Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PokeThoughts By Dave II: Yamato, A Goodwill Ambassador

dld4a

Feature Writer
It was one of the most wonderful exhibitions of sportsmanship, gamesmanship, and pure stamina that I have ever seen.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

After having played all day Saturday in the swiss rounds, and all the way through the top eight on Sunday, I’m sure that nearly all of us would have been Pokemon’d out, but not this young man. Yamato (the 2004 15+ Pokemon TCG world champion) showed up at the pavilion I believe as early as 4:00 PM, and began to take on competitors. Before he could even start to shuffle his deck another player would sit down across from him, but he would almost always finish shuffling before his opponent. We were stacked up five to six players deep at times with never less than three. There was a constant crowd of fifteen to forty huddled around trying to get a glimpse of the master and potentially grab a spot in line. I’m guessing an average of fifteen minutes per game (it could have easily been ten or less), and considering that he was still there playing at 4:00 AM when I left, that’s a minimum of 48 games. The number was probably closer to 60 games or more. I stepped out a couple of times through out the night so I did not see every game, but I saw him lose only two and could only confirm three others. One of the loses that I saw was to a Medicham EX deck that Yamato was beating severely in the beginning of the game with only a single energy in play. In the end though his deck just couldn’t maintain such an incredible feat and he was narrowly defeated. The other loss that I witnessed was the one win of the four games that my son played against him. It was somewhat of a mirror match that was well played on both sides. This win record is made even more amazing by the fact that his competitors were watching all of his previous games, memorizing his decks, and trying to learn his playing style (which would vary from game to game to an incredible degree). I saw him make zero mistakes! His disposition remained light and cheerful through every game!
Now you may be saying to yourself, stamina? O.K. That’s obvious! Gamesmanship? O.K. that is an impressive record! Sportsmanship? He did remain cheerful all night long! But how does this fit the true definition of a goodwill ambassador? Well I noticed that early on in the night he was using a Pokemon Company issue plastic coin and flipping it high in the air. I believe that he was doing this intentionally to dissuade the rumors about the Japanese coin flipping “techniques”. I also noticed that he would lay out his opening hand on the table before looking at it to demonstrate that there were only seven cards. But I noticed in my two games against him that he was taking his cues on whether or not to do this and whether or not to cut his opponents deck from his opponents. It seemed as if the entire night was dedicated to the display of the wonderful Japanese temperament, dedication, and sense of fair play. I am beyond impressed!
Oh, one more thing about this young man. Earlier in the day (shortly after his loss in the top 8), I was so bold to disturb him a little. I knew that he had played Ludi/Cargo, which was also my deck of choice so I really wanted to show him a trick that I had built into mine. I pulled a Slugma from my deck and asked him if he used this one (Dragons/Lure Burn). Both he and his friend wrinkled their nose a little, and said “no” in a polite but disapproving manner, then Yamato made a flipping motion and said “Burn“. I held up an index finger and said “Wait, just wait.” I searched through my deck and flipped a Magcargo on top of the Slugma and slid a Double Rainbow Energy under the Slugma. Then started searching my deck again. When I got to the Meteor Falls and pointed it at the Magcargo they both, with an approving nod, and in unison said “Ohhh!”. I don’t say this to brag (well O.K. it did feel a little good to show the master a trick) , but really to say that during this process Yamato, with out having any idea that he might be playing against this deck in a few hours, had noticed that I ran a Crystal Shard. I did not point it out, but he put that little nugget of information away just on the off chance that we might battle. We did, and he intentionally did not play his Rayquaza because he recalled that fact.

After his win in 2004 I was duly impressed. After his display this year I am nothing less than a true fan.

If anyone can translate this and has Yamato's contact information I would be honored to know he has read this.
Thank you for reading,
Dave II

Last edited:
Yup, we all knew Yamato was good when he won Worlds 2004. After the marathon, we now know he's the best. Had Yamato gotten by RossC's crazy one-of-everything deck, I'm convinced he would've won Worlds 2005. JMO.

Great Article!

PokePop said:
Apologies for the delay in posting.

No prob. Thanks for your work.

SteveP said:
Yup, we all knew Yamato was good when he won Worlds 2004. After the marathon, we now know he's the best. Had Yamato gotten by RossC's crazy one-of-everything deck, I'm convinced he would've won Worlds 2005. JMO.

Great Article!
Thanks.
Did you notice that one of the decks he used for most of the night had at least one (and I think probably 2 or 3) sleeves that had split down the side but he was still able to play extremely efficiently with it. The whole display was just astounding.

Last edited:
A lot of people were telling me that Yamato had no favorable matchups in the Top Eight...Honestly, I failed to see their logic.

-Jeremy/Pablo/Plaid's Nidoqueen deck, and Nidoqueen in general, is vulnerable for 4 battle frontier. 4 desert ruins is very good, but if a battle frontier locks, then Ludicolo has just gained a significant advantage. With above 50% matchups on both of them, he wins this.
-If he faced vs Ken, then who knows...it could have gone either way. Yamato made a misplay by not putting in Rain Dish Lombre.
-I don't think that Sami had a shot vs Yamato. Ninetales is not very useful, and Cham is countered by the Wobbuffet. GG Sami =(
-Jaime would have gotten smashed for the same reason that Jermy/Pablo would have: BF lock hurts, and Yamato will most likely pull it and keep it out
-Eric probably had the 2nd or first best chance at beating yamato.

SOOOO, just comes to show you that this game is a lot about matchups, and that yamato very well might have pulled the double! =)

Agreed. Matchups are key when players are near the same skill-level. I too lost to RossC (the same person/deck who beat Yamato). Ross's deck choice was instrumental in his success throughout the tournament. Obviously, Ross most likely would've lost earlier had he faced a Nidoqueen deck. Heck, I would've had a better shot at beating those Nidoqueen decks with my ZRE than Ross did with his Tyranitar/everything deck. Not that Ross or I are any better (or any of the Top32 players, except for the general concensus that Yamato is the best given all luck-based things equal).

