Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor Cup

Xicious

So nats is quickly approaching along with the much anticipated Professor Cup on Sunday 7/10/11. The format is still listed as Platinum on with 2 card copy limit. Anyone know of any changes to this?

Not sure why Pokemon.com still lists the 2010 Professor Cup format; 2011 Professor Cup format is COMPLETELY different!

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144035 The major points are that this format is HGSS-on, 60-card decks, decks can only contain one type of Pokemon, and that you choose your starter and set it active before shuffling and drawing your opening hand (6 cards).

I guess we won't be seeing much of T-Tar this year

---------- Post added 06/27/2011 at 09:11 PM ----------

Also, does anyone know if dual typed Legends will be permitted under these rules?

Dual type Legends are allowed, and can count as either type. So, for example, Entei and Raikou Legend could be played in either a Fire or an Electric deck.

Just sayin' -- LOVED the Professor Cup. Great folks, great play. I really liked the "I choose you" start and total absence of mulligans. Got "owned" a few times by decks with obvious thought put into them. I will enter this every time I can, it was easily one of the highlights of Nats for me.

Best type? Whew. I don't know if I can answer "best". I was running DonChamp. I was owned by a psychic deck (lost zone is brutal when you run stage 2s). Yanmega was in loads of decks (mixes of magnazone or donphan a lot) and I saw lots of fire. Yanmega kept shooting over my head and taking out the bench. I never played against a single VilePlume which is great - I was dreading that. ReshiPlosion and ReshiBoar everywhere (and once they get set up it is a non-stop hit for 120 every single turn - brutal). I think I saw one dark that went into the PC top cut, but I didn't make it in so I don't know what it was or what made the cut in general. I think that most folks ran pretty much what they ran in Nats (I did too). I was going to watch PC top cut, but I went to watch the final 3 games of regular play with my kids to see what won Nats (not that anyone could actually see - please guys, video is our friend).

Anyway, fire and grass seemed to be everywhere and very effective - Nats and Professor Cup both. I was very pleased to see that fighting won nationals - sort of - as it came down to whose Tyrogue woke up first. It verified my decision to include him and choose him as my starter in PC. Of course I ran Machoke - who knocks out sleeping babies (is it just me or does that just sound wrong? <grin>).

Not sure if I answered your second question or not, and I would love to know the answer to the first one myself.

I wasn't able to make it, but I'm curious what won. Which was the best type there? :)

I'm not sure which one won, but I remember the finals came down to Reshiphlosion vs a Dark Lock deck (Absol/Mandibuzz/Zoroark/Weavile). I can't say which type was best since the field was very varied, all the way up to top cut. In Swiss, I noticed a lot of people chose Fire (obvious choice IMO with Reshiram), Water (counter to the obvious with either Samurott or Blastoise), or Electric (Lanturn, mostly, since it can hit two types).

Still, there were A LOT of different decks at this event. These are the decks I either played against or saw while looking around:
Reshiram (with either Typhlosion or Emboar, but Typhlosion saw MUCH more success)
Samurott/Feraligatr
Blastoise (with either Floatzel or Feraligatr)
Lanturn variants
Yanmega variants (MANY different tech lines that worked)
Donphan (almost always DonChamp)
LostGar/Mew
Muk/Metagross

Going into top cut, there were still many different types of decks. In top 16, I played against Cinccino rush. In top 8, I played against Reshiphlosion. Top 4 was Reshiphlosion vs. Donchamp and Absol/Mandibuzz/Zoroark/Weavile vs. Blastoise/Floatzel (me). Reshiphlosion was the deck that saw the most success. There were at least 4 or 5 in top 16, and at least 3 or 4 left in top 8.

Best type? As I said before, there was A LOT of variety. Most successful? Fire. Perhaps you could say Fire was the best type.

Reshiphlosion won the whole shebang, and it was very well played (leave the drama for the drama thread please); I had predicted Reshiphlosion would be the overall winner, and the kid definitely proved me right. Dark was nowhere near good enough, and I'm surprised it did as well as it did. Personally I would've been playing Fighting.

So, the Donchamps didn't do well? That's what I had set for the staff shadow cup.

Back