sheets and willaim got the pre raichu.
so me and william are no april fool.
we got history.
im very honored and most appreciated on having this.
i love uncut sheets.

You got a much much better deal then will did. How could he have let you outbid him for theese?

Last edited:
thank you so much.i did not outbid him.william never had a shoe in.i got all 10before he knew it existed he found out its existence when all 10 were bought.
and if these are test prints wouldent the raichus on these sheets be the PRE-PREreleased.you know the pre release of the prerelease raichu.
so if it wasent for THESE raichus making the road for his to walk on he wouldent have this.
this is gave him the future of his card.in other words these are the parents and his card is the child.:biggrin:
me and william got our things april first 2009 but i let him have his moment besides i was busy with other things.
and the price i paid for my 10 sheets was NEVER cose to his pre raichu card.

These would have to be the most valuable Pokémon-TCG collectable in existence. Nothing else can come close to being as valuable as these are. I hope they are being store in a fire/flood proof container.
I do not think I could afford the insurance to protect theese beauties. Congrats on acquiring them.

You got a much much better deal then will did. How could he have let you outbid him for theese?

Wow, those sheets are amazing.
It's awesome to see how the creation process developed along the way.
In terms of rare merchandise these have to be up there with the Dragon Frontiers Prerelease deckbox.

It's a deck box that was supposed to be given out at the Dragon Frontiers Prerelease but couldn't get shipped in time so most were destroyed.
One just sold very recently from Mozz.

Back