Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Previous Sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Audubon

Okay, so here's my story: I used to be big in Pokémon TCG up until 2001. And since then, my job keeps me very busy. Obviously, I've missed a lot in the couple of years (so no one needs to be funny and put a "duh" reply here), and y'know, maybe I want to get back into this...

So, my question is, with all the new sets that are out, what is the status of previous sets, especially in regards to tournaments (official or otherwise), and such? (I think the most recents cards I have are from Neo Genesis, and maybe a couple from Neo Discovery.)

Any relevant information shall be greatly appreciated.

First off, most Tournaments are Modified, which currently means Neo Genesis and later, minus Genesis Slowking and Sneasel, plus Promos 21+ (I think) and reprinted cards (including LC). The cutoffs will change soon, but it has not yet formally been announced what they will change to. For those that are Unlimited, at least a few cards from every set are enjoying huge popularity in the format.

We don't know, as WotC involvement in the game has ended, and Nintendo has yet to announce what formats will be availible.

Banning older sets allows a demand for newer product and encourages new players to play without having to have very old cards that are not printed anymore.
-Phil

Well, I understand creating a demand for the newer product (although I would think that just making a better product would do the same thing...) But doesn't banning the older stuff make stores that are stuck with the older stuff fell like it might not be worth ordering the new stuff - espically since there's a decrease in demand for the old stuff that they're stuck with? And people who worked hard to complete their early sets (or to get certian cards) just to find out they can't use them?

It seems kinda silly to me... But then, I don't play the game. :)

I had a thread on that subject, Bob. I've still never played Modified, but I can see exactly one advantage for a player like me. You see, especially in combination with cards from the Neo and E sets, some of the older cards are extremely broken. Modified gets them out of the way, which increases the variety of deck types that are playable -- since you don't have to worry about these super-broken Pokemon (Sneasel, Slowking, Wigglytuff, Chansey, etc. ad infinitum), you can focus on finding a fun strategy.

Broken -- A card which, either alone or in an easily-accomplished combination, yields an unfairly overpowered effect.

Couldn't cards like that be taken care of simply by banning those cards, instead of the older series?

Also, isn't there pretty much a counter card for every card out there?

Again, I don't play the game, so please forgive my stupidity... :)

UncleBob said:
Couldn't cards like that be taken care of simply by banning those cards, instead of the older series?
Yes, they can, but that would be an extremely high amount of effort, and would probably result in most of the playable cards in the sets being banned anyway.
UncleBob said:
Also, isn't there pretty much a counter card for every card out there?
Again, yes, there is, but as someone who plays Unlimited, I can tell you that having those cards available leads to a very annoying situation -- you either play those cards, counter those cards, play and counter those cards, or lose. There are maybe 3 or 4 dominant deck types (and I do mean dominant) in Unlimited, and even those share many characteristics.

Just to voice in a thought on modified... personally one aspect of modified I like, is the fact it requires players to come up with a new deck every now and then. Back at one of my older leagues I used to run, there where a few older players who basically kept using their old classic haymaker decks, and constently take down the younger players. Even at my current league there is one player who uses the same deck from the Base Set - Fossil era... its great he has fun with it and the league, but its the same deck every time someone plays him... thankfully he is now expermenting with some card-e and EX cards :)

It would just be boring if the tournament scene was constently the same decks. Modified requires at times for players to think outside the box, and, in some cases try decks which seem like crazy ideas... but when in motion they can pull off some really great things.

-marril

Let the record show that I have nothing against Modified -- I just don't feel like I have what it takes to play it. What I would like is a hybrid format, like Magic has. Not quite Unlimited, not quite Modified, but a little bit of each.

Eh, Modified is dumb. Unlimited is greatly more strategic and fun in general. Obviously, I still play Modified, because it is what the competitive format for tournements is, but Unlimited takes much greater skill to play where as MF is a simple type advantage war mainly with no disruption. Its not BAD, just not as GOOD as Unlimited.

My problem is all that money I spent on Rocket, Fossil, Jungle and Base Set 1 is mostly wasted money in a Modified league. I understand WHY they ban the cards, but many of us spent many many days wages on the things, and now they just clutter up our rooms.

Android17a: but that's why Wizard reprinted many of them in LC and the Best of Promos. So you should be able to play with MANY of your old cards after all.

Yeah, but still I think the way to alleivate the problem would be to have some Unlimited tournaments. I mean when WotC ruled the game whoever played Unlimited? I sure didn't nor did I ever hear of any in my area. I haven't played Unlimited personally since BEFORE modified came on the scene! So I think to solve this problem, Nintendo needs to get a fair and widely accessible Unlimited format going (once they get modified going of course!) because if Nintendo doesn't sponsor OP for this, who is going to play Unlimited?

In tournaments? Nobody. In casual play? Only the older players. Many of the old cards are too good to just fade away into the binders of collectors. I was lucky enough to live close to a card shop that did an Unlimited tournament, but they lost their DCI sanction and the tournament is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back