Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Unlimited Porydonk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiwei87tan

Repost due to mod saying i didn't comply with the rules by didn't post up the strategy and it's not a 60 card deck(even though it is) as well... oh well.................... =/

I built a Porydonk deck but i have been having difficulty winning in play testing due to all the trainer lock from spiritomb/vile and some goth trainer lock deck and assuming full bench.. So how to increase the chances/ensure win against those deck?

My current list looks like this:

Pokemon: 21
2 Azelf LA
1 Drifblim UD
1 Drifloon SF
2 Porygon TR
2 Porygon2 GE
1 Regice LA
1 Rotom UD
4 Sableye SF
4 Unown R LA
3 Uxie LA

T/S/S: 37
2 Broken Time-Space
4 Computer Search
4 Erika
4 Item Finder
1 Luxury Ball
1 Mr. Fuji
2 Oracle
4 Poke Drawer +
2 Pokemon Collector
1 Pokemon Retriever
1 Pokemon Trader
4 Scoop Up
4 Seeker
1 Swoop! Teleporter
1 VS Seeker
1 Windstorm

Energy: 2
2 Boost Energy

Strategy: (copied and paste from an article by Scizorliscious at pokebeach/sixprizes, some of the cards he have in his porydonk was not included in mine to cater to my own preferences)

PoryDonk operates on a standard Unlimited engine- Uxie, Professor Oak, Poké Drawer +, etc. are used for drawing through most, if not all, of the deck (scroll down to decklist for scans). PoryDonk's way of donking is to set up Porygon2 GE (with Broken Time-Space) and using its PokéPower, Download, to use Seeker repeatedly. One Seekers up the Porygon2 with Download and plays it back down again, ready for another Seeker to be used with its Power. Once the opponent's benched Pokémon have all returned to the opponent's hand, Drifblim UD can be used with Boost Energy to Take Away the opponent's Active Pokémon. Once that all has been completed, one's opponent will have no Pokémon in play, thus losing him or her the match. And remember, this is all done on the first turn. (basically get drifblim as active with boost energy and porygon2 on the bench with Broken Time-Space and use seeker returning and putting it down again with Broken Time-Space and seeker again and again and again with porygon2 power til opponent don't have any bench and attack with drifblim to return opponent active so you win with opponent don't have any pokemon.)

The Pokémon

Drifblim

I chose to play a 1-1 Drifblim line. This is fairly standard, as any prized Drifloon or Drifblim can be taken care of with Azelf, and Drifblim isn't truly necessary until the end of the game. As for my choice of Drifloon, the one from Majestic Dawn can attack if need be, but honestly, the Drifloon will most likely never matter.

Porygon2

This is played in a 2-2 line, only because it needs to be out fairly early so that all the Seekers in-hand can be used up to lower the hand size for Uxie or Professor Oak. The choice of Porygon, again, doesn't really matter all that much. GE is probably the most desirable (as it has a better weakness overall), but that will only matter if you're against a Fighting-type that can attack for exactly 30 damage (besides Tyrogue, which doesn't count Weakness) AND you have a Porygon active. Since this is pretty unlikely, I didn't waste my time or money on getting Porygon from GE, and if you have ones from TR (or any set for that matter), they should work just as well.

Uxie

This card is the best source of searchable drawpower in the game. The problem is that it does take up a useful bench spot, so including four would probably be overkill. Three tends to be a safe number, so that even if one is prized, you don't have to waste an Azelf (and a bench spot) on getting it out again.

Azelf

This is simply the best card for getting Pokémon out of your prizes (and checking them at the same time). If a Drifblim is stuck in there, Azelf will do the job. I play two only because of the 1-1 line of Drifblim. With 1 Azelf, the risk of both an Azelf and a Drifblim or Drifloon being prized would actually be fairly great.

Rotom

This is for those rare scenarios where two Broken Time-Spaces or Boost Energies are stuck in the prizes. It takes up a bench space, so it can be a pain (especially because you'll want to use Azelf to check your prizes first as well), but it's worth it.

Sableye

People have given me grief about this card, but I swear by it. It is the preferred starter for this deck, so it's run in a count of four. Its Overeager PokéBody lets you go first automatically, so in mirror match (or most matches against other Unlimited decks), this can give you the win.

Unown R

This is pretty standard for donk decks. Run with four, this card is simply placed down and discarded so that you can draw an extra card. It's very deck-thinning card, which makes it useful. It's not entirely necessary for the deck, but it helps a lot.

The T/S/S

The Drawpower

Professor Oak

This card can be pretty useful, but it's a double-edged sword. It's run in a count of three because, while it does provide great drawpower, discarding a Drifblim, Seeker, Item Finder, or Computer Search is never fun.

