Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Theory 101: Ditto, I can be your Superman!

shadowlion

Pokemon Theory 101: Ditto: I Can be your Superman!

I am writing this article to have a little bit of fun and to put out there some theory and discussions that I have been apart of recently, so take it for what it is worth enjoy the discussion and get some food for thought.

THE MIGHTY DITTO

Ditto HP 60

POKE-BODY Ditto DNA
As long as Ditto is your Active Pokemon,its maximum HP is the same as your opponent's Active Pokemon. Ditto can use the attacks of that Pokemon as its own. (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.) If that Pokemon is no longer your opponent's Active Pokemon, choose 1 of your opponent's Active Pokemon for Ditto to copy.

Weakness +20 fighting, No Resistance, and 1 Retreat Cost.

So exactly what does all this mean on THE DITTO.

1. He automatically copies the attacks and HP of the Defending Pokemon, if they evolve he now copies the new Pokemon.
2. He does NOT copy Poke-Powers or Poke-Bodies, Ditto does not copy Weakness, Resistance, Retreat cost of the Defending Pokemon, or its Type/Color.
3. Ditto is a Basic Pokemon, so even when he copies a Evolution he can still reap the benefits of Stadiums such as Snowpoint Temple.

Now, that we understand Ditto a little bit, you must still be asking why would anyone consider even playing such a gimmick Pokemon? Well of course, I shall continue.

Have you ever been in the middle of deck construction and thought hmmm starters or no starter? Should I use Pachi, Phoine, maybe a deck with Absol, or one of numerous other Pokemon. Ever been in a game position where your opponent has setup a little before you and you need just a turn or 2 more before your deck can GO OFF and do its thing but you dont want to throw a vital pokemon in the active position to be the sacrifical lamb? How about how to get the advantage in a Mirror Match?

Well ALAS fear no more Superman Ditto is in the skies patrolling to help you in all your possible needs.
On his own Ditto is nothing, but he can grow up to be whatever he wants to be (LOOK MA NO HANDS, I CAN RIDE MY BIKE WITH NO HANDLEBARS) haha.

Using Ditto as a starter can give many advantages, you just have to be versatile just like Ditto is. They start with Pachi LOOK I HAVE PACHI to, PHIONE LOOK AT MY PHIONE, ABSOL hmmm YOU WILL DISCARD AS WELL, even the new Sableye (though you wont get to start first due to the Poke-Body) you will still get Mimic to play the extra supporter to get set up. What your opponent does not play starters and goes straight for the Meat and Potatos of their deck, well if nothing else Ditto can take one for the team evolving as they do taking the damage for a few turns while you setup everything you need to get the PARTY started.

The past Battle Road season have you been donked or seen others donked by the great Kingdra first turn and GAME OVER!!! Well guess what Ditto Says not on me sir, I don't play that way, and of course if you have the correct energy you can counter attack as well making him all the better. Even later in the game Ditto can be a stall card to take some damage while you continue rebuilding your main forces to take control of the game if the need so arises.

You say you enjoy playing top decks and get many Mirror Matches during your tournament experience, well Ditto is perfect for you then. You play Kingdra, AMU, or some other deck that most in your area play! Well Ditto gives you the advantage he can give you extra copies of your main Pokemon in this case, they play Kingdra well bring up Ditto (to copy Kingdra) while you setup your other Kingdras on the Bench, same goes for other mirror matches. He just gives you more in a time when everything else is heading for recession.

Now even with all this great versatility Ditto has of course there will be times when he is a burden. The most annoying thing with Ditto is when he copies a stage 2 takes his fair share of damage and they switch to a lesser Pokemon and of course he perishes in the switch. Just like all starters or other versatile Pokemon there are times later in the game when you cringe to draw Ditto, however he makes for a easy choice to use for Cosmic Power (face it who does not play Claydol) or discard to an effect or supporter such as Felecity's Drawing if the situation so calls for it.

Now I am not advocating putting 3-4 Ditto in every deck, but 1 or 2 as a starter tech or other tech hmmm who knows. Now in closing just a quick rundown of some of the Pros and Cons of Ditto just as a reminder (and for those that just skim articles lol)

PROS:
1. Can be a starter and copy your opponents starter.
2. Can be mid-game stall.
3. Can give you extra copies of your main pokemon in a Mirror Match.
4. Reaps the benefits of Snowpoint Temple.
5. 1 Retreat Cost.
6. If you have the energy needed for the attacks he copies of your opponent's Pokemon he can be a Beast.
7. Late game if not needed easy choice to Cosmic Power or discard to say Felecity's Drawing.

