Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

RayEels deck for Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-4 Eelektrik line (2 Spark, 2 Thunder Wave Tynamo)
2 Rayquaza ex
2 Raikou ex
1 Keldeo ex
2 Zekrom

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Bianca
2 Skyla
3 Ultra Ball
3 Level Ball
4 Catcher
1 Comp. Search
2 Eviolite
1 Random Reciever
2 Switch
1 Super rod
2 Skyarrow Bridge

9 Electric
4 Fire

Strategy: Just charge up with the Eels. Swarm and slam with Rayquaza and snipe with Raikou. Zekrom is for KOing Sigilyph. Keldeo is for when somebody tries to Catcher up your Eels (and Lord knows they will!) as well as a Landorus counter. Skyarrow Bridge makes your Basics more maneuverable.

That said, are there any changes that need to be made to this deck, or not?

- Croatian_Nidoking

Nice list. This is mainly just personal preference, but I would drop a Raikou for an energy search. You will need it if you do not want to have to rely on top decking your fires. And maybe drop a level ball for another Rayquaza or even a revive. I play Eels as well and I really love that card in my list.

^ I dunno. If I were to put Energy Search in , I'd rather drop something else other than Raikou. The reason I go 3-3 on the Balls (pardon the double entendre) is for consistency, and if you drop one, you lose consistency.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Here's the list I've been enjoying for a while...

Pokemon (15):
4-4 Eels
2 RayX
1 Shiny Ray
1 Raikou EX
2 Tornadus EX
1 Keldeo EX

Trainers (33):
4 Level
4 Ultra
4 June
4 N
4 Skyla
4 Catcher
1 Beach
2 Arrow
1 Super Rod
1 Random
1 Comp Search
3 Switch

Energy (12):
8 Electric
4 Fire

I've found that my biggest problem isn't Siggy, which is what Zekrom is there to stop. My biggest problem is Landy, which Zekrom doesn't help against. Tornadus is there as an anti-Landy counter that can still hit in the other matchups. Against Siggy, the lone Ray, with Catchers and the lone Super Rod, is generally enough. Even if they KO it with a Mewtwo, you bring up your RayX to beast the Mewtwo, Super Rod the regular Ray back in, and you're up in the prize matchup. 2 Siggy and two EX will take care of that matchup.

I've also found, with this setup, that I haven't yet run short on energy. It can get a bit tight in the first 2-3 turns, I'll admit. But after that, I'm generally SWIMMING in energy, got more than I could possibly hope to attach.

What I'm trying to do here is to Turn 1 Beach, replace with Arrow, and beast from there. With 8 Search Trainers, I can generally get my hand down to 3-ish before the Beach hits. And with max Skyla, I can probably hit it on turn 1 in most games. BTW, I've never had good results when I dropped down from those Search Trainers. Just doesn't feel fast or consistent enough. Nor am I a fan of Bianca, she always feels like a dead draw compared to Cheren or even Skyla.

Granted, I haven't done a ton of testing with this particular build (my current build doesn't use the Beach, uses a 2nd Raikou instead of the Keldeo, and goes 2-3 Skyla-Cheren), but in theory it should work out quite well.

Here's the list I've been enjoying for a while...

Pokemon (15):
4-4 Eels
2 RayX
1 Shiny Ray
1 Raikou EX
2 Tornadus EX
1 Keldeo EX

Trainers (33):
4 Level
4 Ultra
4 June
4 N
4 Skyla
4 Catcher
1 Beach
2 Arrow
1 Super Rod
1 Random
1 Comp Search
3 Switch

Energy (12):
8 Electric
4 Fire

I've found that my biggest problem isn't Siggy, which is what Zekrom is there to stop. My biggest problem is Landy, which Zekrom doesn't help against. Tornadus is there as an anti-Landy counter that can still hit in the other matchups. Against Siggy, the lone Ray, with Catchers and the lone Super Rod, is generally enough. Even if they KO it with a Mewtwo, you bring up your RayX to beast the Mewtwo, Super Rod the regular Ray back in, and you're up in the prize matchup. 2 Siggy and two EX will take care of that matchup.

I've also found, with this setup, that I haven't yet run short on energy. It can get a bit tight in the first 2-3 turns, I'll admit. But after that, I'm generally SWIMMING in energy, got more than I could possibly hope to attach.

What I'm trying to do here is to Turn 1 Beach, replace with Arrow, and beast from there. With 8 Search Trainers, I can generally get my hand down to 3-ish before the Beach hits. And with max Skyla, I can probably hit it on turn 1 in most games. BTW, I've never had good results when I dropped down from those Search Trainers. Just doesn't feel fast or consistent enough. Nor am I a fan of Bianca, she always feels like a dead draw compared to Cheren or even Skyla.

Granted, I haven't done a ton of testing with this particular build (my current build doesn't use the Beach, uses a 2nd Raikou instead of the Keldeo, and goes 2-3 Skyla-Cheren), but in theory it should work out quite well.
I'm kind of thinking that you should cut a tornadus. Instead, replace some or all of the fires with prism. Two prism and a lightning KO's landorus with Keldeo, so tornadus isn't extremely neccesary. I'm also an advocate of Emolga in this. It's a great starter against landorus, and you can just cut a level ball for it. Otherwise seems like a solid list.

I'm still wondering what to cut the Beach for, since I can't afford one!

ETA: And with 3 Electric Energies on Rayquaza ex, I can nuke Landorus, so I generally don't need the Prisms. The Emolga does sound like a good idea....

- Croatian_Nidoking

Last edited:
I'm kind of thinking that you should cut a tornadus. Instead, replace some or all of the fires with prism. Two prism and a lightning KO's landorus with Keldeo, so tornadus isn't extremely neccesary. I'm also an advocate of Emolga in this. It's a great starter against landorus, and you can just cut a level ball for it. Otherwise seems like a solid list.

Enhanced Hammer exists, and is played in the kinds of stuff that Keldeo is trying to kill.

Emolga is beyond worthless. Once it attacks, it becomes a bench sitter that nobody will kill until the final prize. It takes up valuable bench space that would otherwise be used for Keldeo or something else that would actually be useful. For the T1 advantage, you're trading off the rest of the game, which is not a tradeoff that I particularly like.

As far as the Beach replacement, there isn't any, really. If you don't have a Beach, then take out 2 Skyla and replace with 3 of your choice between Cheren and Bianca (I don't like Bianca for reasons I stated above).

Also, I'd find some way to put an Energy Switch in there. I find that I'm dropping Fire energy on the wrong guys early in the game (like Tornadus), and I need to get it to a more suitable attacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back