Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Prize Picking Ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallade

Imagine, you know your prizes, mostly energy, but your luxray lvx is prized, and you need it to win the game. Is it unethical to pick the card that is bent the most because you know it is holographic?

Discuss.

That is not randomization. You shouldn't be able to tell one card from another, and if you can, I'm pretty sure your deck would be considered marked.

Imagine, you know your prizes, mostly energy, but your luxray lvx is prized, and you need it to win the game. Is it unethical to pick the card that is bent the most because you know it is holographic?

Discuss.

This should not happen. If you have a marked card situation, I recommend using sleeves.

At a tournament, this WOULD NOT happen, as deck checks prevent marked cards.

I think he is saying that, given the idea that basic energy are normally non-holo, and if you KNEW your 4 prizes, 3 of which were basic psychic energy, and one of which was an Uxie lv X. 3 of the cards appear flatter, while one has the slight, unavoidable bend of a holo.

If you use this knowledge to your benefit, there are a number of ethical problems that might arise:

You are not supposed to know this, or have this kind of insider information/knowledge. Knowingly using a tool to aid you in a game when you are not supposed to have such a tool is tantamount to cheating. You're not supposed to be able to know this fact, so even if you do by chance or by accident (hey, foils bend! remember certain RHs from back in the day with a ridiculous bend to them?), you're still not supposed to use this information. Using the information is definitely unethical.

We could compare this to something like catching a sneak peek of one of the burn cards during a game of Texas Hold'Em. Although the information of the burn card is very small information, that may not even be of value, it is still extra information you are not intended to have. I know if someone sees a burn card in Poker, it has to be exposed to EVERYONE. Everyone has to have the same knowledge, because if you have certain knowledge you're not supposed to while others do not, you definitely have an unfair advantage. Knowingly exploiting an unfair advantage is unsportsmanlike to say the least, but can definitely carry heavy consequences if noticed or proved to an authority figure.

It's pretty clear-cut: even when we don't assume marked cards (like the others have pointed out), it's still unethical, even by chance/accident/properties of the cards.

Mods would be better served closing this thread.

It is just going to cause all kinds of controversy and will not end well.

For what it's worth though, it's not only unethical, but cheating.

ok, i just needed an answer, i would not mind a lot if it got closed, but i thought it might get good discussion, wishful thinking.

Personally, I always pull my prizes in order, so if by some odd chance this happened to me, it wouldn't affect the order I pulled them.

My advice is to stick the card in a heavy book for a few hours. That'll flatten it out.

I hate that so much. ALL of my holo and reverse holo cards have a bend to them. I'm just waiting to get called out because my holographic cards are bent.

I agree with Ryan. It's unethical because you're using knowledge that you're not supposed to have to your advantage. I certainly wouldn't call anyone out on it, though, seeing as every holo/reverse holo card I have ever encountered is bent to some degree.

lol i'd say this is only a problem for like 20% (random number) of decks cause azelf is a pretty popular staple.

because i like playing with the super holo nrg from PK and HP, it gets to be annoying, my little conciseness starts kicking my head and i get a headache...

Personally, I always pull my prizes in order, so if by some odd chance this happened to me, it wouldn't affect the order I pulled them.

My advice is to stick the card in a heavy book for a few hours. That'll flatten it out.

Come play in 70% humidity minimum. When it's 95% humidity outside, and it rains every other day, and it's 95 degrees outside, your cards are bending almost as soon as you break them out. If you sweat at all, or any other moisture collects- they will bend.

This problem was bad in the past especially. Before DP, some sets had such a distinctive, hard bend. Deoxys RHs had a really sharp curve to them, that was virtually unavoidable. If you played that card in your deck, it was going to be curved. Even somewhat. Compared to basic energy, there may be a slightly noticeable curve.

A good way to avoid this is just pick the cards in the same order consistently through your games. I think most people do this already. I usually start in the bottom right corner, then go bottom left, then middle right and so forth. That top left card is never picked.

ROFL.. Ryan is so right regarding the Deoxys set. I have some foil Strength Charms from that set and they had such a perma-curl they were unplayable (nearly un-sleevable :lol::rolleyes:) They have been pressed in a full storage box for well over a year and that curl still pops back after any handling.

So if the prize card was something like that. Yeah that is bad. If those deoxys cards serve as a benchmark, I can say I haven't experienced anything close to that DP-on.

If someone were to intentionally induce an exaggerated curl I would hope a deck check would notice it. But then again, since many deckchecks are only held at topcut, someone could run offending-bend cards during swiss and then replace them before a check. While I would hope that wouldn't happen, it does strengthen the case for at least some random deck checks during swiss (if they can't be done at onset).

Come play in 70% humidity minimum. When it's 95% humidity outside, and it rains every other day, and it's 95 degrees outside, your cards are bending almost as soon as you break them out. If you sweat at all, or any other moisture collects- they will bend.

Ah, I wouldn't know. I live in a desert area. XD

.THis won't be a problem much to me since..I'm using the Matrix energy (EM)..

So if the card kinda bend.. I still have a risk picking a usefull pokemon or just the energy

Yeah in Florida it's impossible to keep Pokemon foils flat. Straight up impossible.

Even if you're using all foil energy, etc., different types of foils will bend different amounts, and it's still really difficult in general to make a 100% foil deck - and there have been cards in many formats that only came non-foil (POP Celebi ex - the foil promo wasn't released till after Worlds) so building a deck only one way or only the other way isn't always the solution either.

I've met a few players that rolled dice to determine which card to pick up, this might be a viable solution to the conundrum.

Discuss.

In this scenario, if you were my opponent, I wouldn't care a whole lot. You said you KNOW your prizes? As in you used Time-Walk or something to see them... so obviously you already knew its in there. Even if you forgot, I wouldn't call you for it.

Now say you know your prizes just based on the inventory of your deck, that's a different story. I draw my prizes mostly in order, like most players, unless I used Time-Walk or I'm playing Gardevoir & Gallade or something like that. When I'm under pressure though, and I know somethings prized that I need next turn but I haven't SEEN my prizes through a game effect, I DO pick something out of order because I'm afraid I'll jinx myself by drawing the next available one. That's me though, haha.

This is a somewhat unavoidable situation in certain areas. If you KNOW what your prize is without looking at them, and either draw prizes out of order all the time or you do stuff like I do when under pressure... I dunno. I mean, it's kinda hard to say "don't cheat" when you know what card it is. Sorta like if you drew an extra card on accident (Let's say in a fun game or something)... you may play your turn differently depending on that next card. You can be like... "don't cheat," and play it like you WOULD have, but it doesn't sit well that you're tossing the game. And you'll be left with "what ifs" and such. Tough call =/

This is why it's annoying to have reverse holos and these new league holos. I've seen players play their entire deck un-holo EXCEPT for their Claydol line, Azelf, and Uxie for this very reason you bring up.

What I would do: With Azelf unavailable, it personally wouldn't sit well with my conscience that I won a game like that, so I would draw the next available prize regardless. If a Judge or my opponent hasn't said anything to me, I wouldn't feel bad beyond that. I do deck checks when available just in case something is out of order, I don't want my opponent to be uncomfortable about how my deck looks even if I don't notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back