Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Protecting your Pokemon Stuff

mysterioustrainer

Pokémon is a very popular game and it takes a lot of time to play, win, and collect the cards. While investing your time into finding your ultimate deck for a tournament, or using your money to get your hands on new cards is always a fact in Pokémon. Everyone should take both and make sure you protect your Pokémon stuff. This may seem like a boring thing to do however there are also ways to make the best of it as well. In any case, protecting your Pokémon things is always a plus in the Pokémon TCG.

Protecting your Pokémon Stuff
By Craig Simpson

Protecting your cards from the elements of battle
I have used about 90% of my Pokemon cards in battle at one time or another, so I know it is important to take care of them when I play with them. There are a few things to consider when playing with your cards in order to make sure they stay in nice condition.

First off, sleeves are an essential for any trading card game player. Using sleeves allows a player to protect the cards he or she is using in a deck from scratches, nicks, and more common damage marks that cards will wield if they are unsleeved. Sleeves are also easier way to prevent your cards from being stolen. Try to find unique sleeves either with beautiful art backed design, or a cool holographic pattern. If you can be unique amongst other players you will have the advantage of identifying your deck easier if it is misplaced.

Another wise investment is a deck box (or a deck tin) of sorts to prevent your deck from becoming lost. Most deck boxes now have a place where you can write your name either on the inside or outside of the box. You should not only put your name but your address on there as well in case someone finds them after you left. Again finding unique deck boxes gain the advantage of finding your deck easier.

Protecting your cards and other things when outside of your house
Pokémon Leagues, tournaments, prereleases, and championships, there is so much you can do in Pokémon Organized Play however as you take place in these events you also have the responsibility to take care of your own things. One wise investment is a decent item to carry all of your stuff in. This can be a variety of things, there are cases designed specifically for decks, but there are also binders which can hold decks and your collections, like the Ultra Pro Album and Deck Binder (click here for review). Even a good sturdy backpack is a great investment. Whatever the case, make sure you pick an case or backpack which can go around your shoulder so you can easily carry it, this way you won’t risk as much of setting it down and forgetting about it.

When on the go, zippered binders are worthy investments over regular binders as they make sure your cards stay in the binder. Card pages can often allow cards to slip out of the pages if they are held upside down. Also a closed binder is a more secure way of preventing anyone from sneaking into your binder when you don’t want them too. Zippered binders do have the downfall of costing more, but can be worth it. When Zippered binders are not an option, try using smaller 4-card ready to go pocket binders. Using these will enable you to safely store tradable cards and easily keep it out of sight when not being used.

Also make sure you have a decent method of carrying your damage counters and your coins. The best to know of would be a durable velvet bag which can be found at your local retailers. While plastic containers are also not a bad idea, they do wear, and the joint which keeps the container closed may one day break, spilling your damage counters when you least expect it. By safely storing your damage counters you can keep them contained and yet ready to use when you need them.

It is just as popular to have your Game Boy® or Nintendo DS® hardware or software with you when at Pokémon TCG events; however you must take care of your electronic investments just as much. It works best when you use carrying cases that safely store your electronics that either do one of two things. One, the carrying case can equip to your belt or a strap. Two, can be attached to your backpack or other storage device.

Protecting your cards at home
Yes even at home you should find ways to take care of your cards. There are several ways to do this and it really depends on how you collect your cards, what your space is, and how many cards you have. Binders are the easiest way to store and organize your Pokémon card collection, and it can often work best to have one binder for each expansion of Pokémon cards. These binders since they stay home, don’t have to be zippered or anything extra secure, however they should be durable.

When storing mass quantities of common cards or basic Energy cards, you should invest in some durable boxes which can hold several cards. These can often be found extremely cheap (especially the white ones) and are great for storing lots of cards in one tight spot.

Other tips to protect your stuff<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  • Pokémon Cards are valuable so only take the ones you are going to play with in decks, or the ones you want to possibly trade<o:p></o:p>
  • Start a checklist or inventory of your cards to help keep them organized, this way you don’t have to bring your collection to figure out what you don’t have yet.<o:p></o:p>
  • Prepare in advance when you know you are going to be getting a lot of cards (like a prerelease) by getting a new binder or card box ready.<o:p></o:p>
  • When taking long trips, it may be necessary to take your collection with you, however you need to sure you can find reasonable and very safe ways to take it along. If flying try to take your collection on as a carry-on item if possible.<o:p></o:p>
  • The safer you are with your stuff, the more fun you will have.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job MT!

