Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rating Advice for Deck Help and Strategy?

vegitalian

I was thinking about the possibility of rating comments on decks posted in the 'Deck Help and Strategy' forum. One of the biggest problems with it right now is that there could be one REALLY great piece of advice, and 3-4 awful points. With this, new players are at risk of actually backtracking the quality of their deck, which takes away from the credibility of the 'Deck Help' idea.

Were we able to rate comments (out of 5), people would be able to essentially weed out the bad comments. I know a huge deterrant for me to posting deck help is that even if I provide any sort of advice, there will usually be one or two people that say it's bad and go on to recommend awful cards that ruin the overall consistency of the deck (e.g. adding Roserade UL into a deck with 3-4 Pokemon lines already).

I'd be interested in seeing what everyone's opinion is on this, and if the mods think that it could be a possibility.

Not sure it will solve the problem.

(I agree it IS a problem btw)

The thing is, a lot of the people rating the comments would be the same people who are giving terrible advice in the first place. In other words, I'm not confident that half the posters in that forum would recognise good advice if it came up and bit them.

Two points well-taken. Possibly logos to mark past accomplishments could solve this (e.g. Nationals Winner, Worlds Top 32, etc.)? I honestly have no idea, but it's pretty annoying spending time to give solid advice and getting steamrolled by someone that suggests 'add 4 Potions, 4 Life Herbs, and 4 Poke Balls'. It may seem obvious to ignore this advice, but not for a new player.

You know what would be really great, is if Pokegym could somehow link your premier rating to your account so that people can check any given poster's premier rating.

You know what would be really great, is if Pokegym could somehow link your premier rating to your account so that people can check any given poster's premier rating.
That would be OHMIGAWDAWESOME raised to the power of over 9000.

Even if it couldn't link them, at least have a space in your profile for it like it does for your deck and whatnot.

You know what would be really great, is if PokeGym could somehow link your premier rating to your account so that people can check any given poster's premier rating.

As nice as this would be, I don't think that it would be possible, as the PokeGym and TPCi are two separate companies.

The personal data that would have to be shared between the two sites would cause the Legal Team at TPCi to freak out.

I just don't see that one as workable.

As suggested, you can use your sig for that and update it after every event - whether you participated or not.

I'm going to have to go with prodigal_fanboy and EeveeLover on this one- your sig can work just fine with showing achievements. From looking at my sig, you can see that I've won 2 States and competed in Worlds, which I'm pretty sure is respectable. In addition, if a member gives a bit of bad advice, you could always politely state that you don't think it could work in the deck and explain why.

actually, i would be against putting up rating next to your name as your rating doesnt necesarily say much about your deck making skills or your ability to play the game. Cause then there could be really good advice given by someone who has a low rating also all of the possible trolling that could be done would be ridiculous.

actually, i would be against putting up rating next to your name as your rating doesnt necesarily say much about your deck making skills or your ability to play the game.

If you have a high rating you're generally really good at the game.

If you have a low rating you might still be really good at the game, just lazy.

If you have a low rating you might still be really good at the game, just lazy or play rogue.

Agreed, and fixed. It's not like you can manipulate your rating by faking BRs/City's/S/P/Ts/Regs/Nats (at least not easily).

A lot of good players don't even play until States so for half the year their rating will be 1600.

A lot of not-quite-so-good players get relatively high ratings by going to 157 tiny Autumn BRs, so they will look a lot better than they really are.

Maybe the final rating from the previous year(s) is a better guide than a current rating?

If you have a low rating you might still be really good at the game, just lazy, or a Judge, or an Organizer, or in an OP-depressed area.

Fixed. There are really tons of reasons that good players have bad ratings.

^ Agreed with bullados.

I consider myself a decent player, but my rating's probably terribad because I live in a country with virtually no OP (Scotland).

This could go on for a while since the defenition of good is all relative...Pokegym could also have an offical deck help section where only certain people could post, kind of like a as the master type thing.

there should be applications for helping; Thats it. Any other ideas would seem like the couldn't compete with mine. If a moderator had to go through like 20 applications of helpful people, it would avoid the whole misinformed new player community.

Back