Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor test issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo....what's with the professor exam? Is anyone working on fixing it? A lot of the questions seem outdated and there are a lot of grammatical errors that make it really confusing to understand what the questions actually are asking. Just saying....

CMT​

questions seem to be outdated, well thank goodness there isnt an unlimited format that some people play [/sarcasm]

The reason behind the older questions is because the way it is ruled will sometimes be used in current format rulings. As to the grammatical errors, submit those on the op forums.

Oh, gee...unlimited format you say? Please tell me when in the heck that has ever been used in a premier event? Understandable that they have a a few questions here or there but every premier event has been played with modified rulings and current cards in format. So you expect all players, even new ones to know all about old rulings that they might not have even been around for? And if they don't know any of them, then they are out of luck? Don't play that sarcasm game with me bud, I ain't in the mood.

And just so you I am playing devils advocate here. I don't find it very fair that the tests rely a lot on old format setting questions when new professors weren't even exposed to these cards or tournament structures to know how to answer them.

I think the point of those questions is to address your ability to think critically as a judge, and I don't really mind the fact that they are there. I didn't play in many of those formats either, but I could figure out the answer based on my understanding of the rules of the game.

The card text(s) are given so you know what card they are asking about. So while there is no such thing as Special Metal Energy i would like to know if a potential professor can read the card texts and think about the given question.

There is a forum in the TPCi Professor area just for issues with the Professor Exam.

Also, I had the same issue long ago and was told that just because the card has rotated, does not mean the mechanic involved is still not applicable.

Oh, gee...unlimited format you say? Please tell me when in the heck that has ever been used in a premier event? Any official priemere event, there hasnt been any as of now, but that may change especially with the new extended format coming soon. Understandable that they have a a few questions here or there but every premier event has been played with modified rulings and current cards in format. So you expect all players, even new ones to know all about old rulings that they might not have even been around for? And if they don't know any of them, then they are out of luck? If they plan on becoming a professor, yes. Don't play that sarcasm game with me bud, I ain't in the mood. Sorry bout that, I do tend to get a bit sarcastic at times, meant nothing by that.

And just so you I am playing devils advocate here. I don't find it very fair that the tests rely a lot on old format setting questions when new professors weren't even exposed to these cards or tournament structures to know how to answer them. To be fair, both bjj and eeveelover both said it, as well as I did, that current cards will likely use older rulings that have been established. In fact, there are alot of unlimited to standard rulings that exist, just based on precedent. Some of those have been overturned, but that is a small percentage overall.

Replies in bold, and a bit of more info here. The professor exam is a test to know what your rulings are, as well as tournament operation, and Spirit of the Game. As I said earlier in one of my replies, most rulings stem from previous interactions. Example. Uxie (LA) vs Gengar (SF), if I attack using Psychic Restore, can Fainting Spell be used to knock out Uxie, No as all attack effects must be resolved before anything else. Modified version, Accelgor (DEX) vs Sigilyph (PLB) with rock guard and 2 rocky helmets attached, Would Accelgor be knocked out from recoil damage? No as all attack effects must be resolved before anything else. There are many interactions that have had some form in the past. Maybe the next time you take the exam, and if you see that question, copy and paste it into a notepad and then see if you can think of a modified variant of that interaction, and vice versa. And who knows, when a weird ruling comes up in a prerelease, maybe there was a previous interaction that will likely answer the question.

Again apologies for last comment

~Duke

lol, it's cool. I'm all about the tough love here, I just don't find it right at 70-80% of these exams rely on asking questions from older formats when we are trying to helps professors/judges become knowledgable about current game state situations and card rulings or mechanics. 50/50, I have no problem with. I don't have any problem with old format questions being asked at all, love the stroll down memory lane. I just want to see that people who are interested in being a professor and judging tournaments are tested not only on past procedures and rulings but current ones....I mean, you wouldn't want a doctor to be operating you or treating you based on remedies or treatments that were best prescribed in 1985, am I right? I know it ain't as serious but I just feel like this should really be addressed, cuz I know I ain't the only one who thinks so.

I always get the kingdra LA question wrong :(
but it would be nice if they updated it, and with pictures would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back