Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Procircuitscrub's DONKALICIOUS Nats top 16 report.

procircuitscrub

Alright....so some friends and I show up friday morning at around 10 in the morning to get into the friday modified tournament. I decided to go with Lux/Ape and I start out going 2-2 drop. This didn't seem like a good sign for sat. It get's to be around 4pm and registration starts. The line was sooooooo long...I thought I was going to have to wait foreeeeeever. But...a guy came around asking for all of the States and regional winners to follow him...and we go to go into our own separate line. While I was in line...I got to talking to the reporter for Go-Pokemon.com and he decides he wants to do an interview with me, which was pretty sweet. After the interview my buddy james and I sit down and iron out our luxray lists for nats and then head back to our hotels. Sat comes along and I begin having one of the best weekends of my life. Sorry if that I really don't remember any names here.

Round 1 V.S. Magmortar/random stuff.

This guy was new to the game so I kind of felt bad...I get a great setup and steamroll him. He never takes a prize.

1-0

Round 2 V.S. Uxie Vomit

This girl was awesome....she was a lot of fun to play, nice, pretty cute....were I not taken...I would have asked her out...lol. But back to the game. She wins the roll played a bunch of uxie and unown R and passes. I start luxray, call, and Roseannes. do my thing and pass. She then freaks me out....she draws the whole deck by re-using her unown R and uxies, and i'm all like (O_O) I'm expecting some crazy win condition....but it's just uxie with pluspowers. She ko's a few pokemon and I quickly outspeed her.

2-0

Round 3 V.S. Gengar/Gallade4

I feel bad here as well because I donked this guy at st. louis regionals a little while back and he draws horrible against me. Granted...i'm holding 3 Power Spray half the game to stop him from setting up if he ever did draw into anything. I just luxray gust up his gastley and ko them.

3-0

Round 4 V.S. DPL

I start Luxray/Call and just get set up faster. I gust up his palkia with energy on it and he has no spray. I ko and take the win from there.

4-0

Round 5 V.S. Kingdra/Flygon

I start the game spraying his setup and doing damage to kingdras, but I couldn't get into my lake boundries to 1 shot his kindras. He sets up a Vibrava and I claydol for 6 cards to get the lux X. Could have hit bebe, Luxury ball, Cyrus, or Sp Radar....but no...I hit 3 Roseanne's, 2 energy, and a poketurn. He sets up his flygon and steam rolls me because I can't draw into a Sunnyshore in order to kill the flygon. Bad beats...he was a good player as well...sooooooo......

4-1

Round 6 V.S. Eveelutions

I start amazing, he starts without any sort of draw other than uxie which I power spray. I ko his charged up pokemon before they can attack. I win by 6 prizes.

5-1

Round 7 V.S. DPL

We both start terrible...no supporters for me and he fills his bench up with mesprits early on. I'm sitting there passing for about 10 turns clinging to life by poke turning my luxray before it dies. He's swinging with dialga for about 30 per turn. Then after about 3 more turns of draw and pass...he finally draws a Cyrus and cleans house. It was amazing how dead power spray/ poketurn/ energy/Roseannes can be if drawn in the wrong combination.

5-2

Round 8 V.S. Gengar

This is a local player from Louisville who I have played against a bunch. He doesn't play a psychic energy all game long and I run him over. Sorry John....I hate that I had to be the one to knock you out of top cut.

6-2 ( TOP 128 ) WHOOOOO!

Round 9 V.S. Speedrill

I power spray his stuff early, kill his claydol, and then focus on the flutter wings beedrill. I win by 2 Prizes just as time is called.

7-2 ( Top 64 )

Round 10 V.S. PLOX

I thought this was going to be an auto loss for me. But I was able to stop his setup with power spray and I killed his charged up kirlias before they became gardy and that was pretty much the game. We go to game 2 and he starts with unown G and nothing else. I donk him. He was kinda rude....so I didn't feel bad at all.

8-2 ( DAY 2 Top 32 )

4 KY Players make it into day 2 and I am stoked. I am playing against another Speedrill with a luxray tech. So I get my game plan together and take my seat.

Round 11 V.S. Speedrill/Luxray

He starts with 2 claydol and I decide to spray the flutter wings and luxray powers instead. I get ahead by killing weedles and kakuna before they become beedrills. He starts freaking out saying that i'm playing slow....but i'm making like 10 plays a turn. The judge finds no problem with my play speed and we continue. I win after he uses cynthias and fails to draw a night maintenance. Game 2 he draws like crap and I run him over. I win 2-0 ( before time was called ^_^ ) This guy was also really rude.

9-2

Now i'm playing against my mirror match .

