Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Question about the kalos starters set contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

signofzeta

Which card in the deck is holo? One of the basic stage starter, or the stage 2 starter?

Is there going to be product images showing the correct card in the front? I just can't wait any longer.

How does TPCi convert something that is 30 cards into 60 cards?

How does TPCi add 3 more rare equivalent pokemon cards in the deck, considering that probably only the stage 2 starters would have been rares if released in a booster type set?

If the 39 cards in the XY beginning set are similar to the 37 cards in the BW beginning set, and TPCi decides to take 2 30 card decks and combine them, how do they account for the fact that the deck has less rare equivalent cards, and only 2 pokemon lines could evolve, while theme decks have more than 2?

Here is what I hope for the Kalos starter set. Each deck is built with the exact template that theme decks use, and also contains some Legendary Treasures pokemon, along with it's own kalos starter set pokemon because you know, this is suuposed to replace the missing Legendary Treasures theme decks.

Here is what I hope does NOT happen. XY beginning set x2. I discussed above how doing this is a bad idea.

Last edited:
pokemon, along with it's own kalos starter set pokemon because you know, this is suuposed to replace the missing Legendary Treasures theme decks.

How do you explain that these decks are replacing the french Plasma Blast deck release? Based on this fact, assuming they'll have any BW cards is too far of an assumption

Here's what we know about the Kalos Starter Decks.

They will contain Fairy Energy.

Everything else about them is, at present, unknown.

How do you explain that these decks are replacing the french Plasma Blast deck release? Based on this fact, assuming they'll have any BW cards is too far of an assumption

Then what about Mind Wipe and Solar Stirke? What are they supposed to release come February, or whenever their Legendary Treasures is supposed to be released? It is a fact that no matter how you see it, Legendary Treasures doesn't have theme decks associated with it, and as such, I think these decks should contain both XY Kalos Starter set and Legendary treasures cards mixed in them, barring trainers, which can contain cards from almost any set in the series.

It is also most likely that the XY beginning set will be similar to the BW beginning set. This means that there are only 2 or maybe 3 lines that could evolve. Basing on what the card numbering is on Bulbapedia, it seems that the water deck might have metal pokemon in them. Metal comes after Darkness but before Dragon. All types that have their own energy always come before those that don't, so Fairy would most likely be listed after Metal, but before dragon.

The question is, how does TPCi handle something that is a 30 card deck, and turn it into a 60 card deck, and not make the deck boring, or get destroyed by theme decks? Considering the nature of the Beginning sets, and them being 30 card decks as opposed to 60 card decks, there would be probably only one rare equivalent pokemon per deck. So how does TPCi include 5 rare equivalent cards when there is only one to choose from? Here is what I mean by rare equivalent. Take the BW beginning set cards, and take the corresponding cards in the Black and White expansion released internationally. Only Serperior, Emboar, and Samurott turned out to be rares. The rare equivalent of a kalos starter set card would be the rarity it would have been if it were to be released as part of the February XY expansion.

Another thing is evolving pokemon. In a 30 card deck, there is probably enough room for 2 different pokemon lines that could evolve, and that is the case with the BW beginning set, and I assume that would be the case with the xy beginning set. Simply doubling the XY beginning set will still make the 60 deck contain 2 pokemon lines that could evolve, and a ton of basic pokemon that can't evolve or don't evolve because the card isn't included. So how does TPCi counteract the fact that the 39 cards in the XY beginning set don't have a lot of stage 1 or stage 2's due to the nature of being a set for beginners?

I am going to do some speculation.

First thing I am going to speculate is that the Kalos starter set is NOT XY beginning set x2. If it is, then I don't know what TPCi is thinking.

I also speculate that Grass, Fire, and Water will have the 5 pokemon with different names, Darkness, Metal, and Fairy will each have 3 pokemon with different names, 9 colorless pokemon with different names, and 6 trainer cards with different names. This totals 39 cards.

Ok, the first 30 cards probably would be the 30 card XY beginning set deck one for one. I am also going to make assumptions that the make up will be similar to the BW beginning set in terms of deck templating. I am also going to speculate on the chespin deck for example.

Here is what I think Chespin's XY beginning set deck will look like.

