Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PURUGLY G - ROGUE King (Queen?) of the DP-PT Foodchain (Mini-article Included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrty byl

Format: DP-PT
Date: 4/01/2009
Title: PURUGLY G - King (Queen?) of the DP-PT Foodchain

BASIC DECK LIST
Pokémon (1)
1 Purugly G PT(88/127)

Trainers (46)
4 PlusPower
4 Life Herb
4 Potion
4 Snowpoint Temple
4 Poke Healer +
4 Pokédex Handy 910is
4 Warp Point
4 Bubble Coat
4 Cyrus' Conspiracy
4 Galactic HQ
2 Energy Pickup
4 Felicity's Drawing

Energy (13)
4 Health Energy
2 Fighting Energy
2 Psychic Energy
2 Grass Energy
3 Water Energy

BACKGROUND
It's April 1st, but this deck is no joke -- and centers around one of Pokémon Platinum's most thoroughly overlooked champions: Purugly G. This powerful new "G" Basic Pokémon with 90 HP and an attack that dishes an explosive 20 damage for only (C) is quite a contender! Best of all, Purugly G is a common in the all-new "Platinum" set. The fact that the "basic" version of this list only requires 1 Purugly PT makes it a VERY economical, yet viable deck choice for new players during the difficult recession-confounded times in which we live. Alas, I cannot take credit for this concept, as it was first suggested by Dark Weedle at the Oklahoma state championships.

STRATEGY
The way this deck works is simple: start the game with Purugly G, or don't start at all. You want to mulligan as many times as possible in order to get your opponent's hand as big as possible, which you will then devastate. With only 1 Basic Pokémon, the odds of pulling a basic during Set Up are 11.666% per deal. Under normal circumstances, this should yield at least several mulligans. Sure, your opponent might draw into a hand containing everything needed to wreck your game, but once you attack with Purugly G's "Chip Off" attack, you'll be sending all but 6 of those cards directly into his or her discard pile at your choosing; likely winning the game for you on turn 1, especially if you go first and have mulliganed fifteen or more times. The more mulligans, the better!

NAYSAYINGS
What's that you say?
"The opponent can just choose not to draw for mulligan.."
The incentive to draw for the opponent's mulligan is too great, and oftentimes opting to 'not' draw may result in an ex-post mistake on his or her part, should you start with Porygon (see "Mirror-centric" list below). Not drawing for mulligans goes against the grain of the current metagame. The opponent risks being benched by Purugly's "Chip Off" attack, which easily dishes 20 or more per turn with PlusPower. This strategy has a profound psychological impact on the opponent before the game even begins!
"How many 'mulligans' can I realistically pull off at a large event, such as a Regional Championship?"
Depending on how fast you can randomize your deck (3 shuffles or more) and how bad your luck is, you should be able to pull off at least six or seven mulligans per game, but probably more. You can keep mulligan-ing until a "judge ball" is deemed necessary, where a judge reveals cards from the deck until a basic appears, and which will seriously put into question the legitimacy of the match -- for which the outcome will have been significantly altered by a third party.
"This deck is a joke."
Was Shedinja/Fossil a joke? What about more current concepts, where strategy is entirely flip-based or discard-oriented, and tenuous at best -- like with Infernape PT or Absol SW?

MIRROR-CENTRIC DECK LIST (with input from Cyrus)
The advantage here is Porygon-Z Lv. X, whose power effectively wins the mirror match:

Pokémon (5)
1 Purugly G PT(88/127)
1 Porygon GE (81/106)
1 Porygon2 GE (49/106)
1 Porygon Z GE(6/106)
1 Porygon Z Lv.X GE (100/100)

Trainers (36)
4 Poké Turn
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Pokédex Handy 910is
4 Warp Point
4 Bubble Coat
4 Cyrus' Conspiracy
4 Galactic HQ
4 Energy Pickup
4 Felicity's Drawing

Energy (19)
4 Health Energy
4 Fighting Energy
4 Psychic Energy
4 Grass Energy
3 Water Energy

Matchups
Machamp/Rampardos(30/70)
If your opponent is able to get a Machamp out early, you're probably toast -- but what doesn't lose to Machamp nowadays? This one is winnable with few mulligans if you tech in an Unown G and Quick Balls.
G Decks(50/50)
It all depends on how bad your mulligan luck is.
Shaymin/Torterra/Sceptile/Tangrowth Stuff(70/30)
These decks are crammed at best, and rely on a crucial combo of cards to get moving. You're likely to dramatically slow the opponent, even with only a few good mulligans/"Chip Off" discards.
Dusknoir(70/30)
""
Amphytric(60/40)
The odds are not quite so heavily in your favor, but the logic from directly above applies.
Kingdra(60/40)
Again, the odds are not quite so heavily in your favor, but the logic from directly above applies.
Tyranitar(50/50)
It all depends on whether or not the opponent is able to start with Sableye, which will allow him/her the opportunity to go first, and possibly utilize some of the extra cards drawn before Purugly can discard them.
Gengar(40/60)
This matchup is iffy if you're not able to "Chip Off" some good stuff. However, one could tailor a list with fewer trainers for a Gengar-heavy metagame.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, watch out for Purugly G -- it's bound to be a factor at a Regional Championship near you!?!!!!:eek::eek:

Last edited:
I see one problem with the first deck. You run 4 poketurn and 4 super scoop up and you only have one pokemon in the deck if you used one of those trainers on that pokemon you would lose the game. But other than that i like the deck idea.

I see one problem with the first deck. You run 4 poketurn and 4 super scoop up and you only have one pokemon in the deck if you used one of those trainers on that pokemon you would lose the game. But other than that i like the deck idea.

Good point. It makes sense in the version with Porygon, or those running a tech G. Another option is to run 2 Purugly G.

YOu need recover energy to remove sleep

I have actually made this deck and it's fun!

Poketurn and ssu are useless when you hve one pokemon.

I ran this:

1 Purugly G

4 potion
4 life herb
4 pokehealer+
4 SNowpoint temple (+20 HP)
4 Leftovers (for heal after turn)
4 Poke Drawer +
4 Pokedex
4 Prof. Rowan

4 Health Energy
4 Recover Energy
X basic energy

I think you should drop the fighting energy for fire energy. Those are just a lot "hotter" (in the shallow Paris Hilton sense). Pun thoroughly intended.

You could probably drop a water and tech in a lightning energy as well. If you're playing against Kingdra, you can grab it with Cyrus, slap it on Purugly G, and cause them to assume the worst: you've got a surprise Zapdos somewhere up your sleeve! That thing annihilates the old sea dragon, and if they think you run it, you're going to have a mental edge on them (they'll be unnerved and more prone to misplay).

Purugly G feeds on misplays (both yours and your opponent's).

Energy Gain! So Purugly can attack for no energies or 2 energies! HES SO BROKEN!

Purugly g, the most broken card since plox.
May I suggest maybe 2-3 crobats.
Still gives you a slim chance of getting a basic but can work as a PP when needed :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back