Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

POW! Gardy with an Extension!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperWooper

I'm really bored right now, so I thought I'd type this up. As all of you know, Gardevoir in this format is not the greatest deck ever, to put it in a positive light. So I've put a lil' tweak on it to make it faster and stronger, but not necessarily better. List first, strategy later.

Pokemon: 23
4 Dunsparce
3 Ralts
3 Kirlia
2 Gardevoir
2 Gardevoir ex
2 Voltorb
2 Electrode ex
2 Skitty
3 Delcatty

Energy: 17
10 Psychic
4 Boost
2 Scramble
1 Rainbow

Trainers: 20
3 TV Reporter
3 Steven's Advice
3 Rocket's Admin.
3 Celio's Network
3 POW! Hand Extension
2 Rare Candy
1 Magnetic Storm
1 Surprise! Time Machine
1 Pokemon Retriever

The strategy should have become clear to you by now, or your brain is probably around the size of the average olive pit. You use Delcatty to put energy into the discard with Energy Draw, while drawing resources all the while. Electrode ex will then blow itself up, scattering energy all across the field, and in the process, giving the opponent two prizes. Now Rocket's Admin. and POW! Hand Extension will both work in your favor.

This Trode ex/POW!/Rocket's Admin./Scramble Energy combination has more synergy than most others of its kind, and the reason is clear. It's because Gardevoir's attack does more damage for each energy on the field. Electrode ex's power can potentially be used to add two Scramble energy and three Boost energy (although it is not advised) from the discard and onto the field, adding 150 damage to Psystorm's total in one measly turn, and furthermore, you may attach your fourth Boost energy from your hand, and Psy Shadow up to twice, during that same turn. In one turn, ladies and gentlemen (mostly gentlemen, this is Pokemon ;/), you have the potential to do 200 damage from having no energy on the field.

This kind of power is probably unparalled in this format, and, although incredibly incredibly unlikely, it shows how strong this deck can be. In addition to being strong, though, it's also pretty fast. I run a 2-3 Delcatty line and 3 Celio's Network. I will usually have Delcatty out Turn 3 at the latest, and the Electrode ex combo will go off shortly afterwards. I don't necessarily need five energy in the discard to use Electrode ex's power. It's all about when the oppurtune moment is.

Fix 'er up!

Ok first off, catty/Trode does not give you the cards you need at the time, i understand it gets more energy out, but pidgeot is better for that, Pow! is ok but not great, sure its a gust, but if you have to sack Trode to use it, it gives your oppenet a good help in the game. Admin with Trode is not bad either, but bottom line, i think that Pidgeot and 3-4 Candy is best, with 2-2 Wob/Wynaut.

funny how you just named his strategy and said it sucked. Anyway, i think it's a good list, but there's no need for a 3rd catty, add in another rainbow energy

Rayquaza can power up to 200 in one turn from 0 energy too, and doesn't give the opponent prizes in the process...

Gotta love when you do that, they drop the shard, and there goes 10 energy.

I really like it. It's very original, very different from the common G/EX/Wobbuffet/Pidgeot deck.

Nice idea, good luck with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Hey Supertyranitar - I really don't think you've played this version of Gardevoir. If you have, I apologize, but I suggest playing it before offering criticism. This is without a doubt the fastest version of Gardevoir available right now, and if not the most powerful, it's certainly close. It is definitely not the most consistant, but I'm working towards fixing that.

Pidgeot can find your Boost energy, but if you play Catty, you will find 2-3 Boost energy within one or two turns, since I play 4. Pidgeot finds TeCH, but notice that a lot of the TeCH usually in Gardevoir is not included in this deck. I can Trode ex Selfdestruct the Scramble energy from my discard onto Delcatty, and attach a Boost while I'm at it. That's an instant 180 damage to anything weak to colorless. Surprise! Time Machine is usually a late game card, and I will always find it middle-late game unless it's in my prizes.

SomethingElse - Thanks for the compliment. I actually include the 3rd Catty to up the chances of getting it Turn 2-3, and once I get one Catty on the field (sometimes I shoot for two, actually, if I get an über start), the 3rd one is TV Reporter trash. I will consider what you said, but usually, Electrode ex is just sitting on the bench, and Rainbow sees little use. If Pidgeot or Zapdos ex become problems (moreso than they already are), Catty or the Magnetic Storm is going to be the 1st thing to go.

lookinforwailordex - You obviously don't understand the strategy behind this deck. When you come back and look at it again, then I'll take your advice into consideration. Quite frankly, I find that Pidgeot and Gardevoir is not the best way to run the deck, and I will take all the bashing I get for that. I'd like fixes on this version of the deck.

