Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Post Rotation Theory-mon

redthirst

Okay, so I know we've got BRs, Nats, and Worlds before rotation, but I pretty well know what I'm going to play for the forseeable future and, assuming others are interested, I'd like to compile some opinions on what the post-rotation metagame is going to look like.

Here are a list of assumptions we can use as guide lines:
- everything before PL will be rotated out (that seems to be the popular opinion).
- league promos will not be legal if the set they're from is rotated out (uxie, claydol, etc.)
- cards from Japanese sets that haven't been spoiled/translated should not be discussed.

That's it.

Personally, I think fire is going to be very strong: Ninetails is the best draw I've seen post-rotation and combos very well with Typhlosion Prime for 3 cards and two energy drops a turn. Charizard has very high HP, is fast, and is brutal with a full bench. Best of all, the two playable water decks (Kingdra and Gyarados) will both be rotated out, and the other speed deck (Jumpluff) is weak to fire.

Thoughts? Opinions? Discuss.

Sp will be the strongest. The sp decks have their own engine, can spray the opponents power and their key cards aren´t rotated out. also cards which can counter sp decks like mewtwo, machamp etc are rotated out.
i also think that :grass: decks will be strong, because they have a good support. (Cherrim and Landmin for defense and sunflora as searcher. metapod against fire decks)

With a PT-On rotation, power-spray isn't going to be as effective, since all the sprites are out, as well as claydol. The only other draw power worth spraying is ninetails, and not every deck can use it. Trainer and supporter lock will continue to be big as most of the formats draw power is going to rely on those cards.

Unless of course we get some sort of new draw pokemon, but the seems to be moving away from that slowly.

the new kindra may be good play especially if rarecandy is coming in the next set
Kingdra - Water - HP 130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Seadra

Poke-Power: Blow Off Steam
You can use this power once during your turn. Place 1 damage counter on 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon. This power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[W] Dragon Steam: 60 damage. If your opponent has any Fire-type Pokemon in play, this attack’s base damage is 20 instead of 60.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

I like your perdiction but you will know if they come out with another drapion because drapion is from storm front and drapion x is from platinum.

Sp will be the strongest. The sp decks have their own engine, can spray the opponents power and their key cards aren´t rotated out. also cards which can counter sp decks like mewtwo, machamp etc are rotated out.
i also think that :grass: decks will be strong, because they have a good support. (Cherrim and Landmin for defense and sunflora as searcher. metapod against fire decks)

Great point about the engine, I can see how SP decks wouldn't be hurt as much by the loss of Claydol (some don't play it now) and Uxie. I don't know about the grass, though... Jumpluff (I assume this is what you mean by "grass" since it's the only grass deck played) needs efficient card drawing.

With a PT-On rotation, power-spray isn't going to be as effective, since all the sprites are out, as well as claydol. The only other draw power worth spraying is ninetails, and not every deck can use it. Trainer and supporter lock will continue to be big as most of the formats draw power is going to rely on those cards.

Unless of course we get some sort of new draw pokemon, but the seems to be moving away from that slowly.

This is also a very valid point: without cards like Uxie, Claydol, Azelf, etc. are SP decks still going to be running a full 4 sprays?

the new kindra may be good play especially if rarecandy is coming in the next set

The new Kingdra Prime is a beast. I can definitely see it's potential, but the -40 damage if your opponent has a fire pokemon really hurts it in my eyes since I can see fire decks being dominant, or even non fire decks splashing in ninetails and a few fire energy as a draw engine (if that's even viable).

Anyone think Arceus decks could do well after the rotation?

Fire will probably be the fastest deck in format, even faster than SPs (at least, when most of their drawpower gets rotated out, anyway). SPs do lose a few important cards, such as Uxie and Azelf, but the only counter left would be Donphan Prime. SPs may become bigger due to lack of counters, and if this happens, Donphan will also start to gain a lot of popularity. With Unown G and Warp Energy gone, decks that don't have free retreat will suffer immensely at the hands of Crobat G.

I'm still just waiting for everyone to realize that the Cyrus chain, which SP thrives on and everyone falls back on to defend SP as the eternal BDIF, will take a hit from all of the hand disruption that will be available. If they use all four Cyrus, they are vulnerable to:

-Giratina PL9
-Looker's
-Judge (JPN Battle Theme Decks)

And if they get a Cyrus with their previous Cyrus, they are vulnerable to:

-Cyrus's Initiative
-Weavile (Revived Legends)

Yeah, the Cyrus engine is great. When you have access to it.

I'm still just waiting for everyone to realize that the Cyrus chain, which SP thrives on and everyone falls back on to defend SP as the eternal BDIF, will take a hit from all of the hand disruption that will be available. If they use all four Cyrus, they are vulnerable to:

-Giratina PL9
-Looker's
-Judge (JPN Battle Theme Decks)

And if they get a Cyrus with their previous Cyrus, they are vulnerable to:

-Cyrus's Initiative
-Weavile (Revived Legends)

Yeah, the Cyrus engine is great. When you have access to it.

While your point is good, SPs will most likely fall back on Staraptor FB Lv.X. SPs don't really need drawpower now and Staraptor is a little hard to set up. However, without Uxie or Claydol, SPs need something to get set up in case they don't start with Cyrus and I believe Staraptor is the answer. If they get it set up (if being the keyword here, of course), hand disruption means little as they can just keep retrieving Cyrus.

^ i can agree, right now Arceus is loosing absolutely nothing. it never ran claydol, uxie, azelf, or any of those cards. ripple swell grabs energy, and ultimate zone moves them around. basically, it will be exactly what arceus is, god.

Yup yup. I've seen Arceus played, it's pretty fast for a deck without Claydol... it'll basically be next format's Luxchomp for a while...

Charizard should grow very strong, with having a better draw engine than other decks and all its enemies (Dusknoir, Gyarados) rotated out. The only good water deck I see for the beginning of the next format is Kingdra which ironically does less damage to fire.

Hand control will get powerful if you find a way to work it. With Sableye rotated out, Cyrus' Initiative spam should be more difficult. But Let Loose, Looker etc are really dangerous.

So, the current consensus seems to be that the top tier decks after roatation should be:

Charizard/Ninetails fire
SP engine
Arceus

...and that with the limited on-the-board card drawing, hand disruption will become much more powerful.

That sound about right?

I'm defiantely making a new age Holon Engine with Interviewer's Question, Collector, 1 Palmers, Copycat and PokeGear 3.0. Probably play like, 2 Cyrus just so I can grab ones of my choice and to increase likelyhood I grab a supporter at all. Not sure what i'll play Pokemon wise though. Probably an all basic deck so I don't have to deal with Bebe.

Back