2-2-1 chespin line, total 5 cards
1 grass pokemon, total 6 cards
1 grass pokemon, total 7 cards
2-1 granbull line, total 9 cards
1 fairy pokemon, total 10 cards
1 colorless pokemon, total 11 cards
1 colorless pokemon dependent on gender version, total 12 cards
6 trainers but 5 different trainer cards, total 18 cards
12 energy, total 30 cards

Theme decks typicall have 18 energy, so let's add 6 to this. Total is 36 cards.

The stage 2 holo usually is a 4-3-2 line in theme decks. This adds 4 more cards. The total is now 40 cards.

Let us double the granbull line. That is what I think theme decks would have done in the case of a stage 1 that isn't rare, or at least I don't think Granbull would have been a rare if it were to be released in a booster set. This adds another 3 cards. The total is now 43

Let us add 2 more trainers to total 8 trainer cards by doubling 2 more trainer cards. The total is 45 cards.

There is no distinction betweein boys and girls version in the kalos starter set, so both versions are available, this adds one more card. The total is 46 cards.

Let us double the rest of the single basic pokemon lines. This adds 6 cards. The total is 52 cards.

So what would be the remaining 8 cards, while trying to fit this into the theme deck template, and 30 of the cards must be a one for one copy of what the XY beginning set might be?

Let us double the rest of the trainers instead. This adds 2 more cards. We have 54 cards.

Problem still is, not enough rare equivalents and not enough stage 1's.

Here's hoping that the XY beginning set contains at least one more pokemon that could evolve. Looking at the list of colorless pokemon within the 39 card set so far, it looks like none would evolve, and it wouldn't make sense to have one of them evolve. If there were to be a third pokemon line that could evolve within each 30 card deck, it would be Weedle Kakuna, Slugma Magcargo, and the water deck gets an evolving colorless pokemon that probably sits in card slot 30 and 31, but I doubt it. I have a feeling that it would only be 2 evolving pokemon lines, and that doesn't cut it for a theme deck.

Last edited:
Then what about Mind Wipe and Solar Stirke? What are they supposed to release come February, or whenever their Legendary Treasures is supposed to be released? It is a fact that no matter how you see it, Legendary Treasures doesn't have theme decks associated with it, and as such, I think these decks should contain both XY Kalos Starter set and Legendary treasures cards mixed in them, barring trainers, which can contain cards from almost any set in the series.

It is also most likely that the XY beginning set will be similar to the BW beginning set. This means that there are only 2 or maybe 3 lines that could evolve. Basing on what the card numbering is on Bulbapedia, it seems that the water deck might have metal pokemon in them. Metal comes after Darkness but before Dragon. All types that have their own energy always come before those that don't, so Fairy would most likely be listed after Metal, but before dragon.

XY is being released across the international board come February, and has two XY based theme decks associated with it. No language other than English is getting Legendary Treasures. Additionally, Fairy is confirmed to be between Metal and Dragon already. Just the Water deck hasn't been seen at all, so yes, it can be assumed that that deck has Metal.

Japanese half decks never have more than 2 copies of a single card (excluding Basic Energies). What is most likely going to happen is that that our Fennekin Deck is going to be the Japanese Fennekin Half Deck from the Beginning Set + the Fennekin Half Deck from the Beginning Set for Girls. Yes, this will mean few Pokémon will evolve. And this will mean lots of copies of single cards. But some liberties must be taken in order to have an international release, even if it will only be for these decks.

To answer your question, It looks like the whole starter line is holo.
Also this is probably already known, but the decks are grass/fairy, Water/Steel, Fire/Dark

XY is being released across the international board come February, and has two XY based theme decks associated with it. No language other than English is getting Legendary Treasures. Additionally, Fairy is confirmed to be between Metal and Dragon already. Just the Water deck hasn't been seen at all, so yes, it can be assumed that that deck has Metal.

Japanese half decks never have more than 2 copies of a single card (excluding Basic Energies). What is most likely going to happen is that that our Fennekin Deck is going to be the Japanese Fennekin Half Deck from the Beginning Set + the Fennekin Half Deck from the Beginning Set for Girls. Yes, this will mean few Pokémon will evolve. And this will mean lots of copies of single cards. But some liberties must be taken in order to have an international release, even if it will only be for these decks.

