Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ratings Invites???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARMondak

Is it just me, or are you guys concerned that we're through our second week of the season, and we don't know what we're playing for?

Discuss.

How Who What Where Which...

We know How to get the invites
We don't know how many rating invites there will be at worlds.
We know What the invites are for (Worlds!)
We know where the tournaments are held.
we know the K values.

can't think of a which!.

So the only thing we don't know right now is how big Florida 2008 will be.

Well, I am playing to meet new people, keep the friends that I have already made, have fun, and create a positive enviorment for kids. Will I ever win a trip? Maybe one day! Yeah right. but that is the reason I play. I do enjoy the card game and the challenge of tournaments... Yet, to write, "What do I get? How do I get it" For what? "Playing a child's card game?" LOL Is it really all about the ratings?

Well, I am playing to meet new people, keep the friends that I have already made, have fun, and create a positive enviorment for kids. Will I ever win a trip? Maybe one day! Yeah right. but that is the reason I play. I do enjoy the card game and the challenge of tournaments... Yet, to write, "What do I get? How do I get it" For what? "Playing a child's card game?" LOL Is it really all about the ratings?

No, it's not all about the ratings. Many Pokemon players form friendships with people hundreds or thousands of miles away, and Nats/Worlds are the only times they get to hang out with them in person. It doesn't have to be 60-70 paid trips either - I'd be perfectly content with more invites given out, even if I had to pay my own way out there.

I don't think we should interpret what he's saying as literally "what we're playing for."

He's basically just asking why we don't know all of the details yet (which we rightfully should).

Yeah it is interesting to me that we are getting into everyone having at least a couple BRs already and don't know what the points add up to. In a way, it seems like POP admitting that battle roads are actually negligible in your final rating towards invites.

I don't think we should interpret what he's saying as literally "what we're playing for."

He's basically just asking why we don't know all of the details yet (which we rightfully should).

While I agree that it's important for us to know the details, I don't think we have a _right_ to know them yet. Which would you rather have: a more well-thought out plan, to avoid potential problems that takes a little longer to decide or everything handed out right on 9/1 without much consideration or modification form the previous year(s) worth of Organized Play experience?

I'd want the former rather than the latter. I'm not targeting you here Kettlez or ARMondak, but I'm speaking in general when I say that I see more and more of players seemingly demanding or assuming they have to have every single piece of detail right away. Patience is the key, especially if you are waiting for something done right.

JMO,

~Jim

If you read between the lines from the overview, you will notice how they pretty much confirm invites without trips.

I've read through the overview and can't see any indication of invites without travel awards. Only invites are ever mentioned.

I agree with Jim above that its probably in all the players best interests not to rush POP for information.

If you read between the lines from the overview, you will notice how they pretty much confirm invites without trips.

And that's why assumptions like that lead people in the wrong direction: there shouldn't be any reading "between the lines" that's necessary.

In theory I agree with Jim: of course I would like a finalized, hammered-out system. However, you're saying that after the the season has started, not just moments prior to it. Even if these are Battle Roads, and even "if" they are "negligible" to your final ranking, remember:

"Gino Rotondo 1974.27 MA RI US
Brian D. J 1968.33 MA RI US"

Six points decided who went to worlds last year. Six points is roughly what you'd get at a spring Battle Road if you won with a high ranking and an imperfect swiss.

In other words: all the reading between lines and patience in the world could easily result in a whiffed invite if you just "assume" things.

It's not too much to ask: we just want to know right now how things will be (or at the very least how much longer it will take).

I agree that we should know by now how the invites are going to be divided up, especially because Battle Roads have already started. Right now I figure I might as well try to get all the points I can for my rating, so I've been going to all the Battle Roads I can, but if I knew how the invites would be given out then maybe I wouldn't have to go to so many tournament and I could do other things on the weekend.

I agree that we should know by now how the invites are going to be divided up, especially because Battle Roads have already started. Right now I figure I might as well try to get all the points I can for my rating, so I've been going to all the Battle Roads I can, but if I knew how the invites would be given out then maybe I wouldn't have to go to so many tournament and I could do other things on the weekend.

...That right there sends me in a "totally" new direction with this discussion.

Speculation here, but maybe this ambiguity is in favor of POP. If people don't know how things will be, like Plaid said, then they are much more likely to stockpile points earlier on (as opposed to only go to big events).

Put bluntly, it is in POP's best interest to keep us in suspense, especially since many player felt disillusioned about last year's system. POP doesn't want us to have weekends! XD

We need details and we need them NOW!

Waiting is allowing the future to be decided by coin flips and rock paper scissors!

National Championships
Dates: North America: June 2008
International: April–June 2008
K-Value: 44
These events provide players with the opportunity to prove that they are the best player in their country. Prizes vary by country but typically include trophies, scholarships, invites to the World Championships, booster packs, and other cool Pokémon-themed items.

Last Chance Qualifier
Date: August 15, 2008
K-Value: N/A
This event provides players with a final opportunity to gain an invitation to the 2008 World Championships. Beyond the predetermined number of invitations, additional invites may be added to account for unclaimed invites earned via National Championships or Premier Ratings.

The Last Chance Qualifier will be held at the same location as the 2008 World Championships.

Bolded for emphasis.

There is no mention whatsoever of trips in the overview, but there is of invites. That alone allows to think it's fairly certain there will be trip-less invites.

So what youre saying is, even if I qualify thru ratings.. theres a good chance that they wont pay for my trip (as I hear they did in the previous years) ?

So what youre saying is, even if I qualify thru ratings.. theres a good chance that they wont pay for my trip (as I hear they did in the previous years) ?

Rating invites to Worlds has been done twice before. One of them (2004, if I remember correctly) was without any travel award, the most recent (2007) with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back