Round 12 V.S. Luxray GL

Game 1 : I start with lux X and 3 energy gain prized. I get destroyed in a bad way
Game 2 : I get a great start with everything that I could ask for and win by 4 prizes.
Game 3 : I start with Crobat G, he makes me go 1st. I play an energy and pass. He starts luxray, pluspower, energy gain, energy for the donk with bite for 80. There went the worlds invite, and scholorship money. But I had a ton of fun.

9-3

Props:

Making day 2 with a deck james and I built in under 30 mins.
Getting on the front page of Go-Pokemon.com
Having one of the best times of my life.

Slops:

Getting Donked in top 16
my top 64 and top 32 opponents being really rude and unfriendly.
Missing out on my ratings invite because of my 1st round opponent being a brand new player and me getting no points from him.

and for anyone who wants to see the interview here it is. http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/news/articles/58.html

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy report. ^_^ so long.

Last edited:
i'm not going to grinder in....so unless there are some more changes to my rating....probably not. Do I know you from nats rerisenphoenix?

I'd like to address this right now.

I was your T32 opponent. And yes, I was a little rude. However, I love how you only tell half of the story. On multiple occasions before and during the game you are so kind to tell me how beedrill is like an autowin vs you and you are pretty much auto t16. After about 5 minutes of listening to this I was fed up.

As far as me "freaking out" saying you're playing slow, once again you (once again, I should know what i'm getting with you by now) only told half the story. Mike Mattingly (the judge on our game) told you to speed up and make a move 5-6 times during our games. 3+ minute turns are inexcusable in this game.

And MK Choy was your rd 10 opponent. I guarantee he wasn't rude, he's one of the nicest players i've ever met during this game.

Congrats on your good finish, and if you'd like nicer opponent I suggest you practice what you preach.

I'd love a rematch at worlds... Oh wait, I see you finished 46th, good luck in the grinder

Hey, I was wondering how you did at Nats.

Shame you got donked, but congrats on making Top 16. Good job mate.

Hope you can make it to Worlds somehow.

I have no idea where you were getting that from....I just told you how I knew what you were playing. I was in no way rude to you and you saw fit to act in the matter you did. I hope you have fun at worlds.....but acting like that will do nothing but give everyone involved a bad taste in their mouth.

I have no idea where you were getting that from....I just told you how I knew what you were playing. I was in no way rude to you and you saw fit to act in the matter you did. I hope you have fun at worlds.....but acting like that will do nothing but give everyone involved a bad taste in their mouth.

You're 100% right. I was just uncharacteristically rude for no reason. My fault. :lol:

Before you consider asking Miranda out you had best ask permission from Eric and Orion.

Then you have to go through her Mom.

Good luck.

I'd like to address this right now.

I was your T32 opponent. And yes, I was a little rude. However, I love how you only tell half of the story. On multiple occasions before and during the game you are so kind to tell me how beedrill is like an autowin vs you and you are pretty much auto t16. After about 5 minutes of listening to this I was fed up.

As far as me "freaking out" saying you're playing slow, once again you (once again, I should know what i'm getting with you by now) only told half the story. Mike Mattingly (the judge on our game) told you to speed up and make a move 5-6 times during our games. 3+ minute turns are inexcusable in this game.

And MK Choy was your rd 10 opponent. I guarantee he wasn't rude, he's one of the nicest players i've ever met during this game.

Congrats on your good finish, and if you'd like nicer opponent I suggest you practice what you preach.

I'd love a rematch at worlds... Oh wait, I see you finished 46th, good luck in the grinder

lol I notice sometimes people begin to get fed up when Steve says stuff like that but I think part of it is that he is trying to boost his own confidence when he says things like my deck will auto-win vs. this or I'm gonna top 4 this. Also Steve your report sucks because you didn't mention me at all :frown:

Before you consider asking Miranda out you had best ask permission from Eric and Orion.

Then you have to go through her Mom.

Good luck.

Hahahaha....I am taken...I was just commenting on how awesome she was. I think I enjoyed that game more than most all day.

and paul....I had no idea that you were even on here...or I would have mentioned you. The thing just turned out to be so long...I thought people might stop reading.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

You're 100% right. I was just uncharacteristically rude for no reason. My fault. :lol:

Look....I'm sorry if what I said about knowing what you were playing came off as rude. And I believe that I mentioned beating the other beedrills during the day...which in retrospect sounds rude. I apoligize. It wasn't meant to be that way though....I was just caught up in the day.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Oh....does anyone know how many people are getting a rating invite to worlds this year? I'm now 39th in North America....@ 1839.59....and that could change again as they work out the ratings. It's gone up 4 times in the past 2 days.

Last edited:
They gave some misinformation in your interview when they quoted you.
I decided that a lot of people would be wary of the new cards that had just come out [ Platinum—Rising Rivals]

Platinum was the newest set, not RR. Just saying. Hah.

They probably just inserted the current newest set there without thinking that you were talking about the newest set out at the time of states.

Back