Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Qualifications on Professor Redemption

Benlugia

Gallery Contributor
i realize i posted this in the pokemon-tcg forums, but i wish to post it here too.
Well...I'm only 16...and recently, I was asked to be head judge at a modified tournament at the Dreamation Convention in January. Now, I have waited three years to be a professor, and I finally become one. This is basically saying that I will not get credit for this tournament. Heck, I'm not even getting paid, and I also have to pay for food, transportation, and possibly admission. Basically, I am getting nothing in return. I don't mean to sound greedy, but it seems like this program is mainly aimed at adults. Let me explain my reason. I am too young to be a league leader. I am too young to be a TO. So, of course, I won't get credits for that because I can't do any of that stuff. Not because I don't want to (believe me, I want to), but because I am not old enough. Also, people don't seem to realize how hard it is to find tournaments to judge at. Not modified tournaments...I mean premier events and such. Because the judge support is no longer free, TO's will not hire judges in most cases, and some TO's decide to constantly use the exact same judges every single time, where, in the end, a lot of people don't get to EVER experience being a judge and the reoccuring judges are raking in the professor rewards.

I believe there should be age catagories. For instance, in order to do a certain activity, you must be a certain age. That way, more people will be able to get the benefit of the professor program. Or, maybe people who judge at tournaments that aren't premier tournaments should be recieving credits. Thanks for reading my input. Hope it will have some impact on the program.

I am sorry if you guys think I am starting to sound greedy, and I am not, trust me. I just want to have the same chances as everyone else, when in reality, it isn't happening. I am great with people, and I would love to judge tournaments. Unfortunatly, like I said, TO's only go for ones they have already had.

I agree with your idea. It's kinda hard around here to find places to judge, since most will go for the "more experienced" judge, etc.

Those people would most likely be judging at a Premier event. Allowing non-Premier tourneys to be elligble for points would be a good, IMO. (as long as it's a legal, sanctioned event w/ POP).

I also suggest that you discuss compensation (or at least "expense reimbursement") with the TO of the event that you will be Judging. Since it is not a Premeire Event, POP has no influence over it and it is between you and the TO regarding money or product to compensate you for your services.

ROFL nice if you get a headcount bounty then you can be good to your Judges .. harder when you don't .. International Judges beware we poor TOs are not swilling in cash, do it for the professor rewards, do it for the kudos but most of all do it for the kids and the game :)

it edit me off that i workj hard judging tournaments for our store and as a professor they will alow you to earn points for premier tournaments but when it comes to regular tournaments they wont give me points.

I hope they decide to give me points for judging the tournament

Joe, haven`t we had this discussion before about inappropriate words...Please, post without using them...- `Sensei

Last edited by a moderator:
FireFighter095ReBorn said:
it Edit me off that i workj hard judging tournaments for our store and as a professor they will alow you to earn points for premier tournaments but when it comes to regular tournaments they wont give me points.

I hope they decide to give me points for judging the tournament

I thought you would get points if you were judging and running the tournament even if its a non premier event.

Running Tournaments
If you are both a Tournament Organizer and a Professor, you will receive 10 credits for every tournament that you report on time. Credits will accrue from the point at which you are accepted into the Professor Program or on 8/31/04, whichever is later.

~Tormented~

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope: that's addressed to TOs who are _also_ professors; not all TOs (some PTOs, for example) are professors...

'mom

Last edited:
i just hope the system is changed. it makes it sound like the judging premier events is aimed only at the TO's who are "buddy-buddy" with their judges. i have asked NUMEROUS amounts of times to judge a premier event, but they said "they already have enough." they aren't even picking the best. they are just picking their friends, which doesn't help others at all.

Heck, I'd even judge at a tourney, even if there was no compensation, or if I didn't get points for it), becuase I really want to judge, after finally becomming a Professor. Right now, there dosen't seem to be any open spaces, but I guess I'll have to keep looking.....

Last edited:
I have to agree with everyone here, I am only 15, turning 16 in March, and the only thing I can do is be a judge. At the store I attend we have tournaments every weekend, so I figured judging wouldn't be a problem. But being 15, that's all I can do is judging, and, same as Benlugia's case, the judges are always the same judges (no offense to them, they are all great judges and great people. ^^) It's hard to get a spot, especially with my age.

I think you should obtain points for judging non-premier events.

I think it's a little bit unfair for me to be left out on all these cool redemtion prizes because of my age.

*Cough*Remindsaboutinappropriatewordusageleadingtobans*cough*

Please don't take offense with this post of mine, because I have a son who is 16, has been a judge at premier events, and smaller sanctioned, and unsanctioned events, with me, or without me. On the one hand I understand your desire to get these professor points, but on another level, I have to side with those Premier Tournament Organizers as well. First of all, who are we that says they "must" change their judges every premier tournament? If they are happy with the older experienced judges, and there have been no major problems at these venues, why should they be forced to change? I know this is not the case in all instances, so flaming me won't change anything, but I sometimes wonder if it isn't better to use older, more experienced judges, even just due to the maturity factor. Not all teenagers are ready for the responsibility. Yes, it is true, some are quite capable. I think each case has its own merits and should be judged accordingly. If you have a PTO that is willing to try you out, by all means, do what you can to help, but if that is not an option, it's not the end of the world. There are still many benefits available to the general pokemon playing public. Taking full advantage of these opportunities will work out well in the long run. Then perhaps in the future, and as you grow older, more opportunities will show up.

yes, but you need practice. the only way to practice for a premier tournament is to judge a premier tournament. its like in school. school prepares you for your future. you can't do much without learning and experience.

I am kind of in the same kind of boat as all of you im only 17 and not a TO but one nice thing in Green Bay is that im the only Professor here that I know of. The downside is we are too close to Manitowoc to have Premier events. (That has changed we are now allowed to have a CC :D) See if the event will let you judge have to judges one being the head judge and the other be a judge. Tell them you need the experiance if they dont you will die lol.

By the way, this is way off topic but anybody else having problems accesing the forums on pokemon-tcg.com?

~Tormented~

having been a judge at many events, i personally do not mind showing a new judge the ropes by showing them how to handle situations. so yes experiance does count, but, i feel there are very good judges out there, we don't need to be greedy. why not share our wealth of information and experiance with younger judges who are willing and in some cases more than capable of handling some of the responsabilities that we have. it is a good way to show them that what we get for compensation is by no means a "freebie". we gotta work our behinds off!!!! we can certainly all benefit from sharing our knowledge. feel free to reply in any means whatsoever, this is just my thoughts on the situation.

I got told by my PTO that he uses me as a judge because I show a willingness to listen to players, and converse with a repectful way to everyone involved in a dispute. He knows I know my stuff about rules, and people seem to respect my opinion (some people are so gullible - don't you think? LOL). Those are some of the reasons why I am used as much as I am. I'm not saying this to get kudos, or to brag, but to show that these are traits that a judge can use at all events. If you can convince them that you support them, and have some of those good qualities, it's only a matter of time before you are used extensively as well.

Sadly if the only reason anyone wishes to judge is for personal gain then that person probably isn't suitable judge material.

You are much more likely to be asked to judge if you are able to put your ego to one side.

Last edited:
You know, maybe I'm just lucky but I don't think that's the case. I'm seventeen and all I had to do was ask once and show the initiative to get our league all set up and now I'm a league leader. I also have a 16 year old sister, who, seeking professor points, asked our PTO if she could help out at a prerelease, and he made her head judge! So I think the opportunities are out there; maybe you just need to look a little harder or show a little initiative. Good luck!

Back