That Was A Great Article. :clap:

If Any Of You Where Are The Utah State Championships, I Did What It Called:

"The Stuff Speach" :biggrin:

This Article Is A Longer Versian Of "The Stuff Speach"

Again, Great Article MT. :thumb:

-Professor ultimatedra

(And Yes, "The Stuff Speach" Will Be Done SEVERAL Times At The MtnW Regionals) :tongue:

and a quick note to those people who live in states that get ridiclously hot in the summer (100+ degrees F.) DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CARDS IN THE BACKSEAT OF A CAR OR ANWHERE NEAR THE SUN! Your cards will warp and bnd and peal and all that grand stuff...so just be careful

Good tip surge. I live in a very controllable enviroment so that did not come to mind. Overall it is not good to leave your cards in a place where they could get excessively hot or possibly wet, like outside.

also, if you want to protect old cards, DO NOT shove them in an old drawer. they will warp and bend double. I did that with my 3000+ base set/jungle/rocket cards, and they are now utterly useless

Great article and great work preparing it.

I know from experience how not watching your cards kills. I was at the WCSC back in 2002 and i left my cards on a table for 2 minutes. I turned around and my 29 page binder with 2 years of work is gone. All my cards were taken away from me and i had nothing.

Back this past states in cedar grove i left my deck in a bag and was siting outside when i left it there. Thansk god noone took it because my zappy deck which took $40 and alot of trading was almost gone along with my 40 dice that i collected since 2003

At pokemon center NY JohhnyBlaze lost his $450 camera when he left it on a table and it was sneaked out by someone. FlareStarfire left his yu-gi-oh deck out and it was left without him remembering but it was gone,thankfully a loyal mass player got it back to him.

The resposibilty of keeping your cards in a safe place is a resposibilty that is hard but worth of doing due to in a flash someone can swipe you collection.

On a plane i reccomend to keep your cards in carryon so they are safe. I do it every flighht i take. I know back in the WCSTS 2001 when wizards sent much product on the stowaway and it was missing for almost 24 hours so they almost dident have a latenight draft.

This past worlds a family had a son in worlds and they transferred a big collection they had into the worlds binder. Not only at that time was the worlds binder an arm and a leg to get but the colection was good enough that someone took it and they offered $60 for it but no luck unfortunily. Thats probabily a $200+ collection in a unique worlds binder.

At our leauge we all know eachotehr and noone will steal but there was a crummy little kid who was around but not known. We kept out stuff close but one kid was not so luck. He just pulled a rare Chex and put in his binder. While playing the little kid came up and knew the stuff so he got the chex and left before we can all see him. Ad we all keep our stuff close the kid left it far away felling this wont happen but like that :poof:,gone. We tried to chased him down but too late due to he already dissapered

I can reccomend that nomatter whre you are,get a backpack,deck tin and box to keep your stuff in and like criag said the zipper binders are best. I use non zipper due to easy access but ill change to a zipper binder soon.

Believe me criag is a very smart person and this speech couldent be given by a better person in my opinion so listen to this and keep your stuff safe at all times even if your at a local tourney. There are thiefes and liers everywhere so watch your back.

I use the Ultra-Pro World's binder, and not only do they hold everything you need for the day, but I can personally attest to how durable they are. I live in an upstairs apartment, and a friend wanted to see my cards. After I zipped it up, my friend accidentally knocked it over the balcony rail. After landing on cement, the only damage was a small rip on the binder, and no damage to the cards.

Great Article and do many times do people over looked or forget about watching/protecting their stuff.

I personally have not had anything stolen from me but I have seen it happen, so I have have always taken these precautions myself. And recently Ultra Pro released a card gamers backpack, specifically designed for us card gamers :D. I have had it for awile now and I am able to fit my trade binder, laptop, and recent set binder, with two decks, one of the four card binders and many other things on top of that. In addition the straps were chiropracticly desined for comfort and to keep your shoulders from being damaged like regular backpack straps do. I bought mine for $45 so its not all that cheap but well worth it in my opinion. It sounds like im tryng to sell product for them, heh, but just trying to help other organize and accessorize and keep their stuff safe, just a heads up :D.

I've been using a laptop computer bag on wheels (VERY large) to store my 2 binders, 7 decks, hundreds of extra sleeves, and my dice for about 6 months now, and nobody would take it, mostly b/c it's so recognizable that anybody who took it would be instantly taken by anybody with any brains.

Back