Looking at the BW beginning set, the girls version only replaced one card in the boys version. Chespin for boys has Snorlax. Chespin for Girls has Miltank. Fennekin for girls has Bidoof. Fennekin for boys has Skitty. Froakie for boys has Furfrou, and Froakie for girls has pink Furfrou. Knowing that there probably won't be any other pokemon that are different between boys and girls versions, this means that card 24 is fairy, and card 25 is probably colorless. Considering the price being the same as theme decks, if you simply just x2 the beginning set decks, you would only have 2 rares, and they both are going to be the same card, which feels like a rip off. I am not saying that x2 beginning set isn't going to happen. I'm just saying that it is a dumb idea for TPCi to x2 beginning set, not to mention that only 2 pokemon could evolve, and only 2 rare cards, and one specific card being rare.

Having 30 of the 60 cards be exactly same as the XY beginning set and the rest containing some Legendary Treasures cards doesn't mean that liberties aren't taken to have an international release. The deck has to have at least 4 pokemon lines that could evolve.

To answer your question, It looks like the whole starter line is holo.
Also this is probably already known, but the decks are grass/fairy, Water/Steel, Fire/Dark

So let's say it is a 4-3-2 line. Does that mean that there is going to be 9 holos? WOAH!!!!!!

Let's take the standard version of the Chespin deck. Is chespin going to be the card seen in the window, or Chesnaught?

Last edited:
The whole line is visible

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I would gather at only one of each is Holo. Kind of like the trainer kits

Last edited by a moderator:
I would gather at only one of each is Holo. Kadabra ND of like the trainer kits

The deluxe edition has the whole line visible, but not the standard edition. I am asking which card is the one that you can see through the cutout window in the standard version?

If I had to guess? The Final form

Well it better be the case, because putting the basic form would look so lame, although the packaging does have the basic form on it, so I don't really know. How do you know that all 3 pokemon in the evolutionary line are going to be holo? What kind of holo effect is it? Do all 3 forms have the same holo effect, or only one of them have a different holo effect from the other two?

Well it better be the case, because putting the basic form would look so lame, although the packaging does have the basic form on it, so I don't really know. How do you know that all 3 pokemon in the evolutionary line are going to be holo? What kind of holo effect is it? Do all 3 forms have the same holo effect, or only one of them have a different holo effect from the other two?

The Holo looks like the kind that the Promos are. To answer your other question, I may be Psychic? Idk we will see

The Holo looks like the kind that the Promos are. To answer your other question, I may be Psychic? Idk we will see

Regular boring holo? Aw man. Here's hopng for regular boring holo for the basic and stage 1, and a special cracked glass, or XY's specific holo treatment for the stage 2. I think the stage 2 needs to stand out over the previous stages.

All I hope for in the Kalos starter set decks is that they have the same template as theme decks. Doubling the XY beginning set does not fit the theme deck template.

Regular boring holo? Aw man. Here's hopng for regular boring holo for the basic and stage 1, and a special cracked glass, or XY's specific holo treatment for the stage 2. I think the stage 2 needs to stand out over the previous stages.

All I hope for in the Kalos starter set decks is that they have the same template as theme decks. Doubling the XY beginning set does not fit the theme deck template.

Well to be fair the new Holo does look different. Over on another site it says the cards are X/39. I do not know if that is per deck or all together though. So I am guessing that each deck will have 60 cards. As for the crackling Holo, maybe for the regular decks?

Well to be fair the new Holo does look different. Over on another site it says the cards are X/39. I do not know if that is per deck or all together though. So I am guessing that each deck will have 60 cards. As for the crackling Holo, maybe for the regular decks?

the X/39 is from the XY beginning set, which seems to be in these decks as well. The problem is, the XY beginning set is 30 card decks, and they are mostly 1 or 2 ofs, which means we can double the 30 card deck to form a 60 card deck. Here lies the inherent problem. You only have 2 pokemon that could evolve, while theme decks have at least 4, and you have only 2 rare cards, while theme decks typically have 5. The Kalos starter set specific cards don't have rarities. I am basing rarity on what they would have been if they were reelased in a booster set instead, using the BW beginning set cards as a reference.

