Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pooka's Worlds 2005 Report - There's always next year!

Pooka

Master Trainer
Well I got to San Diego on Wednesday and got some playtesting in before Worlds. At 2 in the morning the night (or morning, whatever you want to call it) before Worlds, I still had NO idea what to play. The options seemed endless. I basically just decided to play whatever I pulled out of my binder. This is what it turned out to be.

Pokémon 21

4 Larvitar (Light Punch)
2 Dark Pupitar (Dark Streak)
3 Dark Tyranitar (Spinning Tail)
1 Dark Tyranitar (Sand Damage)
2 Pidgey
1 Pidgeotto
2 Pidgeot
1 Vulpix (HL)
1 Ninetales (HL)
1 Jirachi (DX)
3 Dunsparce (Yeah, I'm THAT bad.)

Trainers 24

4 Celio's Network
4 Rare Candy
3 Copycat
3 Desert Ruins
2 Steven's Advice
2 Rocket's Admin.
2 ATM Rock
2 Swoop! Teleporter
1 Mr. Briney's Compassion
1 Pokemon Retriever

Energy 15

4 Dark
4 Rainbow
2 Heal
2 Scramble
2 R
1 Double Rainbow

So I woke up at 6, got down to the Convention Center at 6:30, and was pretty sure this was the list I was going to run. I played a few more testing games to make sure this was the right choice. I didn't lose a single one, so I figured it couldn't be a terrible choice. Time flies by and the tournament is about to begin...

Round 1 - OOPS!

Time flew by a little too fast I guess. I COMPLETELY forgot to write my decklist and turn it in. I rushed to get it in, ran over to the table, and turned it in a couple minutes late. They told me I would get an automatic loss for Round 1... I begged them to let me slide, but no deal. It seemed a little harsh to me, but oh well. The only thing that got me mad was that the tournament itself started about 30 minutes late, and I still didn't get to play the first round. This basically ruined my day. =\

0-1

Round 2 - Salamence ex

This guy took 5th at Canadian Nationals and got a trip passed down. What a deal! Anyway, I had quite the scare this game. He flips over Slugma (RR) against my lone Jirachi. He goes first, Singe, Heads, and burns my Jirachi. I can't use Wishing Star to grab another basic, so I get really worried. If I don't get a basic, he can just Heat Tackle for the win. So I Rocket's Admin... and get a Dunsparce! Whew. He KOs my Jirachi, I use Strike and Run, and basically sit there for about 5 turns waiting for something. Meanwhile, he's building up Salamence ex and using Sudden Flash. Eventually I draw into a Pidgeot and set up (finally). After he KO's my Dunsparce with his, I play Desert Ruins and use Spinning Tail. He sends up Salamence ex for the KO (and didn't counter my Ruins). I send up my other Dark Tyranitar (it has a Double Rainbow on it), attach a Scramble Energy and Bite Off for the KO. He was clueless, he didn't think I could KO his Salamence ex. Next turn I Briney, play down the Larvitar, RC, Dark Tyranitar and Scramble (so Spinning Tail does 20 to the bench instead of 10). For the next couple turns I just use Spinning Tail while he builds up another Salamence ex. He finally KO's that Dark Tyranitar, and I just ATM Rock for like 23 and a half prizes for the win.

1-1

Round 3 - Jumpluff/Zapdos (Kyle B.)

Well, another lone Jirachi start, this time against a Hoppip. I figured as long as I got something going I'd be fine. My opening hand didn't look so hot, but oh well. He went first and got Heads on Miracle Powder, and for the second game in a row, I was unable to use Wishing Star first turn. -_- This game is sort of blurry to me, but I remember getting a Ninetales out and attempting to Quick Attack his Jirachi, but I got Tails and he survived. Eventually I retreated and got to Wishing Star. I got to Strike and Run, then he played Zapdos and KO'd me immediately. I sent up Ninetales and hit him for 50, then finally both of us sort of got set up. My deck has the unfair advantage over his. I use Spinning Tail a couple times, let him take his 3rd prize, then ATM Rock his Rare Candied Pidgeot and Jumpluff while KO'ing the active Jumpluff, and Rocket's Admin for an easy win. Nice game.

