Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Project CR: Card Revolution

Hi PokéGym! This is my first fanfiction and I hope it’s enjoyable for you to read. Just a note, *[Insert number here] means that there’s a footnote at the bottom of the page. Feel free to scroll down to the bottom of the page to read the footnote, use ctrl+F, to jump to the precise note, or just skip over them altogether.

Prologue
Rising Rivals: Clash of the Pros

“You’re better than I expected.”
“And what’s that supposed to mean?”
“You know what it means. Just make your move already.”

“Alright, I draw!” With a smirk, Tia drew. This was going to be good. “I’ll start off by playing my Item, Vitamins*1. That allows me to attach a basic Energy card from my deck to one of my benched Basic Pokémon, and I choose Mime Jr.” With a flourish, she flicked the Energy card toward her Bench, where it attached to Mime Jr. easily. “Articuno looks tired, I’m going to retreat it for Mime Jr. Next, I’ll go with Seeker. That forces both of us to pick up one of our Benched Pokémon and put it into our hand. I think I’ll choose Articuno. What’s your choice?”

With a gulp, Aaron returned his benched Mewtwo to his hand. This was not going to be good. As their TeCh pulled back Mewtwo and Articuno, their respective holograms*2 on the field vanished.

“Using Mime Jr.’s Grow Up ability, I’m able to evolve it to Mr. Mime. I’ll attach an Energy card to him and use his ability, Juggling, which moves my TM 13 Ice Beam to Mr. Mime, who now uses Fling. By discarding that TM, I get to up the power of Fling to 40 and treat Mr. Mime as a water type. Thanks to weakness, that 40 damage becomes 80, enough to knock out your last Pokémon. That’s game!” And with that, the field cleared of holograms signaling the crowd to cheer. Or boo. Depends on whom they were rooting for.

Within an hour, the field changed completely. Sort of. A stadium is a very different place without a crowd, without a show. People are like them in that regard.
“That was a good match. Congratulations on the win,” said Aaron, voice free of all conceit from before. “How much were you paid for that performance?”
“The usual stuff. Food, board, a little cash for souvenirs. Want a rematch just for fun?” Aaron’s deck was already out.
“Any time, any time at all.”

Chapter 1
Base Set: Journey’s Start

What went wrong? He studied, dreamed, built the best deck he could with the cards he had. Well, actually just two of them, but two out of three isn’t that bad is it? And who’s to say what the best deck you could make? Maybe that 1-1-1 line of Kingdra Prime wasn’t such a good idea to stick in, but come on! It was a Prime! Super rare! And it wasn’t his fault he didn’t have many Horsea or Seadra. He studied though, staying on the computer for hours on end. He learned about the new TeCh out there and of course, he knew what a TeCh was. An, as the commercials said, “armband that allows for a greater depth to battles by adding holograms and materializing the battle right in front of your eyes, while adding a line of energy that allows you to easily manipulate your cards from a distance!”*3 Although not all of that was studying... but who wouldn’t expect him to check in on some of his favorite websi-

“Hey! Wake up and play already, Neil!” Wha? Oh, heh, back to reality*4. Where was he? Oh, yeah Pokémon Reversal.
“I play Pokémon Reversal! That allows to flip a coin and if heads,”
“I know what it does, we already handled that in class remember?” said his opponent and classmate, Allie. Oh. He didn’t remember they covered that. Anyway, time to get on with the game. Confidently, Neil flipped a coin. This just had to work.

Tails. Crap.

Okay. That’s survivable. After all, Neil did have a Junk Arm, right?
“I’ll discard two cards from my hand to activate Junk Arm! And that means Reversal is making a return appearance,” said Neil, while activating his TeCh. This couldn’t be that hard, could it? Just point at the discard pile and let the TeCh do the rest.

