Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Quick 2x BR Report

Bolt

June 2nd - New York, NY

The last couple days before the tourney, I go into my usual "I hate every deck in the format" mode. I get there and hang out with Mikey (Magnechu) and family...we decide to both run Shiftry, citing the great matchups we'll have.

Round 1 - David C. (pikachual) w/ Meganium d/Feraligatr d
Despite all those good matchups, I get paired against this and Mikey goes up against the only Delta in the tourney :/
Loss 0-1

Round 2 - ??? w/ FireWater.dec
I open with nothing but Lickitungs and I can't get a Mentor/Scott/Seedot for my LIFE. I've got about a 20 card hand before I finally see a Scott, then I get set up and go through his deck as he doesn't appear to play many trainers. If he had gotten an evo early, I'd have been done.
Win 1-1

Round 3 - ??? w/ Fighting.dec
He only gets out that hippo thing, and I get T3 Shiftry and KO it.
Win 2-1

Round 4 - ??? w/ Vaporeon/Ray ex d/Dialga/other
I get another subpar setup, and generally avoid playing candy cause of the fully powered Dialga. Eventually, I've spread tons of damage and he makes a couple of misplays.
Win 3-1

I look and I'm the 3-1 not to make it, 5th. I play a couple games with Mikey and Frank D with Destiny and realize that was probably the play.

June 9th - Cedar Grove, NJ

Meet up with MK and the Ortiz bros..this time going with Destiny.

Round 1 - Lawrence F (EternalFire) w/ Infernape/Delcatty
Before the round, I predict a horrible start and a loss...I get exactly that. Latias* opens, he almost T1's me, I start to come back but he eventually candies a billion monkeys and get the level X out to finish Ray ex d off.
Loss 0-1

Round 2 - ??? w/ Flygon and delta pokes
He opens with a Pinsir against my Mew ex. Eventually he sets Snorlax d active and I throw out a Cessationtung, so he throws a Warp Energy on it. By then, I've spread enough damage to OHKO everything, which I do.
Win 1-1

Round 3 - Greg S w/ Delta
I've never played against Delta, and was sure dropping a Lickitung was good cause I wouldn't be seeing it in R-Gon land. I figure it out quick - spread damage on Raichus with Licky, clean up with eggs. A surprise tech at the end gets me ahead of prizes 2-1 on time. :)
Win 2-1

Round 4 - Caleb J w/ Delta
Game runs exactly as the previous one, except I can't find my second Scramble, so I have to spend turns powering up an egg sr instead of something else. In the end it comes down to him Copycatting my 12 card hand to get Raichu and Scramble to KO my Jirachi, or next turn I KO Raichu and KO Eggs the turn after with Mew. He gets the Raichu, Scramble and his last Cessation, so I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
Loss 2-2

Round 5 - Anthony G w/ Camerupt
I Ice Barrier my way through the game after his Magcargo start, and he doesn't realize he can do the same with his Mew ex, so I pick off his Pokemon that aren't named Camerupt to win.
Win 3-2

Of COURSE, I'm once again the 5th seed. Ah well, Destiny was still the play!

Props:
Team R: (Omar 13-1 with Lunasol, Zach 1st and 2nd with Absol, Bianchi being the only one to dethrone Omar, Ryan for...other things ;), the rest of this beautiful gang for being beautiful and pretty.)
Mikey for all the testing and activating Shiftrytwin powers with me
practice with Shaw and MK, go go 2060 administration
Jimmy Ballard for being my wingman
pikachual, he's a great guy
and...Omar Boltaguirre.

Slops:
Profesa_Magma, Magnechu AND Bolt all miss the cut?!?!
Mikey's youngest brother hitting me in the eye with an energy card
Probopass

it was cool watching your games, despite the fact that anthony didn't use sleeves for his game vs you. ugh.

yea he had a broken sleeve and he didnt have any spares so i let him play with it and he took it off after my match ;P you forgor i gave you the omar Boltaguirre. :p Props to finding names with bolt in them.. Boltstoise Bolt shocker

Well, Omar and I were doing that before when we were discussing wedding plans, before I found out he was already with like 5 people :/

ALSO, I forgot to mention that after the swiss rounds I gave the store trade-ins to enter a draft, which I then won.

SUCKAS.

Sucks that you didn't make T4 though, but hey, you did a good job with Destiny.

-Peter

Back