Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor Cup Format 09?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodTrainer

They are always looking for new formats to try at the professor cup every year, well this year I propose 1 of 2 possible formats.

1) Unlimited. Pure Unlimited. How cool would it be to try this out for once on a "large" scale. The deck combinations would be endless, and definitely worthy of the Professor Cup.

2) Sideboard. Games best of 3, with 10-20 card sideboard. Modified format, but with Sideboard, and just like in MTG in-between each game in a "set" of 3 games, you and your opponent get to "tweak" your deck with your sideboard.

either format would be a BLAST IMHO

Unlimited = NO. Slowking + Ditto = BAD FORMAT.

I don't like sideboards, as it's possible to change your entire deck's strategy with only 5 cards, main attacker down to TecHs. No thank you.

Level restriction and team play could be possible options, but we'll see - it's still a long time until the next Professor Cup will start. I just hope it won't be like this year in Europe - the metagame was just terrible. I played a similar deck like bullados (who won in the US) and went 3-3 because I lost three times against Wormadam. 7 of 8 topcut decks were Wormadam at the end.

I don't like sideboards, as it's possible to change your entire deck's strategy with only 5 cards, main attacker down to TecHs. No thank you.

Just keep sneasel slowking banded like normal. However i highly doubt, with all the new cards, that the same old decks will still be around. You might be surprised

as to sideboard, YES you can change your strat with 5 cards, that's the POINT. but everyone will have sideboard, so just try to predict what everyone else will have.

we could also limit the side board to 1 copy per card.

Level restriction.

I've suggested this before too, I think this would be fun! But I'd rather see unlimited for once for god sakes, it is a recognized format by PUI after all.

I'd like to take the opportunity to errata Slowking to what WotC should have errata'd it to.

Sneasel would not be the problem it used to be.

They are always looking for new formats to try at the professor cup every year, well this year I propose 1 of 2 possible formats.

1) Unlimited. Pure Unlimited. How cool would it be to try this out for once on a "large" scale. The deck combinations would be endless, and definitely worthy of the Professor Cup.

2) Sideboard. Games best of 3, with 10-20 card sideboard. Modified format, but with Sideboard, and just like in MTG in-between each game in a "set" of 3 games, you and your opponent get to "tweak" your deck with your sideboard.

I would rather see Unlimited than Sideboard, however, I think I'd rather see Unlimited. I know a suggestion that I was talking with someone about was you could either choose even numbered cards or odd numbered cards and you could only use cards that were odd or even (your choice but they either had to be all odd or all even). Modified only of course.

Slowking + Ditto would not be even close to as good in that format. It would be who ever goes second wins.

Drew

No unlimited. Please keep in mind that a lot of new (last 3-4 years) professors don't have any older cards at all...

No unlimited. Please keep in mind that a lot of new (last 3-4 years) professors don't have any older cards at all...

Damn, I was all up for saying how cool an unlimited tournament would've been, but yeah it's not fair if you don't actually have the cards. How easy is it to get hold of pre-POP cards these days?

Level restriction would be pretty neat.

Yes it would. I like the sideboard idea too, as well as team-play. Wow, so many good options to choose from...

I agree that Sneasel would be nowhere near as lethal now as it was before. Even with basic :dark: Energy, 60 HP and a double weakness to anything as your main attacker = fail these days.

As for Slowking, somebody needs to gather all of them in one place and burn them all in a fiery inferno.

How about you can only have 15 Trainer/Supporters/Stadiums, and only 3 of any one of them? It's a brilliant idea that has clearly never been tried at any tournament ever. And they could host it on a boat! Fun times for all!*

* please don't hurt me.

[edit] Curse you MK, pointing out that Sneasel is weakness-free. Still though, 60 HP on your main attacker isn't a heck of a lot. [/edit]

Last edited:
Drew, I'm not talking about using them in combination. I'm talking about the headaches that both cause. Slowking, for the players, Ditto, for the Judges.

Prop 15/3 would be interesting, but I'm pretty certain that my Modified deck is already conformed to that particular restriction...

Whatever happened to Prop 15/3? I mean obviously we don't have it, but I took a long hiatus from Pokémon just as people were debating it. Was it popular?

No Unlimited! Unless we are allowed to proxy. Most of us don't have to older cards.

Also, t1/2 Dragonite ex or Vileplume ex will be too common.

In Unlimited, Muk would be more detrimental to the format than anything I could think of. Especially with Ascension Grimer. And Baby Powers/Focus Band/Double Gust? No thanks. Too many broken cards from WotC.

But they wouldn't do Unlimited, because like AJ said, too many people have sold off their old cards and what not.

I'd like to see them experiment with Mutant/Modified to be honest. Or if they went back to some sort of sealed event I'd be all for that as well.

Level restrictions would be a very interesting idea (Petite cup, anyone?). However, POP would need to look over these Pokes, to make sure none of them might be absurdly broken in the format.

Maybe, if cards warranted, they could do what was done at the Tropical Mega Battle: give each competitor about 100-200 cards to mess with, and let them build decks from those cards. A "draft" of sorts.

Unlimited would be a disaster, unless POP has been planning something behind our backs ;). Plus, it'd be moderately difficult to obtain some older stuff.

"Extended" (i.e. HP-on) would be neat, but would encounter the same problem as Unlimited (lack of supplies).

Mutant Modified sounds really neat, but would also need to be reviewed heavily.

OR...We could just return to something already done before. ;/

Slowking isnt the best poke for unlimited. Europe doesnt know any of unlimited world

Drew, I'm not talking about using them in combination. I'm talking about the headaches that both cause. Slowking, for the players, Ditto, for the Judges.

Prop 15/3 would be interesting, but I'm pretty certain that my Modified deck is already conformed to that particular restriction...

I was talking about how they are horrible in unlimited now, together or not it is still bad IMO.

Drew

Last edited:
The un/common format is really good ;)

That or.

2 on 2 or whatever the new name is, Teamplay right? idk.

or.

Half decks, like it was in Japan.

I REALLY liked the 30-card decks. I think just a regular old Modified 30-card deck event would be my favorite idea. No limitations to creativity, and just play how the japanese do. Dice are illegal, play RPS to see who goes first.

I REALLY liked the 30-card decks. I think just a regular old Modified 30-card deck event would be my favorite idea. No limitations to creativity, and just play how the japanese do. Dice are illegal, play RPS to see who goes first.

This sounds like a great idea.

30 card was a great time from what I understand, except that change to 60 2v2 for tops. No dice for damage counters - that means people would have to use either theme deck stuff (shudders) or have Japanese damage counters.

RPS to start, that would be hilarious, they might have to add time to pregame to resole RPS issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back