Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

proper pokemon tcg etiquette

rokman

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
Proper Pokemon TCG Etiquette

The Pokemon Community has an article on Spirit of the Game and sets up a very basic foundation for TCG etiquette. In all the years I've played the game I've met many diverse players each with different personalities. Each person has their own quirks and some don't have any etiquette at all. Hopefully with this article I can share some knowledge and perspective on the game and maybe some people will learn a thing or two. These things aren't required of you, it's just a suggestion!

How to prepare for a tournament
Before you can even show how well mannered you are at a tournament, certain steps must take place at home first. You need to be prepared in many ways more than one and here I'll go over the many parts of this process. First impressions can go a long way!

1. Proper Hygiene.
(Take a shower, put on deodorant, brush your teeth, wear clean clothes) Unfortunately all trading card games, tabletop games, and pretty much any event that can take place in a comic book store attracts some smelly people. The last thing anyone wants is to play against someone with bad breath or sit next to a stinky person. There is absolutely no excuse to be out in public and not be clean and fresh. In my opinion, I don't care if you are rude to me because that's apart of going out in public, but if you stink, I'll absolutely never want to talk to you again.

2. Bring all of the necessary tools to play Pokemon.
You need at least your deck, dice, and poison/burn markers. It would really help the pace of the tournament if you also bring a deck sheet so you can hop in line for deck checks right away. Unfortunately, it isn't mandatory to bring one with you, yet. But it's 2010 and everyone should own a computer or have access to a library with one. It isn't that complicated or expensive to print out a deck sheet. If I was in charge of TPCI or whatever, I would make it mandatory. That way when you sign up for the tournament you can do a deck check, it could cut down on a lot of time. Pokegym's deck builder is a great resource, you don't even need to look up a card's set or number as long as you know what it looks like! http://pokegym.net/decklist/pokemon.htm If you don't have a way to print one out, pen and paper!

3. Bring a good attitude.
Wake up, eat some breakfast, and try to be in a good mood. Pokemon tournaments are a social environment and nobody likes a rude person. A lot of what makes Pokemon great is by making friends it can benefit you later down the road. You can have friends who will trade with you and let you borrow cards, you have friends to playtest against, and you can even talk about decks with these people! Always try to be nice and considerate. You never know if you'll need help later and it's always a good thing to help others!

Pro Tip
Bring a notepad and pen to take notes on your matches! According to the new rules, you can take any notes you want, and it's private from your opponent! The only person that can look at it is you and any judge. So, you can't write in code or anything like that. One thing you can do is write down your prizes when you use Azelf's Time Walk!

Think if a Pokemon tournament was a very important job to you. Would you show up to your job smelly? What about without your necessary equipment? And in a bad attitude? You'd lose that job very quickly! Always try to remember these 3 things because they are very "social rules" to you as a person, and as a player of the Pokemon TCG. You won't ever find a date if you break one of these 3 steps!

Before a match begins
Before you even sit down across from your opponent, you can be sending all the wrong messages. Sure, to some people Pokemon is all about winning (I'm one of these people) but when playing a gentlemen's game, winning isn't the most important part, being a good sport is.

1. Introduce yourself, shake hands, wish your opponent good luck.
No, you don't have to actually wish your opponent good luck, just say it because it's good sportsmanship. Don't be rude when you introduce yourself either. I remember many years ago, when I was much younger and naive, a guy sat down across from me and said, "My name is - and I'm going to wipe the floor with you." Immediately I was put off and snapped back, but even today I can't stand this guy. I'm mostly holding a grudge against him because he ended up donking me and I had a great hand, haha! Most importantly, just don't be rude

2. Don't groan at your hand or reveal it to your neighbor to show off.
This is perfectly acceptable behavior for league games or pickup games with friends, but at a tournament, it's serious business. Always be professional and try to be neutral. What if your opponent has a better hand? You'll just look like an idiot for showing off. What if your terrible hand changes right away and you topdeck a great card? That's even worse because nobody wants their opponent to tell them their hand is bad, get excited, and then see their opponent top deck into oblivion.

3. Proper shuffling.
There are many, many ways to shuffle your deck. Almost any of them are correct besides ones that break the rules. You can not shuffle your deck with your cards face up towards you. They need to be face down to the table so neither you or your opponent can see what cards are on bottom during the shuffling and after your opponent cuts. It's completely understandable if you can't bridge shuffle like dealer's at poker tables. Just please don't lay all your cards on the table and "domino shuffle"! "Pile shuffling" is also a great way to randomize your deck. To do this, hold your deck in one hand and place the top card in it's own pile until you make 3-10 stacks (your preference) then after you've made a specific amount of stacks, start back at the first one and continue until you have no cards left in your deck. Then pick them all up!