“Why are you drawing a card?” Whoops. Let’s try that again. After another try or two, Neil finally grabbed his Reversal, and played it. Flip. Heads! Yes! Now to finally bring up that benched Emboar!
“I’ll pull up Emboar and use my Golduck's Powerful Splash for 70 times 2 damage, meaning Emboar is going down!”
“What?” expressed his opponent in confusion. “Emboar has 150 HP.”
“I forgot to Spray Splash, right?” Allie just nodded and started her turn.

“I’m going to use my supporter, Fisherman. That allows me the opportunity to grab four fire energy cards from my discard, all of which I attach to Emboar, using Emboar’s ability, so don’t say I can’t do that. Then I’ll use PlusPower and use Heat Crash for 90 damage, a KO, and game.”

Sigh. Maybe next time. Neil grabbed his deck and prepared to head home. Time to study.

Footnotes:
*1 This fanfiction piece contains multiple created cards from the set VG: Hazard Leaders, started by Thunder and worked on by the previously mentioned user and myself. To see their text, click here and look through the thread. Only in the prologue though. The rest will have real cards in HGSS-on.
*2 I’ve been watching too much Yu-Gi-Oh. I’ll explain more later.
*3 This is some of that explanation that I said I would give in the line above.
*4 The story’s “reality”. Not real life reality.

More to come later.

Critique and comments are welcome, though if you are going to criticize, please make it the sort that is actually helpful, like "You could use some more description add so-and-so, and that will make it better."
instead of "OMG! This fanfic stinks etc." so that I can improve and be a better author.

Oh, and does anyone know how to easily indent on this?

Last edited:
My criticism is why Isn't there another chapter yet?:confused:
I want more please.:thumb:
Posted with Mobile style...

I didn't know people actually wanted to read this stuff, seeing as you are the only comment in a little under 2 weeks. I was going to let this fade away if no one commented. I guess I'll start writing again.

It's not a problem, here's the next chapter.

Chapter 2
Gym Challenge: Practice, Practice, Practice

PROGRAM START
LOADING CARDBASE
LOADING OPPONENT AI
LOADING DECK
LOADING COMPLETE
INITIALIZING MENU​

Alright, time to practice.

SELECT A MODE​

Let’s see, let’s see. Using his own deck seemed like a bad idea right now, so that was out. The puzzles always confused him, who could solve those things? Well, it’s as good time as any to play with one of those pre-constructed decks.

Opening up the deck and opponent selection menu, Neil chose what he normally chose. The random button.

Deck selected: :lightning: Shockingly Cute

Oh. This could be bad. Or good. Yeah, he could be going up against some sort of water deck or something. Hopefully.

Opponent’s Deck selected: :fighting: Grand Quake​

Cancel, cancel, cancel! Argh! Oh well. No turning back now.

GAME START​

And here comes the virtual reality. The computer generated his opponent, just a standard guy with no defining features. They spent all that load time for this?

Neil drew. Only one basic? Not a good sign. He set his card down and the computer did the same, placing one card on the bench.
“Heads or tails?” Well, at least that was better than hearing

this voice​
for the whole game.
“Heads.”
The coin flipped and landed. Heads. Yes! The cards flipped to reveal Neil’s Pokémon, Tyrogue, as well as his opponent’s Cleffa and benched Phanpy.
“I’ll play Seeker, forcing you to pick up Phanpy, and I’ll Mischievous Punch for game.”

Congratulations, you’ve won and have earned one pack credit. Play again?​
Well, that was easy. It wasn’t really practice, was it? The choice was obvious.

Good time to plan. No random button this time. Only a pair of decks with no type advantages or disadvantages.

GAME START​
Wait, what?*5
Cancel, cancel, cancel!

Neil drew. Well, this was better than last time, at least. Three basics, a Pikachu and 2 Mareep, to his opponent’s one? Easy.

“Heads or tails?”
“Tails.”
With a clink, the coin landed, with a clearly visible “heads”.
No big deal, it’s practically impossible for them to win on the first turn now.