2-1

Round 4 - Dragtrode

This guy was from Italy. Dragonite is a sort of easy matchup for Spinning Tail. Basically I just starting using Spinning Tail until I got 80 damage on both his Dark Dragonite. He made a couple questionable moves as well. The biggest one being when he moved all 4 Dark Energy to his Rocket's Sneasel ex with 20 HP left to KO my Dark Tyranitar when he had another Rocket's Sneasel ex with 0 damage on the bench... I just remember using ATM Rock for the final 2 prizes.

3-1

Round 5 - Blaziken (Chris S.)

I knew he was playing Blaziken, as always. I figured it would be an easy win for me. We both had Jirachi starts, but he got going a little faster than me. He got a Blaziken ex up and Volcanic Ashed my Pidgeot. This is where I made my big mistake of the day. I really have NO idea what I was thinking, this was the worst play imaginable. Instead of using Spinning Tail and sticking to the strategy, I decided to attach a Scramble and Bite Off to KO his Blaziken ex. That would be a terrible move at ANY time really, even moreso right now. He sends up Pidgeot, plays Torchic/RC/Blaziken, Rayquaza, Multi, 2 Firestarter to Rayquaza, Rocket's Admin, and KO's me. I walked right into that one and I knew it right when I used Bite Off the turn before. I still did have a chance to win if my 2nd Scramble or 2nd R Energy isn't prized, but they both were and I couldn't really do anything. I was hoping he didn't play a 3rd Switching card (or it was prized) so I could Sand Damage his basics for 2 prizes, then KO Rayquaza ex for the last 2 prizes. However, he had the Warp Point and another Multi for the game. I truly did deserve to lose this game.

3-2

Round 6 - Medicham ex

I got paired up this round, which was good actually. Too bad I'm facing Medicham... Anyway, he was an Argentinan player. This was my opening hand this game: Larvitar, Larvitar, Larvitar, Heal Energy, Scramble Energy, Desert Ruins, Pokemon Retriever. OOPS! It's not looking too good for me. He goes first, attach, Wishing Star, and pass. I hit him for 10. He does the same thing again. I hit him for 10. He attaches, Swoop, Medicham, Sky Kick for the KO. I play my Desert Ruins and hit him for 10 again with another Larvitar. The game is kind of blurry to me, but all I remember is that he didn't counter my Desert ruins ALL GAME! Basically his Medichams were Poisoned all game, and the damage added up fast. I got a KO on one Medicham via Ruins, then the next with Pidgeot. The 3rd Medicham was giving me problems, and I was on the ropes. I have a Larvitar active with a Dark Energy against his Medicham ex with 40 damage on it. He has one prize left, and my only hope is to draw the Sand Damage Tyranitar to survive a turn. I draw... CELIO! Grab the Tyranitar, RC, and pass. He does 60, Ruins has him at 60 damage. I play the ATM Rock sitting in my hand for the game. Wow.

4-2

Round 7 - Medicham ex (Hot Mustid - I'm NOT typing up all those symbols buddy)

Great, another Medicham. I figured with a decent hand and Ninetales I should be just fine. I get an ideal hand vs Medicham, GREAT hand if you will. Dunsparce, Rainbow, Swoop in order to get the Vulpix and Ascension to Ninetales. He goes first, Wishing Star, attach, and pass. I attach and SaR, make sure my Vulpix and Ninetales are there... oh God. OH GOD! The first time all day I absolutely NEED the Ninetales, it's prized. Basically I still try to struggle to possibly win this game. In a turn or two, I Swoop to Larvitar, RC to Dark Tyranitar, and Grind for 30. He just Sky Kicks for the KO. I'm unable to draw into my Desert Ruins and Scrambles, so there's nothing I can do. Bleh.

