Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Premier Limited Tournaments???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARMondak

What do you guys think about having competitive Sealed/Draft events? It seems like a neglected part of the TCG that could really give players who maybe don't have the cards to compete on a top level, and it takes a different skill set than Constructed.

Discuss.

thatd be cool..
idk why but im soooo awesome @ draft..
3/2/3 ludi DX
4 plusle @ worlds draft FTW

While there is skill in limited, it all depends on what format. Sealed would be out of the question, WAY too much luck involved. Booster draft is so so In my opinion but the best way will always be rochester draft. I still would be opposed to premier sealed tournaments, lets not turn pokemon tournaments into magic pro tours.

We've had this discussion before.

I'm still not sold on sealed (of any sort) being a viable format to award prizes (and perhaps Worlds invites).

Draft & Rochester work well with 8 people. I don't think either works will with 20 or 30 people.....

Nice idea, but draft (if players are given there to packs to walk off with and build their decks) is VERY easy to cheat in. (Slip me a _______ mate, ill give you a _______).
Also its incredibly luck based...

What I'd like to see is the pre-releases we already have giving SOME sort of prize, (even if it's only something small!) to the winner of each agegroup. A pre-release "winner" card perhaps? Just something to say that that player has achieved something.

Although the old way of "winner gets half a box etc" was RUBBISH and UNFAIR, i fear we have gone to the other extreme of "Oh you won a P-R, so what, who cares, go celebrate with your luxio" which is a shame! However much luck is involved, it still requires some skill to win a Pre!

Draft has seemingly been consigned to an extended league session, with new cards. A shame if ever I've heard one..... :frown:

To those who say it is luck based... why? Is it because of a lack of a draw engine?

Drafting is a different kind of skill. The problem with limited is that sets have to be designed for limited, which I don't think Pokémon currently does. But if limited works, then there should definitely be some premier tournaments. Those who can't / won't play can sit out.

If Pokémon sets allow for a sensible limited environment, the naysayers are being ridiculous.

To those who say it is luck based... why? Is it because of a lack of a draw engine?

Drafting is a different kind of skill. The problem with limited is that sets have to be designed for limited, which I don't think Pokémon currently does. But if limited works, then there should definitely be some premier tournaments. Those who can't / won't play can sit out.

If Pokémon sets allow for a sensible limited environment, the naysayers are being ridiculous.

I totally agree. Wholeheartedly so!

However, there will always be opposition to limited because of the luck involved....when opening packs!

Say i (amazingly) draw 3-3-1 rhyperior, 2-2 medicham, 4 chatot, 4 rowans etc etc from DP. (Thats just an example!!!!!)
Alternatively, my mate could have taken those packs above^ and I end up with the following-
1-1 drapion
2-1 grotle
1-1 vespiquen
1-1 buisel
and a load of other rubbish!

How did he get such an amazing deck--> Luck.

Pass around draft is slightly more fair, but large events would be too difficult to handle.

Pass draft works well enough even at large events.. (use pods)

Rochester whilst probably the most skilled format takes ages to call (2+hours) and is not suited to large open events, primarily because you need multiple table callers.

I do think that a 30 card limited format would be beneficial. Possibly also a no-search-trainers limited format. Potion, switch etc allowed. No foils is also a possibility. The aim being to ensure that everyone is working with the same rubbish rather than being lucky and drawing an uber-card.

I still say that sealed has more skill then people give it credit. I've never seen a truly unplayable 6-pack of packs, and I've seen some bad packs before. Sealed is all about things like numbers of basics, energy count (and balance), and proper deckbuilding decisions. While it's no constructed, it certainly has less luck then most people claim.

I totally agree. Wholeheartedly so!

However, there will always be opposition to limited because of the luck involved....when opening packs!

Say i (amazingly) draw 3-3-1 rhyperior, 2-2 medicham, 4 chatot, 4 rowans etc etc from DP. (Thats just an example!!!!!)
Alternatively, my mate could have taken those packs above^ and I end up with the following-
1-1 drapion
2-1 grotle
1-1 vespiquen
1-1 buisel
and a load of other rubbish!

How did he get such an amazing deck--> Luck.

Pass around draft is slightly more fair, but large events would be too difficult to handle.

I can say that in my pre wins that I've never had a solid draw engine or pokemon line. I've even considered dropping after seeing what I pulled but I ended up going 3-0 or 4-0 with it. Someone at Worlds 05 UF Prerelease pulled a 3-2-1-1 Meganium ex line. He went 2-3 with it. I went 3-2 with a 2-2 Bayleef line. Because you were allowed to use the prerelease card.

Sealed to a point is luck, but to know what basics and everything to put in the deck is skill.
Drafting, especially Rochester Draft is very skilled, as well as Draft, if you can pay attention. To have a "draft battle road" I would think would be quite interesting as a change of pace after worlds to keep everyone interested

Sealed to a point is luck, but to know what basics and everything to put in the deck is skill.
Drafting, especially Rochester Draft is very skilled, as well as Draft, if you can pay attention. To have a "draft battle road" I would think would be quite interesting as a change of pace after worlds to keep everyone interested

Yea, I really like the idea of a draft BR.

Another idea I had is for the top cut of major tournaments (Regionals and up) is to do a draft (podding each side of the bracket together in the same draft). Thoughts on that?

Seeing as draft is my forte, I'm all for it. Like others have said, it takes a lot more skill to win at draft than most people think (especially with the newer sets).

- Croatian_Nidoking

Premier Draft would be sweet.

That's probably my favorite limited format.

I would love to participate in a bunch of those.

Drafts are very fun and i dont think that pokemon really gets enough of them. pre is ususally sealed, with a draft after if your lucky, and we dont have any other form of organized draft. so i would like the idea of organized drafts. for rating points mabey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back