Erika

What can I say? It's a Trainer that lets you draw three cards. It's great. Running four even wouldn't be a bad idea.

The Searchpower

Computer Search

This is a great card. Discarding two cards to search for any one card is great, especially later in the game, where you'll run into dead draws such as Sableye, Boost Energy, and Broken Time-Space.

Poké Drawer +

Even without being able to play two at once, this card is fine. Just play it to draw a card. But if you happen to have a hand with two Drawers in it, play them both to get any two cards from your deck. That's why you run four. And remember - it's not a bad idea to use a Computer Search to get a Poké Drawer + if you already have one. It both thins your deck and lets you search for another card.

Pokémon Communication

Yeah, this card doesn't have to be run at all. But I play four. Part of it is that with 20 Pokémon, it can almost function as a Luxury Ball at times. The other part is that it can be oh-so-useful for getting a Drifblim or Porygon2 that can't be played yet into your deck so you're free to use a Professor Oak.

Dual Ball

If you need an Uxie, this can help. Just be sure not to get double-tails. An all-around good card to search out Basics, which this deck has plenty of.

Luxury Ball

One is standard, but more is unnecessary. Just getting any Pokémon is really useful in any situation.

The Recovery

Item Finder

This is a very useful card. Its best uses are on Seeker (since it was created before the T/S/S split, it can be used on Supporters), Erika, Poké Drawer +, and Scoop Up. Four are played just because it's so handy in any situation.

Scoop Up

Uxie loves this card. And it's great. You might even consider running four.

Pokémon Retriever

If you go second and happen to have a Drifloon or something KO'd, not to worry. Pokémon Retriever is here. no need to play more than one.

VS Seeker

Just another way to get Seeker back (and without discarding cards, like Item Finder). You'll really only need one - with this and four Item Finder, Seeker can usually be played about seven or eight times on average.

Switch/Warp Point

These cards are for getting your Drifblim Active. Switch for if there's a Spiritomb or anything else you don't want Active on the Bench, Warp Point for something Active you want Benched, such as something with Cessation Crystal. A 1/1 split should work fine, it's doubtful you'll be in either of those positions ever.

The S/S

Seeker

It would be hard to have PoryDonk without Seeker. This is what makes it all come together.

Broken Time-Space

In order to achieve a T1 Porygon2 and Drifblim, you'll need this. Two is a good number: enough so that it won't get stuck in prizes, but not so much that it clogs up your hand later.

The Energy

Boost Energy

You'll need this to attack with Drifblim. As with Broken Time-Space, two is a good number. Just remember that you have to attach it after evolving to Drifblim, and not before.

That should give a pretty extensive overview of the deck. Now, here's some cards you might want to consider adding instead of some of the less-important cards here:

Regice LA

This is a tech for Spiritomb. I don't play it because it's rare you'll draw into it before the Spiritomb goes away, but it does give you a good chance with it.

Special Darkness Energy

Obviously, this is only useful if you play Sableye. If there's a Pokémon Sableye can OHKO, you don't even need to set up Drifblim. Could work well with Pokémon Catcher/Gust of Wind to make sure you get a Pokémon Sableye can KO in the Active spot.

Tips for playing

-Remember to always have an Uxie or Professor Oak in your hand. Once you get this, you should be good.
-If you have Computer Search and Poké Drawer + in your hand, you can use Computer Search to get another Poké Drawer +, and then play both at the same time to search for two cards.
-Make sure you stick with your ultimate goal, rather than just trying to draw your deck. That is, make sure you donk (don't waste bench spots to draw a couple cards with Uxie, don't waste Item Finders, etc).
-The first time you search your deck, look for a full Porygon2 line, a full Drifblim line, Boost Energy, Broken Time-Space, and Switch/Warp Point (if necessary). If one of them isn't there, make a mental note and get it out of your prizes later.
-Remember to get stuff out in the right order: Broken Time-Space and Porygon, then Porygon2, then Drifloon, then Drifblim, then Boost energy. Make sure cards don't get stuck in your hand because you can't play them yet.

Additional cards not mentioned by his article:

Oracle
the supporter combined with Unown R to help win against deck that start with Spiritomb AR by searching for Regice LA.

Pokemon Collector
another supporter that help to search out Regice LA turn 1 against opponent active spiritomb.

Last edited:
Pidgeot could be a good sub for a subpar porydonk.. But pidgeot is stage 2.. Which would be slower compare to using driflim as rare candy can't be used on 1st turn..
Posted with Mobile style...

