Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Top Card

Ditto

So we're always trying to figure out what the best cards are and there's been numerous posts of "list your top ten cards." After seeing these posts again and again I decided to try a different approach to determining what the top cards are.

I created an Android app called Pokemon Top Card.

It shows you two random cards from the current modified format and lets you pick which one is better. If you're not sure what a card does you can click the enlarge button to get a bigger picture of it. Just like when we battle, the winning card gains points and the losing card loses points. You can see the results in the app or at http://www.doeiqts.com/pokemon-top-cards/

This way with lots of people voting on which card they think is the best the true winners will rise to the top.

Right now it's Android only, but anyone can see the results at the website. I'll work on getting an iPhone version up soon. Let's see what the best cards in modified are!

Seems like an entertaining and fun idea. You need an iPhone version, though...

Right now, promo Latios is the front runner.

But in the top is Latios promo :confused:

That's what the people are voting! Lol, it'll probably take a little bit for the better cards to rise to the top, just like a person who goes 0-5 can start the day at table 1.
Posted with Mobile style...

I've found 2 bugs:
- When you turn your phone horizontally, the app crash
- I've to compare 2 hariyama in the same turn.

Besides that is interesting, but sometimes i don't think if you have to compare a LEGEND with spinarak, I mean, there must be tiers, eg: Trainers and energies, commons, uncommons and rares. And the top 10 common can be compared with uncommon and the top 10 uncommon with the rares.

EDIT: Another suggestion is removing the basic energies, the top legend parts and the reprints from CoL or Promos (I compare between the 2 Pineco)

Last edited:
...Can some sane man explain to me how in the good Lord's name how Meganium prime is the top card??

Does every card have an equal chance of being displayed?
Also some cards are reprints and their votes are probably getting split between them.

I've found 2 bugs:
- When you turn your phone horizontally, the app crash
- I've to compare 2 hariyama in the same turn.

Besides that is interesting, but sometimes i don't think if you have to compare a LEGEND with spinarak, I mean, there must be tiers, eg: Trainers and energies, commons, uncommons and rares. And the top 10 common can be compared with uncommon and the top 10 uncommon with the rares.

EDIT: Another suggestion is removing the basic energies, the top legend parts and the reprints from CoL or Promos (I compare between the 2 Pineco)

Hmm... I was able to reproduce the horizontal crash, I'm looking into it now. It doesn't seem to happen if you turn before you vote, only if you turn it when you're in the middle of voting. Probably has to do with a network call, but I'll see if I can fix that. App is sized for portrait view but left the ability to do landscape for tablets.

As for comparing the same card, since the system gives a point to the winner and takes a point from the loser it ends up being a moot vote with nothing changing. I may consider trying to filter that out though, but it doesn't affect the rankings, just sort of annoying.

I left the reprints in for now, though I may try and take them out. Some people prefer different art or holo affect or whatever, so I think it's fair enough to leave them in, but we'll see. Also, there's plenty of cards where I'd choose a HGSS energy over the other card, lol.

Does every card have an equal chance of being displayed?
Also some cards are reprints and their votes are probably getting split between them.

Yeah, it's completely random which two cards are displayed, that's why the same card can even be displayed twice (see above). So just like when you roll a die and get three 4s in a row, that's just the luck of the draw, not that 4 is more prevalent than 5 or anything.

See above for the duplicate comment, but I may combine them down the way.

Forget platforms (unless this is just a practice app for you). Just make a web version so you don't have to re-code.

I may do a web app as well, but I wanted a new Android project to work on.

---------- Post added 07/19/2011 at 02:13 AM ----------

Hmm... so the non conventional methods I used for data storage didn't seem to scale well, lol. Changed up what's important, so everything should display correctly again. Sorry about that guys.

Back