And with that, the computer drew.
“I will use Pokémon Collector, to add to my hand Phanpy, Onix, and Phanpy. I will then place on my Bench Phanpy and Onix. I will then attach a :fighting: energy card to my active Phanpy and end my turn.”

What to do, what to do… got it!
“It’s my turn, I draw. First off, I’ll attach a :lightning: Energy to my active Mareep. Next, I’ll play Cheerleader’s Cheer*6 so I can draw 3 cards. You can draw a card, too. Then, I attack with Static Electricity and attach 2 :lightning: energy to Mareep.”

“My turn begins. I will play Pokémon Communication, shuffling Phanpy into my deck, and placing Donphan*7 into my hand. I will then evolve Phanpy into Donphan and attach a :fighting energy to it. I will then use Earthquake, Knocking Out Mareep and taking a prize.”
A Prime? On turn 2? Oh well, let’s crush it*8!

“I’ll put up Mareep and draw! I play Pokémon Collector and grab Chinchou, Pachirisu, and Shaymin. I’ll play Chinchou to my Bench and attach a :lightning: energy to it. I attack with, er, never mind. I’ll end my turn.”

“I will attach a :fighting: energy to Onix and attack with Earthquake for a prize.”

Not good, not good… No good option but to bring up Chinchou.

“I play Twins and take from my deck 2 cards, a :lightning: energy and Lanturn*9.”
“You are not supposed to reveal the cards you searched for.”
“I’m not? No difference anyway, since I’m playing Lanturn to evolve Chinchou and putting Pachirisu on to my Bench, attaching 2 energy to it using its power. Then I’ll use Shaymin to move those energy to Lanturn, who I’m treating as a :water: type, thanks to its power, Underwater Dive. I attack! Powerful Spark is enough to knock you out!”

Hah, take that, Donphan Prime!

“I will put up my Phanpy and attach a :fighting: energy to Onix.”

“Ha, this is going to be easy now. I’ll attach a :lightning: energy to Pikachu, activate Underwater Dive, and Powerful Spark for the Knock Out!”

“I will bring up Onix.”
This was going to be so easy, just need to KO that Onix...
“I will then attach a Double Colorless energy card to it.”
But that would be easy with Lanturn Prime’s Powerful Spark…
“Finally, I’ll attack with Boundless Power to Knock Out Lanturn.”

Crap. Didn’t see that coming. Who to send up… Pikachu*10 is the only card on the field that could retreat, so up he goes.

“I’ll bring up Pikachu, attach a :lightning: energy to Pachirisu, and use Energize to attach one of my discarded :lightning: Energy cards to it.

Bye Pika, thanks for stalling.

“I’ll draw a card, and end my turn.”
“What? Why didn’t you attack?”
“Onix can’t attack after using Boundless Power. It has to wait a turn.”
“Oh.”
Now’s the time the strike! There’s a :lightning: energy right here, but Onix has 90 HP, not 80. One last draw… ack. Not Raichu. What options are there… Nothing in the hand except for a Seeker, a Pokémon Communication, a PlusPower, and some energy. Oh. PlusPower. Time to finish this.

“I’ll use PlusPower, attach a :lightning: energy to Pikachu, and Thunderbolt to KO Onix for the win*11.”
So close.

Congratulations, you have earned 2 pack credits. Returning to menu.
INITIALIZING MENU​

*5 Did you really think the only game I had featured today would be a donk?
*6 Anyone else think this card would sound better and less repetitive in Japanese?
*7 Donphan is a Stage 1 :fighting: type Pokémon Prime with 120 Hit Points and a Pokébody that reduces damage done to it by 20.
*8 Or not.
*9 Lanturn is a Stage 1 :lightning: type Pokémon Prime with 110 Hit Points and a Poképower that allows it to be treated as a :water: type when activated.
*10 Pikachu is a basic :lightning: type Pokémon with 60 Hit Points.
*11 I’m getting an odd sense of déjà vu here…

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, I promise I will have something up by Monday.