Pro Tip
Gentlemen have firm hand shakes. Nobody likes to shake hands with a limp fish. Grasp your opponent's hand firmly, squeeze gently and shake. If you have trouble with shaking hands, check out this helpful website on how to shake hands like a gentleman! http://www.ehow.com/how_2737_shake-hands.html Think of the pre-game set up like a job interview. Be professional, be considerate, and try to be positive.

During your match
So, you've finally started playing against your opponent! But what else do you need to know to have good TCG etiquette? Certainly you aren't finished being a gentlemen!

1. Keep your field neat and tidy!
One of my pet peeves is when my opponent's field is a mess. It makes it harder to see what cards are where, who has tools, how much energy, and what their evolutions are. Always remember that you AND your opponent has to know everything on the field at all times! If it gets to be too much of a problem, your opponent can even call a judge over!

2. Respect the clock!
Playing too fast or too slow can be disorienting to players. Newer players can't keep up with a fast pace, so always recognize this. Older, veteran players cringe when they face someone who moves at a slug's pace. Usually, they won't mind new TCG players taking their time, but if two veterans are playing each other, you better bet if one plays too slowly, a judge will be called.

3. Say what cards you are playing, what you are doing, and say it clearly!
This actually isn't an option, it's a rule. But people sometimes still don't say what they are doing at all times and sometimes mumble or speak softly. Don't be shy! Speak up and always say what you are doing! When it isn't your turn, pay attention to what your opponent is doing in case they play a card improperly or do something they can't (like play a trainer with Spiritomb active). It is the responsibility of both players to pay attention to the state of the game. Don't look at your neighbor's game or anything like that! Stay focused!

4. Be respectful to your opponent and THEIR turn!
Absolutely do not talk or "chat" when it is your opponents turn. This is my biggest pet peeve and I have no patience for this. I'll warn you once and call a judge almost instantly if you do it again, if I have to. Unfortunately, I have had to call a judge over once. The only time you should talk during your opponent's turn is if you have a question or need to power spray or something like that. It's also okay to remind them when they do something wrong like play a trainer with Spiritomb, just politely remind them they can't do that. Also pay attention when it is your opponent's turn!

5. Always offer your opponent to cut your deck.
Every time you shuffle your deck, hold it out to your opponent and ask them if they would like to cut. Don't tell them to cut it, don't cut it for them, or anything like that. Just politely ask if they want to. If they don't, promptly put your deck back down and continue with your turn.

6. Think of everything 50/50!!!
What I mean by 50/50 is when in a tournament match, you AND your opponent is playing. So when your opponent asks to look at your discard, you should pick up your discard pile and hold it over the field, 50% of the way to give it to them. They will then go the other 50% of the distance to get the discard pile. I know this is silly, but it can be infuriating when you ask to do something and you have to reach across the table because your opponent is inconsiderate. When you shuffle your deck and offer your opponent to cut, hold it out 50% of the way!

7. Don't do anything until your opponent has declared what they are doing.
This includes getting dice ready for damage before they announce what attack and how much it does, drawing for your turn while your opponent is still shuffling, or power spraying when your opponent drops Uxie before they say Set Up. Not only are some of these things against the rules and a judge can be called over, it is certainly inappropriate and rude.

Pro Tip
After you use a "once during your turn" power like Uxie Lv.X's Trade off or Bronzong G's Galactic Switch, tilt the card that uses the power 45 degrees left or right. This is a simple indication for you and your opponent that this card has been "used" for this turn. I'm pretty sure this isn't against the rules and, in my opinion, should be added to the rules so their isn't any confusion during a long turn if someone has used a power or not.

After the match is over
The game is finally over and you have hopefully won or unfortunately lost! But being a good sport is never over! This is often the most important part of a match because this is the last impression you leave on someone!

1. Do not gloat or complain about the match!
This seems like common sense to some people but there is always a "that guy" in every pokemon community. At the end of the match, if you lost, don't come up with an excuse just because. Even if there is a pretty clear excuse that you whiffed on the energy or something was prized, you don't have to announce it and diminish your opponent's playing. If you win, absolutely do not gloat about it. This is the worst thing you can do in a pokemon match and you will certainly have no friends if you do it at a tournament!

2. Shake hands and tell your opponent good job.
Even if you won, don't be snarky about it. Remember, the person you beat probably invested a lot of time in their deck and wanted to win just as bad as you did! Be respectful and tell them they did a good job regardless of the outcome. Sometimes it's even a good idea to apologize if you donked them. Hopefully they will understand that is apart of the game of pokemon and happens to everyone.