4-3

Round 8 - Delcatty/Electrode ex (Anthony E.)

Both of us knew it was REALLY unlikely that we would make it with a win. Regardless, my deck has a pretty unfair advantage over his. I get a turn 2 Dark Pupitar with a Dark Energy and just start plowing through all his Fighting Weak things. I got a Sand Damage Tyranitar out and the game ends fairly quickly. He blew up his Electrode ex just so I wouldn't kill him. lol

5-3

Me and a bunch of other 5-3 people are waiting to see who made it. Since my first round loss KILLS my resistance, I have basically no chance of making it. I look and... 42nd. Oh well, what can I do? Worlds was a blast. There's always next year!

nice job anyway Pooka, I can't believe we both lost to Schell :(, 5-2 technically, and you didn't make the cut... yet a 5-3 goes on to T8, unjust I say!

Tough break Pookavich. You probably could have Top 32'd if it wasn't for that first round auto-loss. Ah well, I was in the same boat as you, being 5-3. Like you said... Next year. :D

Pooka said:
Round 1 - OOPS!

Time flew by a little too fast I guess. I COMPLETELY forgot to write my decklist and turn it in. I rushed to get it in, ran over to the table, and turned it in a couple minutes late. They told me I would get an automatic loss for Round 1... I begged them to let me slide, but no deal. It seemed a little harsh to me, but oh well. The only thing that got me mad was that the tournament itself started about 30 minutes late, and I still didn't get to play the first round. This basically ruined my day. =\

0-1

This looks like the Chuck of 2005. "Oops I forgot to register for the STS, I guess I'll play in unlimited side events." That situation does seem kinda ehhh though. I mean if the tournament starts late wouldn't they be able to incorporate you in the first round without having to deal you a percentage-shattering loss? =/

5-2 at Worlds is a huge feat, though. You've set such high expectations for yourself that you probably don't appreciate how good 5-3 at Worlds really is. GJ this year and those in the future.

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA!

Moss Factor said:
Pooka, because hey Edit Post something like that again and its a ban.

Gawd thanks a lot moderators. You could have at least let me seen what mossy said before editting it.

Serves you right, Pooka, for stealing my trip to Worlds.

LOL, great job, and you were shafted completely with that first round trash.

bullados said:
Serves you right, Pooka, for stealing my trip to Worlds.

thats sig worthy, ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

gj kyle, ALWAYS NEXT YEAR BUDDDY... Nice deck choice, should of worked on it longer :)

We need to test more :)

POOOOKA Great job ^_^ that auto loss first round would be one of my nightmares, well my nightmares would prolly be getting kicked out of worlds for dropping a card on the floor lol....
Oh just to let you know, In Alberta, some where inbetween Calgary and Edmonton, theres a city by the name of POnOKA lmao

Didn't Pooka used to show up to his games?

Atleast nobody got drunk and threw a deck at you this time.

I just read your report, that stinks man... the were delayed anyways with the round start. Still, 5-3 at Worlds is still a great record... I wish I could have gone to Worlds. Oh well, as Ness would say, there's always next year...

I'll see yah when I return to Chicago in the winter... keep everyone on their toes in SE WI till then...

Pooka you need to prepare better for incoming decks (literally) you made no effort to counter (dodge) what was thrown at you :lol: seriously tho, gj pooka, you're one heck of a player, i don't think we've played irl have we? either way seriously man you're really good, and I'm sure if you hadn't gotten that 1st round loss, you would've gone far (until you faced Queen of course :wink:)

GJ Pooka. We need to play sometimes. That sucks they gave you a loss at the beginning. What's the strategy of your deck?

Last edited:
The dream is dead! Didn't know that happened to you 1st round, sorry bro =(. It was cool meeting you, even if you did donksack me out of t4 in that draft sunday night, lol. See you on irc.

I won that draft game we played, I SWEAR I knocked out a Teddiursa!

btw, Murkrow evolves into Meganium ex too, and according to Foisy MY energy wasnt a swoop:)

~AJ

Back