Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rain Offense RMT (First Post)

DeathtoPuppets

I found this site whenever I began to play Pokemon TCG and noticed this thread. Even though I haven't ever been active here I felt like posting my team. I have never really posted in any RMT, but this one seem to be the least threatening.

First off this team is designed to maintain a good offensive momentum (predictions and luck allowing) until I catch my opponent "off balance" and begin to sweep. I'm planning on using this team against some friends who play Pokemon VG (Non competitive), so I'm trying to stay away from legendaries and duplicate items.

Politoed @ Leftovers

Ability: Drizzle

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SAtk

Nature: Bold

- Scald

- Toxic

- Perish Song

- Protect

This little guy here starts the weather. Rain is a great plus to this team, making it easier for Rotom and Scizor to sweep. He also functions as a wall. Scald and toxic work well together, since steel doesn't resist the STAB Scald under rain, and a lot of water types are stalled out by Toxic. Perish song is there to keep foes from setting up on him. Protect is here for a little scouting and stalling. Even though I list him first, I usually don't start with him. I try to weaken his counters and other weather before constantly bringing him in.

Rotom-Wash Form @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp

Nature: Modest

- Volt Switch

- Hydro Pump

- Thunder

- Trick

Possibly the best one on this team, the washing machine does so much. He has near perfect typing and his ability means he only has one weakness (grass). Volt switch keeps my opponent guessing and gives me offensive momentum. Hydro pump is for when you just have to hit something with as much force as possible. Stab Hydro Pump under rain is strong enough but remember that the scarf makes it go first a lot of the time. Trick is there for things like Blissey and Gastrodon, Once they get a Choice Scarf they are absolutely useless while I get their healing item.

Scizor @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician

EVs:252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def

Nature: Adamant

- Bullet Punch

- U-Turn

- Pursuit

- Brick Break

This is the second part to my main offensive core. Scizor and Rotom pair well together, and cover each others weaknesses perfectly. Bullet Punch reaches astronomical power when you consider STAB, Technician, and Choice Band. Not to mention it has priority. U-Turn lets me scout counters and keep offensive momentum. Pursuit is great when I need to predict a swap. And Brick Break is there to round off the coverage.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge

Ability: Rain Dish

EVs:252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Spe

Nature: Bold

- Toxic Spikes

- Rapid Spin

- Scald

- Protect

HAIL COBRA! Sorry, this guy makes me think of Cobra Commander. Anyway, this evil little fellow is exactly how he looks. He prefers to watch his foes suffer and take away their support. Since this is a rain team I gave him Rain Dish (Heals like leftovers in the rain). And his poison typing lets him use black sludge instead of leftovers. That's like having 2 leftovers on a wall. Toxic Spikes are great support set up, Rapid spin lets me knock away opposing hazards, scald is for a STAB with chance of burn, and protect lets me scout while regaining health.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs:252 HP, 88 Def, 168 Sdef

Nature: Relaxed

- Stealth Rock

- Thunder Wave

- Leech Seed

- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is a staple in many rain teams. First off he already has massive defenses, and his typing only gives him 2 weaknesses (Fire x4 and Fighting x2) Rain brings that fire weakness down to x2. This is another supporter. He is there to wall, spread status, and troll water types. Usually I can Thunder Wave on a swap to spread parahax and Stealth Rock is there because...well everyone loves rock support.

Volcarona @ Expert Belt

Ability: Flame Body

EVs:252 Spat, 252 Spe, 4 Sdef

Nature: Modest

- Hurricane

- Fiery Dance

- Bug Buzz

- Quiver Dance

I know what you are thinking, "This is a rain team, but this moth is fire type. Shouldn't the rain mess him up." Wrong. Volcarona gets access to hurricane (Perfect accuracy in rain). Hurricane adds a much needed fighting check (also resists fighting because of bug typing). Quiver Dance...sweet Jesus Quiver Dance. Also this guy lets me destroy opposing steel types with its STAB Fiery Dance (even in rain because of expert belt). The only problem with this guy is that he is destroyed by stealth rock (x2 weakness) so he really appreciates the help of Tentacruel's rapid spin.

Last edited:
I like how you do not lead with Politoad. I like to make sure that the weather is in my favor if I use a weather team. I even keep a Pokemon that can re-activate the weather by having it have the move in the move set for just in case.

I also like how you have a Pokemon on your team that does not benefit from the weather by normal standards of stratagy. I do the same, and like to have a move that does gain the benefit from the weather and is also in my team to keep me out of hard places.

One question though: Perish song or Oncore on the Politoad? You list Oncore but say Parish song.

A decent team I will say, for the not so competative player with a good design in stratagy.

Thanks for clarifying. Perish song can make it so that your opponent can not set up on you. Three turns is a good pressure and can off set a weather team and will allow you to bring in your weather maker on the switch out. Nice strategy there as well.

I stick by what I said about the team being decent. If you play your strategy right and stick with it and do not second guess, you could hang in and win some battles.

If you are looking to make it more competitive, I am sure that you will get advice or suggestions if you want it to up your skill level to a more competitive scene.

Your team looks fun to play, and have fun with it!

Tentacruel is good and all, don't get me wrong. I do think that Kingdra would be a better fit into this team. Swift swim without having to invest as many ev's into the speed stat which could be placed elsewhere with better benefits.

I've tried Kindgra, swift swim is great until I lose the weather war. Even if I did put him on the team I couldn't replace my spinner to do so.

Well, if you like your team and how it runs, then there is nothing to really change as it does look like it will hold it's own in the not-so-competative scene. I think it is perfect for fun, and it is fairly balanced and will catch some off gaurd.

If there are any other ideas, or you are wanting further ideas, let us know. We will see what we can do.

Im coinsidering making an edit to this. Replacing Volcarona with Virizion. The set for Virizion that I'm considering is this.

Virizion@Leftovers

Ability: Justified

Nature: Jolly

252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp

-Substitute

-Swords Dance

-Close Combat

-Leaf Blade

Last edited:
Back