Edit: Make that Tuesday. I forgot about the down time.

Edit: Writing it now.

Edit: Will post in a few hours, I'm taking a break.

Last edited:
Here's Chapter 3, enjoy!

Chapter 3
Team Rocket: Concepts & Confrontations

“Oh snap, I’m gonna be late!”
And out the door he goes, heading off to class.
Time to train, time to improve, time to rush and try not to be late again.

“I’m here! Don’t mark me absent!”
A quick glance at the clock reveals that it’s time for Neil’s breath to catch up with the rest of him. 8:56. Just in time. A quick glance at the class reveals that it’s time to calm down, sit down, and pretend that never happened. 16 people staring at him. Oops.

“Hey, Allie. Check out what I pulled the other day, an Alph Lithograph.”
“That’s nice, Neil.”
“Just nice? It’s really rare!”
“Yeah, whatever. I’m busy right now, okay?”

“An Alph Lithograph? Those things could get me a few packs if I had one to sell. Looks like I have a new target…

Cue highlight reel!*12

History Class:

*BUMP*
“Pokémon cards have been in existence for hundreds of years, since the end of the 20th century.*13”
“Hey, wake up.”
*BUMP*
“Why exactly they were created is unknown, but there are theories.”
“Hey, wake up.”
*BUMP*
“For example, some people believe they were made as a way to channel and control Pokémon.”
“I said, wake up!”
*CRUNCH*
“Ouch!”
“Are you alright, Neil?”
“Um, yes, Ms. Knowles.”

Math Class:
“Alright class, can anyone calculate the percent chance of drawing into your starter at the beginning of the game if you have four of them in your deck? No one? Fine, just let Mr. Minamimoto*14 show you how to do it.”

Free Battle:

“Hey, how’s about you and I duke it out?”
“Sure, Daniel,” said Neil, as he brought out his deck.
“Let’s make this interesting. I’ll ante one of my cards and you’ll ante one of yours.”
What? An ante game? Those are prohibited… but challenges aren’t to be turned down. What to do, what to do? That’s it, let a coin flip decide. Heads yes, tails no. Simple enough. A flip and away we go. Heads. No looking back now.

“I’ll accept.”
Perfect, you’ve fallen for it.
“You say something?”
“Nothing at all. Let’s start, shall we?”

Decks set, TeChs*15 set, and it’s time to rock.
Another flip of the coin and heads, Daniel goes first.
Yes, an almost perfect hand. Let’s finish this quick.
A quick survey of the field revealed a Magnemite and a Tepig on Daniel’s Bench as well as a Cleffa active against Neil’s 2 Totodile and an Oshawott.
“To get started, I’ll play a :lightning: Energy and attach it to Magnemite, who’ll I’ll retreat to. Then, I’ll use Pokémon Collector to snatch a Pachirisu, a Shaymin, and a Magnemite from my deck to my hand. Your turn Neil.”

“Alright, I’ll draw! First up, I’ll use Cheren to let me draw 3 cards. I think I’ll follow that up with a :water: energy to my active Totodile and use Gnaw for 10 damage!” In a rush, Totodile dashed up to Magnemite and bit down. “I’ll end my turn then.”

Time to sweep.
“I’ll draw a card and use Pokémon Communication to swap my Magnemite in my hand for a Magnezone. I’ll then play Rare Candy and skip stage 1 so Magnemite can evolve to Magnezone. I’ll then play down Pachirisu, and use Self-Generation to attach 2 :lightning: energy to it. And for the last card in my hand, I’ll play Shaymin, moving those energy to Magnezone*16 who will then use it’s PokéPower to let me draw 6 cards! From my hand, I’ll play a PlusPower and I’ll end my turn using Lost Burn, sending one energy card from my field to the Lost Zone to do 60 damage and OHKO Totodile!”
One bolt, massive power.

