Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor to Judge?

ColdFire64

Hello there. I couldn't find the answer to this question (unless I'm blind and didn't look in the right spot) so I'm gonna ask here.

My question is, can a NON Professor be allowed to judge a Pre-Release, or any other sanctioned event?

As the number of professors in our state (let alone my city) increases, the more hands we have available for judging.

However there are a few NON Professors that wish to quarrel and compete with my professors and try to get their way in to a judging position at pre releases. I have tried to tell them to just take the professor test and pass it so that there would be no competition or feuds but evidently these certain people are too lazy to do so.

I was under the impression that only professors can judge sanctioned events, such as Pre-Releases, as well as City/State//GymChallenge/National/World championships.

I just don't see how or why my PTO should have to cater to a non professor who wants to judge, when there are already 7 professors in my city that want the same position, let alone the 15 professors in my state. It would only make since for a Professor to judge so that they can get their points towards the prize shop and also start working on earning their lab coats.

I already have my lab coat and enough points in the shop to keep me happy for awhile so I'm just expressing my concern for the other professors out there, especially the 6 new professors that have just joined up who are more than eager to get some judging time in.

I can see like the "old" days when we only had 3 professors in our city and needed more hands to judge that we would have Non-Professors judge but we have more professors now and I just think that if people want to participate in events they should take the test and become a professor.

However I strongly feel that if one took the time to study and pass the test then they have every right to a judge position over someone that doesn't have a professor status.

Any comments and official answers would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
If they're "too lazy" to take the test, they're probably too lazy to keep up on the rulings.
Sure, the can be allowed to judge, but if more qualified people are available, why choose them?
Makes no sense.

GymLeaderPhil said:
This has already been answered elsewhere.
Oh, my bad dude. This forum is so huge and just looking through all the pages for something small like this takes up a lot of time so I figured I'd take my chances and assume it has never been asked before and ask it anyway. :rolleyes:

GymLeaderPhil said:
PTO/TO also doesn't have to give anyone a position on their staff.
I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that I don't think it's fair for non professors to expect my PTO to cater to them and get them a judge position, when, in reality, there is no point in having a non professor judge, especially since they won't earn any kind of points!

It just makes much more sense for a professor to judge so that they can get their points accumulated in the prize shop. Plus, professors have more knowledge than over 90% of non professors, especially professors who have more judging experience and actually keep up with the current rulings, unlike a non professor.

I'm just expressing my opinion and trying to find out what everyone else thinks. I'm semi new to these forums so please forgive me in advance if I ask anything that has been asked/answered already.

Last edited:
PokePop said:
If they're "too lazy" to take the test, they're probably too lazy to keep up on the rulings.
Sure, the can be allowed to judge, but if more qualified people are available, why choose them?
Makes no sense.
That's exactly how I feel. My PTO just likes to give everyone a fair chance at judging, and he feels bad if one non professor is unhappy just because he/she can't get a judge position at a pre release. The thing is we have grown quite a few new professors in our state (6 I think) and are now up to 15 professors in our state. If we only schedule 1 or 2 pre releases (maybe 3) it is still hard enough to give ALL 15 of my professors a shot at judging, unless the events have a larger attendance.....

By the way, it's ALWAYS when there is a pre release coming up that non professors want to judge just so they can get a free box. Whenever we needed help for City Tournaments, no non-professors bothered to step up to the plate to help. This is why I'm concerned.

I just wish they would put a rule down that only requires professors to judge events. If non professors insist on judging events especially a pre release, they shouldn't be entitled to get a booster box, the same concept that they won't get professor points in a prize shop just cuz they aren't professors. Same thing really.

Last edited:
ColdFire64 said:
Oh, my bad your highness. This forum is so huge and just looking through all the pages for something small like this takes up a lot of time so I figured I'd take my chances and assume it has never been asked before and ask it anyway. :rolleyes:
No, that was my polite way in saying that you created the same exact topic on the Pokemon Organized Play Forums and you received the same exact answer that I just gave you there too.

ColdFire64 said:
I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that I don't think it's fair for non professors to expect my PTO to cater to them and get them a judge position, when, in reality, there is no point in having a non professor judge.

It just makes much more sense for a professor to judge so that they can get their points accumulated in the prize shop. Plus, professors have more knowledge than over 90% of non professors, especially professors who have more judging experience.

I'm just expressing my opinion and trying to find out what everyone else thinks. I'm semi new to these forums so please forgive me in advance if I ask anything that has been asked/answered already.
Whether or not you think it is fair or not, there are plenty of non-Professors out there who can easily do a much better job at a tournament than an actual Professor because many signed up for the program for all the wrong reasons.

Being a Professor unfortunatly does not equal experience. A multiple choice test is not a true representation of one's value as a staff member of a tournament.

GymLeaderPhil said:
No, that was my polite way in saying that you created the same exact topic on the Pokemon Organized Play Forums and you received the same exact answer that I just gave you there too.
Well that's cool, but I wanted to ask here too because there are more professors/people that check these forums rather than the OP forums for some reason, so I'm just trying to get everyone's input.