Well, it can with Broken Time Space and Rare Candy I would think. But, Mesprit (LA) would stop this deck.
Gothitelle I would expect it to run Cessation Crystal, Electrode ex, and some Scramble and DREs. Rescue Energy probably wouldn't hurt.

If u wanna be crazy. Try 3 space center then use more draw/oracle

Gust of wind is for active pokemon with cess. crystal.. Space center is bad as every turn you can only play 1 stadium.. So if I played space center and gotten rids of Spiritomb via gust or etc.. I can't continue to donk as I can't play BTS that turn.. =/ so this deck is like basically win all non mirror non trainer lock deck, but lose if goes 2nd against mirror or goes 2nd against trainer lock deck with their 1st turn vile or goth or even evolution lock and a 50% chance if goes 1st against Spiritomb start or goes 2nd against Spiritomb start with no 1st turn vile/goth/evolution lock..

If you are going to play Unown R, I would also play Challenge! (Team Rocket), that way it's foolproof to draw cards. It won't matter much anyways when you get Porygon 2 out. Windstorm can get rid of Space Center after you play it and gets rid of Cessation Crystal as well. Where's the Professor Oak? If you don't like Oak, you could run 1 Professor Elm (Neo Genesis). If you're worried about being able to play only one stadium you could opt for a couple Wally's Training and thicken the Porygon line and add a Dark Porygon 2 (to get a second stadium back).

Last edited:
The problem with Challenge is that your opponent can get more Pokemon on the bench, meaning you need more Seeker to win. And the problem with Space Center is that you can't play BTS in the same turn then.

I would consider Scott since it can get you the BTS and additional Seekers without much trouble, and maybe a Surprise Time Machine to get extra mileage out of a Porygon2.

Other than that not much else to consider.

What's still bothering me are those Unown R. You could be easily playing a thicker Porygon 2 line or 2-2 Claydol (Great Encounters) instead of that. 4 Bill's Teleporter might be better than that. And Dark Porygon can get a second stadium out with its pokemon power, but it's a coin flip. So you could play 1 Space Center ,1 Gaint Stump, or 1 Chaos Gym butthen again it's a coin flip. I like the TheRolesWePlay's Scott/Surprise Time Machine idea. The other thing that's bothering me is if they somehow manage to shut down Porygon 2's poke-power, Sableye probably helps.

I just made some changes to my list.. I removed 1 boost energy and 2 gust of wind for 1 pokemon retriever 1 windstorm and 1 special darkness energy.. I'm still thinking if there is really a need for crobat g.. =\

Alazor: I too was bothered by unown r in the deck at 1st.. But after playtesting them I fall in love with them.. They help me get out of bad hands so many times that I wish I could have more copies of them.. The only thing that bothers me about them now is perhaps their HP and if I get a single unown r and start 2nd.. But again.. Unlimited format are all about who start 1st and who are able to donk on the 1st turn nowadays..

Last edited:
Pokemon: 22

1 Azelf (LA)
1 Rotom
1 Drifblim UD
1 Drifloon SF
2 Porygon TR
2 Porygon2 GE
1 Regice LA (Spiritomb counter)
4 Sableye SF
1 Celebi (POP 2) <--- read this card, it's poke-power can get back supporters to the top of your deck
4 Ditto (Fossil) <-- should work well with Regice, Sableye counter, should work well against Spiritomb if you have a benched Baltoy.
1 Uxie LA
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol <---works with Celebi (POP 2)

Total No. of Basics:

No. of basics that compete with Sableye's Poke-body Overeager:

That's a little under a 50% ratio.

T/S/S: 35
2 Broken Time-Space
4 Computer Search
4 Erika
4 Item Finder
2 Surprise Time Machine! (Should work great with Claydol and Porygon 2)
2 Oracle
3 Poke Drawer +
2 Pokemon Communication
1 Pokemon Retriever
4 Scoop Up
4 Seeker
1 Swoop! Teleporter
1 VS Seeker
1 Windstorm

1 Boost Energy
1 Special Darkness Energy

Last edited:
Pokemon: 22

1 Azelf (LA)
1 Rotom
1 Drifblim UD
1 Drifloon SF
2 Porygon TR
2 Porygon2 GE
4 Sableye SF
1 Celebi (POP 2) <--- read this card, it's poke-power can get back supporters to the top of your deck
4 Ditto (Fossil) <-- should work well with Regice, Sableye counter, should work well against Spiritomb if you have a benched Baltoy.
1 Uxie LA
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol <---works with Celebi (POP 2)

Total No. of Basics:

2 Broken Time-Space
4 Computer Search
4 Erika
4 Item Finder
2 Surprise Time Machine! (Should work great with Claydol and Porygon 2)
2 Oracle
3 Poke Drawer +
2 Pokemon Communication
1 Pokemon Retriever
4 Scoop Up
4 Seeker
1 Swoop! Teleporter
1 VS Seeker
1 Windstorm