*12 I could go and describe the entire events of the day but that would be boring.
*13 Yes, it’s the future. Only way I could make some stuff make sense.
*14 Get it? I’m waiting… argh, so zetta slow!*17
*15 TeCh by the way stands for Tethered Card holder. I couldn’t come up with anything better to fit the acronym.
*16 Magnezone is a Stage 2 :lightning: Pokémon Prime with 140 HP.
*17 I've always wanted to say that.

Sorry for the cliffhanger, I just felt that I had to post something up. The rest of the battle will come in Chapter 4, which will probably come in a week. I'll type up a bonus as an apology for the cliffhanger.

Last edited:
This is a great story so far, but there are some mistakes. I don't know if you just chose not to write this in, but magnezone doen't have enough energy to attack. It only has one energy attached to it from the first turn and two energies on the bench from pachirisu.

@TheKing
Thanks for trying to catch a mistake at least, let me know if you see anything else.

@Whoever's reading this
Don't be afraid to ask questions and point out errors.

more MORE more :clap:MORE :clap:it is very good but can i have a basic civilation era time line
so i can tell what happened since 20th century and the future in the story

I can't really write up a timeline because that might reveal some of the plot (which I know the general direction of, but not the exact content of the storyline.), and not showing the entire timeline would give be a bit of freedom in "changing history" in order to clear up any problems that might come up in the plot. I will go in deeper eventually, and maybe once I get things set down, I'll make a timeline.

I have a little time to type now and will have more time later. Life has been getting in the way.

Here.

Chapter 3.5
POP Series 1

Not exactly a chapter, more like a theme song. This one’s for Neil, called

“One Coin Flip”
By LegendCallerL

It starts it,
Swings it,
Sends it on its way.

A new round,
A new chance,
Another day.

Our hopes are here,
A dream of tomorrow,
It all comes down to this…

One coin flip!
A chance like this just can’t be missed.
Take it and seize the day!

In life, there’s luck.
Perfect hands and
Dead draws stay.

We play with the cards,
Fate plays with our lives.
There’s something left to say.

Our hopes are here,
A dream of tomorrow,
It all comes down to this…

One coin flip!
A chance like this just can’t be missed.
Take it and seize the day!

Yeah. I guess I'll stick to fanfiction intead of songs.

I'm typing the next Chapter right now and I'll edit this post to include it when I'm done.
Edit: Sorry, but thanks to difficulties, it may take some time for this to come up. It will be up by the end of today.
Edit: Here.

Chapter 4
Team Rocket Returns: Unfinished Business

“Ha. I see my skill has left you speechless. My turn ends.”

Okay. Where to go from here? Let’s start with the obvious and draw. Seven cards, a Pokémon Collector, a Pokémon Communication, a Switch, 3 energy, and a Dewott. Time to set up.

“I’ll start off by playing my supporter, Pokémon Collector and grab another Totodile, a Cleffa, and an Alomomomola, er Alolomomola*18, whatever it’s called and set them all down. Then, I’ll Switch my active Pokémon with Cleffa and attach a :water: energy to my Benched Oshawott.
Nothing left for me to do but Eeeeeeek and end my turn. Now, I’ll flip for Sleep.”

The coin lands and Cleffa snoozes on.
Not a good time to get sentimental Magnezone…

“I’ll draw and then use my Item, Rare Candy to evolve my Tepig straight into Emboar. Using Inferno Fandango, 2 :fire: energy from my hand will rain down onto Magnezone and using my normal attachment for the turn, I’ll attach a :lightning: energy onto Magnezone as well. Speaking of Magnezone, he’s going to use his Magnetic Draw again, giving me 5 new cards. Using one of those cards that I just drew, I’ll play down a Tepig and end my turn.”