Tagrineth - Your references to Rayzitrode, or whatever you call that thing, are completely off topic. I realize that Rayquaza ex is a powerful card, but the circumstances under which Rayquaza ex does 200 damage from having absolutely no energy on the field previously are much more difficult to set up than they are in this deck. Giving the opponent prizes is part of my strategy, and I think I can handle it. Thanks.

Prime - Thanks for the reply. This is a lot different than most mainstream Gardevoir decks. Pidgeot really isn't the best way to run it, IMNSHO, even though it is the most popular. We'll see if I stick with this deck as time goes on.

For right now, I'm debating Magnetic Storm's use in this deck. Desert Ruins is really the only thing I'm too worried about, and only Magma and Dragonite run more than one Desert Ruins. Often times Magma will run Magnetic Storm, and Dragonite can run many different gyms. AmphyTTar, if it plays any Ruins, will only play one (it needs at least 1 Rocket's Tricky Gym as well). Magnetic Storm is really not doing so much for me. It's still something I like to keep in here, but I'm thinking of another Rainbow in its place, as SomethingElse suggested, or another TV Reporter, to really speed things up.

Fix 'er up!

I have absolutely zero fixes, I just wanted to say that I like this. A lot. This is far from the conventional Gardy deck, and it's very well done. So, good job. That's it.

SuperWooper said:
Thanks for the replies.

Hey Supertyranitar - I really don't think you've played this version of Gardevoir. If you have, I apologize, but I suggest playing it before offering criticism. This is without a doubt the fastest version of Gardevoir available right now, and if not the most powerful, it's certainly close. It is definitely not the most consistant, but I'm working towards fixing that.

Pidgeot can find your Boost energy, but if you play Catty, you will find 2-3 Boost energy within one or two turns, since I play 4. Pidgeot finds TeCH, but notice that a lot of the TeCH usually in Gardevoir is not included in this deck. I can Trode ex Selfdestruct the Scramble energy from my discard onto Delcatty, and attach a Boost while I'm at it. That's an instant 180 damage to anything weak to colorless. Surprise! Time Machine is usually a late game card, and I will always find it middle-late game unless it's in my prizes.

Well, if it works for you, then keep up the good work :thumb:

More Cattys than Skittys.....hmmmmmm.........Where have i seen this before?

COUGHparisCOUGH ;P

Nice deck Wooper, very creative, looks solid, looks fun and it looks like something I'd probably never play in my life, lol.

. . .

I like it. :thumb:

In fact I think I may try it, I really didn't think Gardy had much of a chance in the new format, but this looks like a viable version. I agree with the others though. I don't think a 3rd 'Catty is needed. In the days long past before Celio's the 3rd is certainly understandable. I also think I would try and fit another 'Candy in. The ability to pull Electex outta nowhere is nice. Also helps to power up Gex since you can't attach directly to it after a bomb.
Ralts.
Bomb to Ralts.
Candy.
Bring pain.

But with the rampant running riots of Amphy decks, I understand the choice not to rely on Candy as much. HL Electrode might be another idea to consider. It doesn't matter how much damage it takes from psyshadows its gonna die anyways. :D Also another way to get energy in the discard (and not outright take the lead). Though 'Catty should have it covered by then I suppose. =/

It seems some people don't realize a well placed Electex-POW! is game changing. Especially in a 3-2 prize count in your favor with an EX on their side of the field. Its obvious that this deck CAN'T run with Pidgeot. Being able to discard ANY energy card to draw cards is the only way this deck survives.

Testing shows that this deck is more viable than I had hoped, but it's still not as viable as a tournament-worthy deck should be. That can only mean one thing: my hopes were too low to start with. ;p

Against AmphyTTar, this deck kinda just loses. My success against this deck was minimal, meaning I didn't win more than a handful of matchups. However, against every other deck I've come up against (except for the possibility of Magma, that matchup was pretty even), I've been mostly victorious. Blaziken, Dragonite, Blastoise, and Monarchy I've been able to handle. Magma was pretty even, it really came down to their Reversal flips.

Help versus the AmphyTTar matchup is what I'm in dire need of, obviously. What to do versus that matchup? Just concede? ;p

So you finally posted it...

The main problem I see is the speed. I would add a 4th Celio to maximize probability of a turn 2 Delcatty. I don't think that 3 Admins are absolutely necessary. You could take 1 out. I also think that having a 3rd Scramble would help, but I guess you've tested more than I have.

