Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rare Candy Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyogre

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
Rare Candy:
Choose 1 of your Basic Pokemon in play. If you have a Stage 1 or Stage 2 card that evolves from that Pokemon in your hand, put that card on the Basic Pokemon. (This counts as evolving that Pokemon.)

Now my question is this, can this card be used to by-pass the rule that makes you not allowed to evolve a pokemon at a certain time. (i.e. when you first bench the Pokemon, or on the first turn). The reason I bring this up is b/c on Pokemon Breeder it actually says that you can only play it when you can evolve that pokemon, but this card doesn't.

Judging by how Wotc ruled(and I sincerely hope it's wrong in this case), yes, you could evolve first turn(or the turn the pokemon is put into play).

Actually, I would say that since you are taking the evolution from your hand, and since the card says "This counts as evolving that Pokemon", the normal rules of evolution would apply. The WotC rulings that let cards get around the normal rules of evolution centered on the evolution coming from the deck. Therefore I'd say, no first turn evolution or evolving on the same turn the Basic is played.

BDS

I wish Pokemon USA would just put out some rulings(or a rulings FAQ for that matter), I see both sides of this.

I agree with what BDS says, however it could be argued that with the trainer playing the card from your hand it would bypass normal evolution rules.

Why would that be bad? I think it would add a new twist to the game. And besides, its the EON Breeder.

It would be bad that until MF rotates, people could have turn 1 harvest bounty Venusaur with wild growth Meganium(not to mention the hoard of other potential problems).

i agree with pidgeotto trainer, i spent days and traded really good stuff, to get all my 4 RH breeder, and now they aren't worth playing :s, that sucks.

Today at the Sandstorm prelrelease I attended, a head judge was telling me that if anybody gave me trouble with rare candy, to call him over, they had decided that rare candy did bypass the no evo on first turn rule... My two cents ^_^

I really had hoped they would add the sentice "you may only do this if you were able to evolve normaly"

unforantly, since NoA (aparently) does not care about unlimmited play (?Sigh) this is ... broken - its still powerfull in E- on ... sigh...

Jeremy Badeaux pointed out to me that the card says to pick a stage 1 or 2, so unless it is just worded really strange, it most likely is intended to bypass the normal rules of evolution. Otherwise, there would be no reason to reference a stage 1, which you could play anyway. If the ruling goes this way, the card will see LOTS of play, and the game just got a speed fix!

Oh Jimmer .....

BDS

I guess even Modified needed a speed boost. And for Unlimited, maybe Stage 2's will finally come back into use. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

wow, if it is meant to avoid normal evolution rules, this card will be played in every evolution deck, just think of it, a swapert deck, could actually get going with a bit of luck, on turn 1 it could be dealing 50 damage, or actually powering up another poke, such as wailord ex, man, this card has so many possibilities, and is totally broken if it is to be played as it is written

Rare Candy:

Choose 1 of your basic Pokemon in play. If you have a stage 1 or stage 2 card that evolves from that Pokemon in you hand, put that card on the Basic Pokemon. (This counts as evolving that Pokemon)

I would agree with BDS first ruling that you would follow the normal rules of evolution, since the card states This counts as evolving that Pokemon

The reason for the the stage 1 or stage 2 wording is to allow you to evolve Raichu or Raichu EX from a Pichu, and in the future other "Baby" Pokemon into the stage 1 evolution line. Baby Pokemon are no longer Baby Pokemon they are now Basic Pokemon and in the case of Pichu and Raichu you could use Rare Candy to evolve and skip the Pikachu stage.

That is my 2 cents anyway :)

Well, lets look at it this way. The normal rules of evolution are fundemtal rules of the game. How do you get around a fundamental rule of the game? Generally, you explicitly state so on the card. Rare Candy does not say "even if it's your first turn," and "even if you played or evolved the pokemon this turn." Thus, as I see it, you cannot use the card to bypass evolution rules.

As for the inclusion of Stage ones, that may (as triple T stated) be to include "babies" evolving into stage 1s (remember how you can't breeder Pichu into Raichu, maybe you can Rare Candy it).

Last edited:
The "Counts as Evolving" is just a reminder that if the Pokémon has a Special Condition, it would be removed. Just like other means of evolving that break the Evolution rule.

I ruled that Rare Candy, as worded and based upon past rulings, could be first turn as it's a Trainer card just like the Trainer Giovanni, it breaks the normal rules of Evolution.

Except, Giovanni says:

oracle said:
Giovanni
Trainer
Choose 1 of your Pokémon in play with Giovanni in its name. For the rest of your turn, you may evolve that Pokémon even if you just played or evolved it this turn or if this is your first turn. This effect also applies to the Pokémon it evolves into.

Rare Candy lacks this text.

Giovanni doesn't allow you to put a Stage 2 on the Basic. Giovanni allows you put put a Stage 1 on the Basic and/or Stage 2 on the Stage 1. Rare Candy allows a Stage 2 to be put on the basic without the necessary Stage 1. So it breaks the Evolution Rule. Just like Giovanni.

Yoshi is correct the card does not state that you can skip the normal rule of evolution. And the only other trainer card that allowed for 1st turn evolution did specifically state to skip that rule.

I just can't see being able to evolve to a stage 2 on 1st turn, or as soon as a basic is laid down. I'd really like to see an officail ruling from Nintendo. I'd rule as stated above.

Does Eevee have "Can be used first turn" on either the Energy Evolution or the Chain Reaction one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back