And right about then, Cleffa woke up.
Of all the rotten luck…
“It’s my turn, so I’ll draw. Ha, it looks like I’ve got good luck today! I’ll use Pokémon Communication to swap my Croconaw with a Pokémon in my deck, Feraligatr. Using Twins, I’ll get 2 cards of my choice from my deck, one of which I’ll be playing right now, Rare Candy. Using it, I’ll Evolve my Totodile into one of my favorite cards, Feraligatr Prime!”
A flash of light, and where there once was a Basic Pokémon stood a Feraligatr in all its torrential glory.
“Anyway, I’ll Retreat Cleffa to Alomomomola, who I’ll attach 3 :water: energy to using Rain Dance. Now, Hydro Pump for 70 damage!*19”

Say good night!

“I’ll draw my card, attach a :lightning: energy to my Benched Tepig, Inferno Fandango 2 :fire: energy onto it and evolve it into Pignite. I’ll Magnetic Draw until I have 6 cards in my hand and Lost Burn one energy attached to Magnezone away to Knock Out Alomomola thanks to Weakness!”

So he has 4 prizes left and I have 6... Make that 5.

“I’ll bring up my Feraligatr Prime and play a Supporter, Fisherman, which lets me take back my 4 :water: energy in my Discard Pile back to my hand, all of which I’m attaching onto Feraligatr. I’ll put down 1 energy on my Oshawott, too. Oh, and before I forget, I’ll evolve him into a Dewott Then, I’ll use Hydro Crunch to take down your Magnezone Prime!”

Time for Plan E.

“It’s my turn, so I’ll bring up my Pignite, who I will attach a lightning energy to. I will now evolve that same Pignite into Emboar!”
“Another one?”
“This one has different moves than the other one. Like this! Flare Blitz! By sending all :fire:energy attached to Emboar to the discard pile, I can do 150 damage and Knock Out your Feraligatr!!!”

How? In one hit, the strongest card in his deck went down. It can’t end here, can it? Only one card in hand and it’s a Junk Arm. Totodile goes up and almost ready to go down.

“I-I draw!”
Huh.*20
It’s a Potion.

Crap.

“I’ll end my turn.”
“Ha, prepare to say goodbye to your Lithograph. I’ll use my Professor Oak’s New Theory and shuffle-draw for 6 cards. Then, I’ll Inferno Fandango 2 :fire: energy to Emboar and Flare Blitz again!”

Dewott goes up. The clock is ticking. Game over. Judgment time. One last draw and then a forfeit.
What? Someone has got to be messing with fate here.*21
It’s a Judge.

“I’ll play down Judge! We both have to shuffle our hands into our decks and draw 4 cards.”
A shuffle and it’s up to fate.

Card 1.
Pokémon Collector.

Come on, come on…

Card 2.
Double Colorless Energy.

This has got to get something that can win…

Card 3.
:water: energy.

One last card!

Card 4.
SaMr. Minamimoto.
“Hold it right there! You both know better than to gamble!”*22

End highlight reel!

*18 He means Alomomola.
*19 For something called the “caring Pokémon”, it’s strange that none of the Alomomola cards have any attacks that do anything but damage.
*20 Heart of the Cards!
*21 It’s almost like someone has scripted this out carefully for the most climactic ending ever!
*22 Disappointed?

Anyway, what do you think? Kind of an abrupt ending, but I promise to reveal how that would have ended. The last card was a Samurott. The ability one. Can you put it together?

Fine, here’s a bit more to make up for that.

----------------------------------Location: Unknown----------------------------------
IS THE CODING FINISHED?

Yes, sir. Experiment 001, code G is complete.
IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER NICELY...
YOU'VE FOUND A TEST SUBJECT TO GIVE THE CARD TO?

Yes, sir. Phase 2 will start immediately and Experiments 002 and 003 will soon be finished.
YOU ARE EXCUSED. END COMMUNICATION NOW.
Yes, sir, ending communication n-

Last edited:
Back