Trying this:

-1 Catty
+1 Rainbow Energy

-1 Magnetic Storm
+1 Celio's Network

The Storm wasn't doing much for me. If and when I see Desert Ruins being annoying when I scout around before States starts, I'll throw it back in, but I think a 4th Celio would be really nice as an extra Delcatty or Dunsparce, because if I don't start with Dunsparce, it's like 20% off my win ratio. I need to get up Electrode ex and Catty T3 latest, and to do that I need their preevolutions. We'll see how this works out.

SuperWooper said:
I'm really bored right now, so I thought I'd type this up.

you sure you typed this up any not copy and paste?i saw this deck already looks alot like it

Last edited:
tecdecs- Let's not bring up the situation on Neo. -___-

Woop- Nice list. 4th Celio is really great. I think you might also need another Candy, as I can see you needing to get a Trode ex or Gardy ex down in one turn from scratch. I would also cut an Energy, 18 is a lot. Another Gex or Gardy, personal preference really, would be extremly benificial IMO. GL with it Woop!

~Chu

Edit- Lol, I just noticed you only played 3 Ralts. ;x I would add another, maybe drop the Pokemon Retriever for it. Just some more random ideas from me.

tecdecs said:
you sure you typed this up any not copy and paste?i saw this deck already looks alot like it

I assume you're from Neo. Nearly everyone on that message board has been trying to pin me with netdecking ever since I've started posting here. I don't have access to Neo, though. How would I get their lists? -___- Gee, that made you look really smart. I've had this idea for some time now...
Physics Squirrel said:
So you finally posted it
...as evidenced by that quote. If you have fixes for it, go ahead and post them. Otherwise, you can go back to Neo and thrash me like the rest of them do, not feed worthless garbage to me on this board, too. If you think I'm being stereotypical, they've definitely earned it.

'Chu - 18 isn't a lot of energy for a Gardevoir deck. 19+ is a lot for a Gardevoir deck. Even though this is a different variant, I need that many energy. So many times, when I played with just 9 Psychic energy, I started with Dunsparce but no energy I could attack to it. I'm not going to have that happen. 3 Ralts is definitely enough, why would I play four? Catty and Trode ex do some attacking. I must have at least 1 Rainbow for Pidgeot and 2 Scramble for Draggy and Salamence. The boost won't be dropped, either. I could try dropping a Psychic again, but it's not going to happen in the long run unless I get a miracle.

3 Ralts has been working perfectly. I don't want a T2 Gex, I don't want an early lead. Playing a 4th Ralts ups the chance that if I don't start with Dunsparce that I won't mulligan, and that's not good. This deck needs Sparce setup, more than Draggy, more than AmphyTTar, maybe even more than Blaze (there's no T2 Pidgeot with a free retreat if you start w/ Pidgey). Plus, I only usually ever get out 1 Gex and 1 regular Gardevoir (which becomes another Gex if it must [Surprise! Time Machine]), and 3 Ralts is fine for that. A 4th would be illogical.

What do I cut for a Candy? There's really nothing to cut, actually. I'm down to the bare brass tacks here (I think that's a good expression for that situation), and another Candy isn't that beneficial. I'm trying to beat AmphyTTar, not lose to it. AmphyTTar doesn't run Reversal or POW! Some lists can run 1 POW!, but it's generally a waste of space. =/ They're not going to pick off my Voltorb, and I won't need another Electrode ex selfdestruct.

2 Trode ex suicides + 1 Gex = 6 prizes.

Think I want to lose? ;/

I'll take everything you said into consideration, but you're going to have to persuade me that your way is better. On the surface, what you said seems illogical to my feeble mind.

Nice deck, cool concept. All I would do is drop the S!TM for a Wobo. If you're playing Psychic you should always play at least one. I'd probably drop a Psychic for another Rainbow too.

I don't see why Neo people would bash you. From what I've seen you're a pretty smart, talented player who knows what he's doing.

Just some random ideas, I haven't tested this deck at all, so you know more than me on it. I don't know if this is the best way to run Gardy, but the Trodex/Pow/Admin combo is good, but there's only one combo that I've seen thats actually made the combo GREAT. GL with it, Woop..

Chuck - Ehh, there have been issues. No good digging 'em up right now, but I've done an okay job of moving on, even if they can't handle it. Thanks BTW. I will consider the Wobbuffet. Zapdos ex isn't too big right now here and neither is Sally ex, but a few people play Zap, so it's definitely something to look in to. As of right now, I think Electrode ex can handle Zapdos ex (for the most part), but there are other decks that have EX threats.

'Chu - Sorry if I seemed offensive before. I was PO'd at some people. I really am taking your ideas into full consideration. I'll try them all and see how it works. I agree that Gardevoir is not a tournament-viable deck at the time, and probably won't be ever again, but I'm kinda attached to it. This is just a side-project, not what I'm actually working on. Thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back