I think holoing the stage 1 and the basic might justify the fact that these decks might be x2 xy beginning set. The holo basic and stage 1 increases the value when the deck loses 3 rares that a normal theme deck would have instead. I still think that the kalos starter set be built like theme decks, considering how Legendary Treasures don't have theme decks, and as such there should be a deck built like a theme deck released in November 2013.

The XY beginning set will have a certain effect on new players. I think that doubling the XY beginning set to a 60 card deck, will have a different effect on new players, and that effect is making the game boring for new players. As I said before, a deck that only has 2 pokemon lines that could evolve is boring. A deck that contains only one ace pokemon is boring. The BW beginning sets don't seem to have any other pokemon that could be the ace pokemon other than the final evolution starter pokemon, while theme decks seem to have at least 3 if not 4 pokemon that could be used as the ace.

the X/39 is from the XY beginning set, which seems to be in these decks as well. The problem is, the XY beginning set is 30 card decks, and they are mostly 1 or 2 ofs, which means we can double the 30 card deck to form a 60 card deck. Here lies the inherent problem. You only have 2 pokemon that could evolve, while theme decks have at least 4, and you have only 2 rare cards, while theme decks typically have 5. The Kalos starter set specific cards don't have rarities. I am basing rarity on what they would have been if they were reelased in a booster set instead, using the BW beginning set cards as a reference.

I think holoing the stage 1 and the basic might justify the fact that these decks might be x2 xy beginning set. The holo basic and stage 1 increases the value when the deck loses 3 rares that a normal theme deck would have instead. I still think that the kalos starter set be built like theme decks, considering how Legendary Treasures don't have theme decks, and as such there should be a deck built like a theme deck released in November 2013.

Your thinking about it too much :p

Your thinking about it too much :p

All I hope is this, that TPCi doesn't do something dumb like x2 xy beginning set. It probably might happen, but then again, TPCi making what I think are bad decisions doesn't mean that it won't happen.

Hey look, the Chespin Deck.

Hey look, the Japanese Beginning Set and Set for Girls' two Chespin Half Decks put together.

Oh the horror!!!

This is even worse than the BW beginning set. At least in the BW beginning set, they had 5 different trainers to work with, this one has only 4?

TPCi, the lazy route isn't always the best route.

I have a feeling that this deck will get crushed by a theme deck for sure. Looking at the decklists, these are by far NOT replacements for the missing Legendary Treasures theme decks.

Let's comapre this to theme decks.

24 energy vs 18 energy. I don't see this as a problem, considering theme decks before HS Undaunted had 24 energy anyway, but still.

2 Pokemon lines that could evolve. Theme decks have at least 4 pokemon lines that could evolve, or maybe 3. All I know that it is more than 2.

Pre HS Undaunted theme decks have 3 rare cards, and post HS Undaunted theme decks have 5 rare cards. Usually rare cards are also an ace pokemon that you can use in the deck. How many do these decks have? 2, and them being the same card, and therefore only one ace pokemon?

This deck seriously would have been better if it had some Legendary Treasures cards mixed in. Heck, it could be any card from the BW series. Just because a BW series card is within these decks doesn't make the deck not XY series. The real XY series doesn't start till February anyway. I view these 39 cards as nothing more than a teaser.

I am having the same feeling as I had in late 2008 with Magic the Gathering. You may not know this, but when Shards of Alara came out, WOTC changed the awesome 60 card theme decks, into lame 41 card intro packs. Yeah, I have the same feeling here. The difference is that this kind of deck template isn't permanent, and I hope it isn't permanent, and that the February XY set will have real theme decks again, the ones that are built from a theme deck template, rather than the template used for these decks.

The deluxe edition should cost $12.99, while the standard edition should cost $8.99 MSRP. The way the decks are constructed does not justify the $14.99 deluxe and $11.99 standard price. A theme deck costs $11.99, but yet, this is way less than theme decks.

What TPCi should have done was just release the XY beginning set straight out, with 3 30 card decks, and a DVD, well in our case, the DVD will contain the first 2 XY anime episodes. Then release theme decks for Legendary Treasures. Another thing they could have done is made these like actual theme decks, rather than combining 2 30 card decks, whose decklists are really meant to be built as a 30 card deck.

I was wondering, where is this youtube video?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back