Pro Tip
If you played against a newer player to the TCG, it's a great idea to give them helpful tips on the game and maybe take a look at their deck. As a veteran player, it's your duty to help the community grow and get better! Some people might not want advice, and that's fine. But I guarantee most people would love it!

In conclusion, being a gentleman is a 24/7 operation. Always be the best you can be because that's how people will remember you!

You think Ash Ketchum would of made it as far as he did being stinky and rude? Of course not!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article a couple of cheers and jeers:

1. Proper Hygiene.
(Take a shower, put on deodorant, brush your teeth, wear clean clothes) Unfortunately all trading card games, tabletop games, and pretty much any event that can take place in a comic book store attracts some smelly people. The last thing anyone wants is to play against someone with bad breath or sit next to a stinky person. There is absolutely no excuse to be out in public and not be clean and fresh. In my opinion, I don't care if you are rude to me because that's apart of going out in public, but if you stink, I'll absolutely never want to talk to you again.

This can't be stressed enough. Far too many people show up to these tournaments smelling to high heaven. My biggest peeve is the ones who so obviously aven't washed their neck in a very long time that it is many, MANY shades darker than the rest of their skin. This ISN'T because the skin toward the back of your neck is darker for some reason, it's because you are lazy, nasty, and unclean.

2. Bring all of the necessary tools to play Pokemon.
You need at least your deck, dice, and poison/burn markers. It would really help the pace of the tournament if you also bring a deck sheet so you can hop in line for deck checks right away. Unfortunately, it isn't mandatory to bring one with you, yet. But it's 2010 and everyone should own a computer or have access to a library with one. It isn't that complicated or expensive to print out a deck sheet. If I was in charge of TPCI or whatever, I would make it mandatory. That way when you sign up for the tournament you can do a deck check, it could cut down on a lot of time.

A bit snobbish and not realizing a lot of people's positions; it assumes a lot. My library for example requires you to put a minimum of $10 on a print card to print anything at the library. There is no way a few of the kids in my League could afford this on top of the few cards they get to buy. Before you say well their parents shouldn't be wasting money on Pokemon cards at all then, every kid deserves to have some extracurricular activity. Pokemon is actually cheaper than other alternatives such as baseball and youth football.

Pro Tip
Gentlemen have firm hand shakes. Nobody likes to shake hands with a limp fish. Grasp your opponent's hand firmly, squeeze gently and shake. If you have trouble with shaking hands, check out this helpful website on how to shake hands like a gentleman! http://www.ehow.com/how_2737_shake-hands.html Think of the pre-game set up like a job interview. Be professional, be considerate, and try to be positive.

Couldn't have said it any better! It's repulsive when someone gives you their dead clammy hand.

Shame that you didn't submit it as an article. This really should be on the front page. These are common occurrences in pretty much every TCG.

During Spring Battle Roads I was the only one to come with my decklist completely written down. Everyone else came in and rushed writing it down and this was my first time playing at a tourney. I was surprised by how little people had worked on it the night before and opted instead for that morning. Good thing that was the only problem as most all the players were very nice and I've gotten to know a few of them. Good article. :biggrin:

PTC brings up a good point, if you can't use a printer, pen and paper!

Shame that you didn't submit it as an article.
Shame that submitting an article on the gym is so tedious.

And to be honest, I think more people look at the TCG gossip section than the front page! :p

I'm sure I recall a thread/post somewhere that stated that "tapping" your cards by turning them to show use of a power was not acceptable (sanctioned?) in pokemon tcg. I'll have to try and find it now :( Memory is such a fallible retrieval system but its the only one I have

Handshake: some of us have damaged hands and don't appreciate the "manly" handshake. There is nothing manly about inflicting pain accidentally or otherwise.

edit: hmm seems like I've only said negative things :( not my intent as the article is for the most part a do unto others as your would be done by. A message that should be repeated often. So :clap:

Last edited:
I'm sure I recall a thread/post somewhere that stated that "tapping" your cards by turning them to show use of a power was not acceptable in pokemon tcg. I'll have to try and find it now :( Memory is such a fallible retrieval system but its the only one I have

Handshake: some of us have damaged hands and don't appreciate the "manly" handshake. There is nothing manly about inflicting pain accidentally or otherwise.

The point of a gentlemen's handshake is not to inflict pain, it's barely even a squeeze.

If you have hand problems, don't shake people hands!

Also, if you "tilt" the card, i'm pretty sure it isn't against the rules, because I see people will messy fields all the time, every other card is titled in a different direction.

Last edited:
I personally don't have a problem with tilting cards to show use of a power. But there are an awful lot of judges out there and most wont read this thread, and even those that do can disagree that tilting cards is acceptable.