1 Boost Energy

looks cool.. i like that ditto fossil tech against spiritomb and celebi tech to get back cards but claydol power can only activate once a turn.. which in order to activate again i have to use surprise time machine.. so i feel that it's slightly not efficient enough.. =/

Pokemon: 20

1 Azelf (LA)
1 Rotom
1 Drifblim UD
1 Drifloon SF
2 Porygon TR
2 Porygon2 GE
4 Sableye SF
3 Uxie LA

Total No. of Basics:

4 Broken Time-Space
4 Computer Search
4 Erika
4 Item Finder
3 Professor Oak
2 Professor Juniper
3 Poke Drawer +
2 Pokemon Communication
1 Pokemon Retriever
4 Scoop Up
4 Seeker
1 Swoop! Teleporter
1 Windstorm

1 Boost Energy

Something like this?

Alazor.. Oak and juniper are very very very bad in this deck.. Tried that before and it totally ruin the synergy of the whole deck due to all the discard your whole hand..

Anyway I just realized why didn't I use pokemon collector and instead used oracle.. Lol! Against opponent Spiritomb start I can simply use collector to get regice and 2 other useless pokemon (sableye) or 2 unown R.. Drop down the regice and use the power to discard the 2 useless pokemon or use the 2 unown R to refill the 2 card loss.. If regice is in the prizes just searched for azelf.. All these easily slips under Spiritomb body..

I think the really only un-winnable game would only be either A) opponent start 1st and set up a vile or goth 1st turn.. Or B) opponent have 2 or more Spiritomb in play, 1 active the rest benched, and makes regice power useless.. =/ this are the only 2 situation that no way porydonk can win after many test playing assuming lots of different opponent starting line up.. So a deck that focus on goth or vile and if possible aerodatyl fossil will immediately and easily shut down the whole porygon deck.. =\

But so would Magby (Neo Genesis) and Muk (Fossil) if you don't start with Sableye. A T1 Muk can stop a lot of decks that can't OHKO Muk without poke-powers, poke-bodies, pokemon-powers. And some people play Muk (Fossil) with Spiritomb. Okay, so how about:

-3 Oak
-2 Juniper
+3 Collector
+2 Copycat (works with Erika)

You could play a Magby (Neo Genesis), don't know if the effect goes away if it's Gust of Winded to the bench though.

If you're playing Vileplume (Undaunted) I would add an Igglybuff (Neo Discovery) with Giant Stump.

I honestly don't understand why you're only playing a 2-2 Porygon2. In Unlimited, it should be easy to set up three, which will make the donk even easier.

alazor: that's why people say "unlimited: so interesting to theorize, so boring to play".. it all depends on who goes 1st.. "1st turn or nothing" gameplay..

Politoed666: what do you mean by set up 3? 3-3 porygon2 line? if that's what you mean.. cause throughout a game you only needs 1 porygon2 in play.. with BTS.. you use porygon2 power to use seeker and return porygon2 to your hand.. than put down porygon2 again with BTS and repeat with seeker.. so 2-2 line is more than enough and saves 2 slot for more useful stuff like trainers and etc.. btw.. Politoed666 you have a account on Bulbapedia right? i saw your charizard deck archetype over there.. if you want you can post porydonk up there too.. i know a few sites with articles about porydonk but no one put it up on Bulbapedia.. pm me if you want to..

3-3 Porygon 2 gets Porygon 2 out faster. How many Seekers do you need to play max? 5. You could play a 4-4 Porygon 2 line.

You don't necessarily need to play Ditto. You could play Spiritomb as well and add in some Warp Energy.
I would max out on Broken Time Space. There's a trade-off between starting first and playing the best list. That's what makes Unlimited fun to play.

My Old Decklist Idea for this deck.

I just tried 3-3 porygon2 line and 4 out of the 10 test playing I have porygon and porygon2 either stuck in my hand without enough discard outlet or they flooded the bench limited uxie and azelf.. They got out easier I agree but that also increased the chance of them being the active at start and that's pretty bad.. If there's slot actually I would prefer 2-2 porygon2 2-2 driflim 3 BTS and 3 boost energy.. But again that would create the same problem as faced by having 3-3 porygon2 line: hand stuck or bench flood..

If I were to play Spiritomb too.. I would max Pokemon collector and include unown Q instead of warp energy.. Pokemon is easier to search than energy..

Anyway I'm thinking of building a eelzone deck in unlimited format as my casual deck.. Do you think it would work in unlimited?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back