GymLeaderPhil]Whether or not you think it is fair or not, there are plenty of non-Professors out there who can easily do a much better job at a tournament than an actual Professor because many signed up for the program for all the wrong reasons.
What reasons would these wrong reasons be? In my state, we all took the test because we wanted the opportunity to provide as many answers and rulings as possible. It's not like we all just sign up for the prize support. Sure the prize support is great, but with me being recognized as someone who knows a lot about the game and provides accurate rulings every time which makes a lot of people look up to me is a great feeling. I'm not exactly sure what reasons other professors have that joined up, but I'm telling you that is where I'm mainly coming from, especially when it comes down to me helping people and make the game more fun and enjoyable for everyone.

GymLeaderPhil said:
Being a Professor unfortunatly does not equal experience. A multiple choice test is not a true representation of one's value as a staff member of a tournament.
It can equal experience if you have been judging every main event for the past year, such as myself. A few other professors in my city/state have been professors longer than I have and they know much more than I do and have more floor experience.

What do you think is a true representation of one's value as a staff member, let alone a professor?

I'm just saying, we got 6 new professors in our state, and I'd like to see them get some judging positions in during the next tournament season, rather than letting someone else, especially without professor status, judge a premier event.

As the number of our professors continue to grow, my PTO is having us judge mainly off of experience, knowledge, and work ethic (do we actually walk the judge floor or just sit around opening up booster packs all day?).

During the next tournament season, my PTO WILL be limiting judging slots only to professors. This is also another way of motivating the non-professors to become professors. I also think this is a great way for new professors to get their feet wet and climb up the ladder.

That is our way of handling it for the future, but I'm just wanting other people's input as well as some input from POP to, just so that we can have something official to go by.

If these non-prof.'s are wanting to judge prereleases mainly, and seemingly only for the box, then why let them judge at all? It doesn't seem like they have the right idea in mind about what being a prof is really about, so make them have to become a prof to see what it's really like. Prize support is great and all, but we're really here to help the game grow, and help newer and inexperienced players do better (in my opinion anyway), not just do a little work and get paid for it.

Dark Legendary Master said:
If these non-prof.'s are wanting to judge prereleases mainly, and seemingly only for the box, then why let them judge at all?
Well he hasn't let any NON professor judge yet. Plus they just want to judge for the wrong reasons, a BOX. It's just that there are a few of these certain individuals that claim you don't have to be a professor to judge and that they also express their ignorance by saying they just have to judge. It's this kind of ignorant attitude that is keeping them from the judge slot (thanks to my considerations and discussions I made to my PTO) but my PTO was actually considering letting them judge just out of sympathy but I convinced him not to give in. So far it's working but I was just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same problem we are.

Dark Legendary Master said:
It doesn't seem like they have the right idea in mind about what being a prof is really about, so make them have to become a prof to see what it's really like. Prize support is great and all, but we're really here to help the game grow, and help newer and inexperienced players do better (in my opinion anyway), not just do a little work and get paid for it.
My point exactly. I couldn't have said it better. Being a professor is like a 2nd job for me, because I am doing my part to organize events, run a league, and make the game itself grow, and grown a lot it has. My league jumped from just under 10 players a year ago, and now I'm at 64 registered players, including the people on my inactive list.

It's mainly advertising and word of mouth that gets around and draws people in. It's just that when certain people who didn't work hard to earn a professor title but still act like they are better than everyone else and acting like they are supposed to judge a pre release just for a free box for their own fulfillment just sickens me. :nonono:

CF,

Thanks for bringing this into the Gym for input.

As one of those new Professors, my wife is one as well, I must agree with all the points that have been raised.

First: It has been very stressful to myself, CF and all the other Profs between our 2 Leagues to hear non Profs say " I wanna Judge at UF Pre, so I can get a box of free cards." I don't think they understand how much prep time goes into Tourneys of any kind. I first Judged at a Gym Challange, and I sure didn't - I was wore out, like all the other Judges at the end of the day. The box and other support is PUI/POP's thanks for the Profs time, not just a bribe for the time. Most, if not all Profs, in our area would probably do this even without the support that we get.

Second: Having the Prof logo does not give you knowledge. I've been playing at leagues since FRLG came out, there are alot of cards I have not seen / do not know how to play, yet someone that has played since day 1 of Pokemon has alot more knowledge of the cards and play of them. That is why we "New" Profs lean on the knowledge of you"Old" Profs so much. I keep the most current copy of the Compendium handy at tourneys I'm at for my or another judges use, just to have the correct rulings.

Third: It is the PTO's choice of who judges at their event - it is their event after all. But to choose a person who couldn't care about judging, and just wants the box is wrong. My kids got most of the cards from my box - I kept about 30 of them.

Off the box now.

We appriciate the responses.

OK, now for my 2 cents.

For a non-professor to judge for me, there has to be something more to the situation.

I have had certain people judging with me long before the professor program was started. Those people have always had my back, and done a good job. Just because they are not professors does not mean I am going to cut them loose or cut them out. Many of them are now professors, and that makes my argument much easier, but for those that are not...we are working on getting them closer.