I remember from a worlds some time ago that I was specifically told to nitpick on orientation of cards. So for that tournament I did. I don't know what had led up to that approach and it hasn't been mentioned since.

looks at pic: YEA go speedtrode!

Last edited:
I remember from a worlds some time ago that I was specifically told to nitpick on orientation of cards. So for that tournament I did.

It would make MORE sense to do that at worlds because of the language barrier. :eek:

It's a simple easy way to recognize someone using a power, they just tilt the card a bit, ok both players know he is using a power without either of them needing a translator or w/e

You don't have to convince me. ;)

I don't tap my pokemon cards when I play at league because I don't want my league players going to tournaments and offering the judge the reason that Ian said it is okay. As much as I might want someone for Pokemon to say it is acceptable I suspect they can't. I hate politics!

Nice guidelines. ^^

But there's one thing I'd definitely add to "How to prepare for a tournament", and that's "Arrive on time". It's really annoying for players and judges if the tournament start is delayed because there are some players who arrive in last minute and then even have an incorrect or difficult-to-read decklist.

Of course there can happen things on your way you didn't expect, but therefor, players should plan to arrive at least half an hour before the deadline. Time before the tournament starts can usually be used for talking, trades and fun-matches, so there's no problem about beeing there early.

I liked the article but, I have one problem with it:

Why should you write out a deck list before the tournament?

I am a person who memorized every single card of every single deck that I play and I can write my deck out in under 5 mins. I am just saying, it isn't a necessity.

I am a person who memorized every single card of every single deck that I play and I can write my deck out in under 5 mins. I am just saying, it isn't a necessity.

Fast writing makes for illegible lists, more often than not. Using a typewriter or computer printer makes a Judge's job infinitely easier by NOT having to decipher illegible handwriting. It's a reason I give a booster pack to every person that types their decklist at my Premier events.

Dear Rokman,

Will you offer to have a handshake with a cutoff arm (the plastic one)?

Eitherways, nice article!

I'm sure there are also some people who think they won't stink if they don't have a shower :lol:

Anyway, great article. Should definitely be stickied somewhere.

The funk that arises at some pokemon tournaments is out of this world. Shower+DEODERANT!! and you're good to go.

I cant stress deoderant enough. There are usually two types of people who smell bad. The ones who dont shower and the ones who dont put on deoderant. The ones who dont shower usually have smelly hair, which is pretty bad in itself. However, the people who dont wear deoderant are the ones who should be put in pokemon jail or something. Tournaments are high stress environments which causes people to not only sweat more, but produce funkier smelling sweat than if they would be exercising.

My recommendation? If you go to middle school, you should where deoderant :fire:

Thanks for the article. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the emphasis on sportsmanship Pokemon places on the game, with handshakes before and after each game.

As a judge and fan of deck checks, I love the deck builder program you linked to for creating deck lists. I can say that if one father used the program for his son at a major tournament then his son would not have been forced to substitute energy for a hugely important card in his deck - leading to an auto loss situation in top cut. I also question whether the deck would have made top cut at all had the deck undergone a pre-tourney deck check, but that is a different matter entirely. I am a huge fan of deck checks. When not mandatory, they are often offered as an optional courtesy. Take advantage of the opportunity when offered - it is painful to have to end someone's competition over otherwise correctable deck or sleeve problems.

rokman, I would suggest adding one item to your pre tourney preparations: finding 61 or more sleeves without marks or memorizable unique wear patterns, of the exact same color and hue and the same length and width. Because many sleeves are sold in packs of 50, 10 cards must be imported from another package. Sometimes these are a little longer or a little more translucent. This leads to the potential for shenanigans, and your deck will earn you deck a re-sleeve pre-tourney, and penalty during the tourney if not caught earlier. Finding 60 matching sleeves is good, but finding 61 or more is better as sometimes sleeves rip or suffer a bent corner during a tournament, and it is usually preferable to re-sleeve one card rather than a complete deck. This is an extension of your bring all necessary tools note, rokman.

Again, thanks for a solid article.

If you ever judged a tournament, you would know that there's nothing more annoying than a list that's written in 3 mins and where you can't decipher anything. I saw lists that are not ordered by Pokémon, trainers, and energy, where some cards are crossed out and other written in unreadable small letters between the lines - and that, even from good players who are playing successfully for years.

The most ironical thing is, it takes less time and effort to put it into the decklist program which adds sets and numbers almost automatically. But still, there are players who come up with unreadable and incorrect lists.

If you can consistantly write a legal and readable list within 5 minutes (in a load pre-tournament-enviroment) - ok, but most of the players can't.

Back