One of the best players out to date! Yamato is awesome! He has the true potential to continue being the best. He always knows his strategies and playing with honor.

I respect him for that.
Peter

Wonder if pui would give him an Invite to worlds without him making top4, just cause it Yamato....hey maby the t4 invites from worlds 05' got passed down ;-) lol

i went up to him and asked him to sign a card,afterwords he started thanking me for letting him sign one of my cards.

just another example of how polite he is

Last edited:
Mudkip said:
I'll still disagree, Nidoqueen has a field day vs Ludicolo.

Pablo , You recent threads/replies are exactly why you are not getting respect. Respect is earned not demanded. Every time you post Shows why you have not earned respect. If Yamato had have won Worlds 05' Do you think he would eb complaining if he was not getting respect or if it was called a 'fluke' or a lucksac? I dont. He would let people think what they want and show them during the next season. In my oppinion if anyone deserves respect it would be jeremy , I haven't seen him complain yet , If he has than disregard this sentence. But IMO you have ruined your chances at any respect for this season with your recent whining and complaning. Want respect? Back it up next year.

Oh , and your quote imo is dead wrong. Ludi VS Nidoqueen is a pretty even match as it seems to me via appr. I guess if your really wanted to know you shoulda challenged yamato. You were there with the rest of us. We moved seena to the top of the line 2x. You or jeremy shoulda stepped up...

Good day Pablo.

Steve

Last edited:
show some respect...

3 place in worlds had to give u some respect i think.... did you saw the game against jeremy ? i did... i played against yamato in the marathon and i beat him he is a great pleayer but he never had a chance with a ludicargo deck , maybe with other deck but not with that one... he will be back next year but i dont think he will win again worlds... im sorry for all the yamato fans... but luck its so important in this game you saw it... in worlds 2005 ...

Squirtle said:
Pablo , You recent threads/replies are exactly why you are not getting respect. Respect is earned not demanded. Every time you post Shows why you have not earned respect. If Yamato had have won Worlds 05' Do you think he would eb complaining if he was not getting respect or if it was called a 'fluke' or a lucksac? I dont. He would let people think what they want and show them during the next season. In my oppinion if anyone deserves respect it would be jeremy , I haven't seen him complain yet , If he has than disregard this sentence. But IMO you have ruined your chances at any respect for this season with your recent whining and complaning. Want respect? Back it up next year.

Oh , and your quote imo is dead wrong. Ludi VS Nidoqueen is a pretty even match as it seems to me via appr. I guess if your really wanted to know you shoulda challenged yamato. You were there with the rest of us. We moved seena to the top of the line 2x. You or jeremy shoulda stepped up...

Good day Pablo.

Steve

I guess if your really wanted to know you shoulda challenged yamato. You were there with the rest of us. We moved seena to the top of the line 2x. You or jeremy shoulda stepped up...

I got in line, but it was really late and I actually forgot about it :p and yeah I was gonna request a game with each of his decks, there were like 6 people infront of me, they didn't let me infront of the line like Seena, o well whatever.

EDIT: and yeah did you honestly think my last thread was serious? well it wasnt lol, you think that I want 3000 members of pokegym respect me for what I did? no not really, Jeremy and Adam and a select few are enough for me, and this 3rd place will only make me work harder in oder to win Worlds '06 as '05 escaped from my hands by a sillyness. the timing of the thread just felt right just to mess about with the whole Yamato worshipping mood of the pokegym =P but yeah take it as you will, I will stop commenting on Worlds related stuff now, done messing with people hehe and Steve none of my posts are intended to make you angry or portray that I am mad at you or anything.

Last edited:
Yamato did not play Battle Frontier. He had 1-2 Ancient Tomb as his only gym. I think his ludi would've lost to the 2 Nidoqueens. Jermy/Pablo/Plaid made the best deck for worlds, better than mine and Yamato's.
Yamato, great player, goodwill ambassador, not any better than me, jermy, pablo and many other elite players in the US.

Well, I really believe that yamato's one of the best players in the world, but he's not the best, there are a lot of people around the world that is quite as good or even better than yamato but they just don't have the luck or whatever than yamato had last year, let's just think about it, if he's the best player in the world, why is that he didn't win this year?.....because there are other people quite as good or even better, luck? yea that's true, but Yamato win 05' worlds with luck too....one of the best players? I really believe that, The best?, I doubt about it.... IMO we've to congrat and give the same credit than we give to yamato to the winners of this year, like Jeremy and Pablo, they spent lot of time just thinking about a deck quite different from the other ones, and they get good results at worlds, maybe that's the key, getting a deck quite different from the others, and not just prototypes of a deck..... If you wanna be someone that everyone knows in the world of pokemon, well, just make a good different deck, be nice with the other players and be honest.....just like yamato

I'd just like to say that in writing this article I meant no disrespect to any of this years competitors. Especially the top finishers. They all proved their excellence in building decks and playing the game. Congratulations to all the top finishers!

Yamato matched up poorly against RossC's Tytar/everything deck, plus Ross knew his deck well. Heck, Ross even won a game in finals with his crazy deck despite a serious mismatch. Ross still gets my vote as the best player in Top4, and Yamato in Top8. Pablo, no disrespect intended, and of course, I'm not mad at you. Repeat your Top16 feat next year and you'll be on my fantasy team. :biggrin: (Same goes for Jeremy.)

And all this "Yamato worshipping" is VERY WELL founded. He's the one to beat next year, and everyone knows it. If there was a Pokemon Hall of Fame, he'd be the first inductee.

Last edited:
Back