Second. As the number of new players increases, and my number of judge slots in demand increases, the compensation for serving as a judge goes down. Due to many factors, we have had it for a few preReleases now that the judges do not get a full box, but a half box (exceptions to the rule for HJs)...and if there are not professors who have made themselves available...more stuff will come.

Heck, due to work schedules, and people wanting to play, I gave BigpoppaBeatdown 2 boxes for judging the St. Louis area gym challenge with me. It was just him and me...and man, it shows how good I have it when I have Scotty at my side. SMOOTH AS GLASS! He earned his 2 boxes, definitely.

Who is going to be #1 on my judging list for the next year...hmmm...you think it could be Scott? Yep...

Psyduck, Bigpoppa and MegaMurkrow drive all the way down to Memphis to make sure that event goes off without a hitch as my HJs....Second straight Regional/Stadium they have judged rather than played...hmmmm...any wonder why they are my top 3 people...always have had my back, even when they have privately disagreed with me....consistant and professional...impressed even POP with their competency, energy and professionalism...

I have several other judges who are just below them...so I truly understand anyone who goes...oh, man, now I am a professor, but it seems that the judge slots are taken...

I will try to work all of my people in...but they all are working against those who have worked with me for years, and years, and I know I can count on like the sun rising in the east (it still does, right?)

Just my way too long opinion.

Vince

Who says they "have" to get a box for judging a PR anyway?? If they truly want to judge for tre right reasons, the compensation comes from the players' appreciation and knowing that you have done a good job! Dont get me wrong, the comp. is nice, but I know quite a few judges who would judge w/o any compensation. (Of course, you can split the comp down to 1/2 to 1/3 box each and use that....not much difference than playing in the event and getting the 10 packs that way. See what response you get then.)

JMHO Keith

The Non Profs in question have never judged, or wanted to, up till now. They appaerently see the Comp from PUI and want in on the action. As CF said before, no one wants to Judge the Premire events where there is a trip to nationals / worlds in our area, they couldn't find enough for our CC and SC, but a Pre, everyone comes our out the wood work to Judge.

Pfft.
That's like a guy buying a suit in a store and seeing how much commission the sales man made on the sale.
Then he goes up to the store owner and says "Hey, I want some of that commission. I've never sold a thing in my life and don't know what things go together, but let me sell that guy over there carrying a pile of clothes a suit."

What do you think any business owner in his right mind is going to say to that?

Yeah another thing I was made aware of today was that POP is going to cut the professor program off to those under the age of 18. Since ALL these non professors I've been talking about are under 18, they won't be able to join up anyways, which is good because they want to join for all the wrong reasons. Hopefully this will make people grow up around here and make these kids think of what being a professor is really about.

As for those who have GREAT professors under the age of 18, I envy you. I wish I can say that our 17 and under professors joined for the right reasons, but lately even the youngest of our professors just want to judge for the box and dont even care about helping out in a big tournament like city, state, etc. That is just too unfortunate. What on earth is this world coming to?

Last edited:
ColdFire64 said:
Yeah another thing I was made aware of today was that POP is going to cut the professor program off to those under the age of 18.
Where did this come from? Link please?

'mom

I REALLY hope this isn't true.

As a 16-year-old Professor, I've begun to love Judging more than playing, and I take every opportunity to judge at all local tournaments.

I'd be more than disappointed if all Professors under 18 are unable to do what they love just because of a few bad eggs.

o-0...
this...would absolutely SUCK.
first, i am a people person, and i love the pokemon tcg. i am 17 for crying out loud (i turn 18 in may). i devoted SO MUCH TIME and effort into me being a professor. i am the only person that the kids at league depend on, because i am pretty much the only person there who is in my age group (for one of my leagues anyway). i'm hoping that this isn't true. i mean...this is what i do for volunteer service too! but thats not as important as the fact that i really do love teaching people the tcg and helping out.
and i was looking forward to judge tournaments in the future aswell... :frown:

It has been a topic of conversation, but no final decision has been made on this.

hey chris.

Professors get 1st shot at judging in CO Springs. I thought Ron did the same up north. So, I can't see why this is an issue for you. I know Eric let his Professorship expire, so when he asked me to help judge our Gym, I put him on the bottom of the list. When no other Professors wanted to help, I let him staff.

ALSO, being a professor doesn't garrantee you first shot at our pre-release tournaments. Just ask Adrian. Besides me, he's our oldest Professor (been a Prof the longest). But, it's been tough for him to come from Pueblo, so Profs like Ryan and Paul who come more often to help at league and tournaments get first shot at Dwayne's pre-releases.

Finally, every once in a while, some Professors need to step aside and let others get judge points and staff support. Too often, some professors monopolize coveted staff positions. At the upcoming pre-release in CO Springs, I'm stepping aside. Dwayne has picked Ryan to be the HJ and pick his staff. I'll miss getting those free boosters, but I'm hoping to make up by winning Worlds. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back