Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rampardos

IronPika

I haven't heard much about him recently... How does he work in the current format? I think it'd be fun t make a Rampardos/Donphan deck. Is this a good idea?

><
Did you just pick two Fighting types?

There is no synergy between Rampardos and Donphan. They are somewhat similar, in that they both have attacks that do 60+ for F, but why would that qualify them for a deck? This is just the same as when people put Machamp and Rampardos together for last States.

You would be far better off maxing out the lines of either Rampardos OR Donphan, and then supporting one or the other with cards that compliment them, not with cards that do almost the same thing. You gain nothing but inconsistency and loose ample deck space squeezing in cards that do almost the same thing.

If you want to play Rampardos, play a speedy deck with damage adding cards (Expert Belt/PlusPower), with cards that will help to negate the after-effects of Head Smash (perhaps Blissey PL/Prime, Nidoqueen, etc.), or cards that drag up KO's (Reversal, Luxray GL, Palkia Lv.X, etc.) If you want to play Donphan, you could take a healing approach as well, or pair it with cards that negate the bench damage (Manectric PL, Nidoqueen RR, Lopunny SV, etc.), or something that would reduce its massive retreat cost (Flygon.)
There are so many creative options out there. Don't play card A with card A'.

><
Did you just pick two Fighting types?

There is no synergy between Rampardos and Donphan. They are somewhat similar, in that they both have attacks that do 60+ for F, but why would that qualify them for a deck? This is just the same as when people put Machamp and Rampardos together for last States.

You would be far better off maxing out the lines of either Rampardos OR Donphan, and then supporting one or the other with cards that compliment them, not with cards that do almost the same thing. You gain nothing but inconsistency and loose ample deck space squeezing in cards that do almost the same thing.

If you want to play Rampardos, play a speedy deck with damage adding cards, with cards that will help to negate the after-effects of Head Smash (perhaps Blissey PL/Prime, Nidoqueen, etc.), or cards that drag up KO's (Reversal, Luxray GL, Palkia Lv.X, etc.) If you want to play Donphan, you could take a healing approach as well, or pair it with cards that negate the bench damage (Manectric PL, Nidoqueen RR, Lopunny SV, etc.), or something that would reduce its massive retreat cost (Flygon.)
There are so many creative options out there. Don't play card A with card A'.

I do agree with this, in the fact that they have no synergy.

But I will say one thing, with Donphan you don't need to worry so much about Spiritomb and Dialga.

Like if you played just Rampardos it would be auto loss. With Donphan you stand a 'chance'.

Back