CONS:
1. Does not copy Poke-Power/Bodies.
2. Needs to have correct energy to use attacks he copies.
3. If they switch to a basic or lower HP Pokemon, Ditto can be knocked out from the switch (depending on damage counters of course.)

Guess as well, there is a mandatory deck list to be given that uses Ditto. However, this article is meant to show advantages of Ditto in most decks. I will give a very unrefined (yes means probably not very good) decklist off the top my head that maybe could use Ditto to the fullest extent.

(example Deck, and no not mine :)
Pokemon:21
4 Ditto
3-2-3 Garchomp
2-1-2 Togekiss
2-2 Claydol

Supporters/Trainers:21
4 Rare Candy
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
4 PokeRadar/ or Quickball
3 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point

Energy: 18
3 Fire
3 Water
3 Lightning
3 Psychic
3 Grass
2 Dark
1 Metal

Yes like I said not very refined but just an idea to help feature Ditto more, but as said above the possible upsides of Ditto can benefit most or every deck, if nothing more as a single tech card.

Thanks for reading and though writing this for a little bit of fun I do hope maybe will give you some food for thought and something to discuss.

HAHA i knew this question would be asked....well in case both people start off with Ditto I guess we have a classic Mexican Standoff, build up your bench as fast as you can and see who the first to switch Ditto out is...in case you are playing same colors then it becomes a real Chess match because first person to flinch and retreat Ditto is allowing the other Ditto to take charge and use the other pokemons attack.

" HAHA i knew this question would be asked....well in case both people start off with Ditto I guess we have a classic Mexican Standoff, build up your bench as fast as you can and see who the first to switch Ditto out is...in case you are playing same colors then it becomes a real Chess match because first person to flinch and retreat Ditto is allowing the other Ditto to take charge and use the other pokemons attack. "

I think there should ba a deck based around Ditto and Chatot (Majestic Dawn).

i dont like ditto because not many folks use starters anymore, they use call energy. if your deck doesnt have the right color energy you cant copy the defending pokemons attacks, and all the opponent has to do is 50 damage to ditto, retreat for a 50 hp basic, rare candy it, then hit the next pokemon, which maybe nets them 2 prizes in 1 turn

I like this, Ditto fits in very nicely with Chomp. Possibly Skittles even since you're using the same thing, except Ho-Oh over Kiss.

"I like this, Ditto fits in very nicely with Chomp. Possibly Skittles even since you're using the same thing, except Ho-Oh over Kiss."

In that case running Ho-Oh over (you said Kiss but would think you mean Chomp) then throw in the Snowpoint Temples to give Ditto and Ho-Oh +20 on the HP

There's one problem about Ditto starters - they can't copy Call Energy. There are lots of decks that don't even have a starter but use Call energy to have there setup while Ditto can only copy a crappy 10 damage attack.

I would play Ditto in some decks like Garchomp or Eeveelutions, but it's not that great. Nice tech, but there are better ones. =)

Mirror Match:

Ditto v Ditto with snowpoint in play

infinite hp.
No, ditto has 80 HP because it copies the HP from the card and then gets one single snowpoint Bonus. This has already been ruled.

"I like this, Ditto fits in very nicely with Chomp. Possibly Skittles even since you're using the same thing, except Ho-Oh over Kiss."

In that case running Ho-Oh over (you said Kiss but would think you mean Chomp) then throw in the Snowpoint Temples to give Ditto and Ho-Oh +20 on the HP

Yeah, that's what I meant :lol:

srsly, ditto is uber bad. they attack him for 60 or 70 and next turn they play warp point and ditto dies...

Ditto does can NOT use the snowpoint temple because on the card it says that it's maximum HP is
the defending pokemon's HP

weavile: You are wrong. Ditto can use Snowpoint temple just as any other basic may use it regardless of his pokepower.

I love Ditto. He is a great starter/staller/sacrificial lamb. I think everyone should try it out and see how it works for them before deciding he is such a "horrible" Pokemon.

Venessa

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Freezer: If they play Warp Point then you are switching out your Ditto for another Pokemon as well as them switching. I assume you mean switch rather than Warp Point.

Last edited:
Freezer: If they play Warp Point then you are switching out your Ditto for another Pokemon as well as them switching. I assume you mean switch rather than Warp Point.

Nah, I mean if I play Kingdra I would just do 60-20 to it and next turn play warp point. That means ditto has no longer the maximum hp of the defending pokemon and dies because its maximum hp is now 60.

Step one: Attack Ditto for at least 60 dmg
Step two: Warp Point Ditto, draw a prize
Step three: Proceed to get a free attack on another of your opponents Pokemon.

Back