Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Recently got an enormous pile of older cards. Values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugget_

1st eds:

Foil here comes team rocket
Foil rocket sneak attack
Dark alakazam foil
Foil dark blastoise
Foil dark arbok
Foil dark charizard
Foil dark dragonite
Foil dark dugtrio
Foil dark gyarados(not promo)
Foil dark hypno
Foil dark machamp
Foil dark golbat
Foil dark vileplume
Foil dark raichu
Foil dark slowbro
Foil dark magnetron

Cards that threw me for a loop.

Gold bordered meowth
Brocks vulpix with a weird hold insignia saying wotc I think

Normal rares

Dark Weezing
Dakr machamp
dakr blastoise
dark vileplume
dark gyarados
dark golbat
dark arbok
dark alakazam
dark dragonite
dark dugtrio
dark charizard
dark magneton
dark slowbro

Promos

Birthday pikachu 24
flying pikachu 25
surfing pikachu 28
team rockets meowth 18
mistys seasra prerelease
dark gyarados prereease
jigglypuff 7
mew 8
pichu 35
computer error 16
igglybuff 36
hitmontop 37
togepi 30
smeargle 32
cool porygon sealed 15
mew 9
pikachu 1
pikachu 26
scizor 33
arcanine 6
marill 29
pikachu 27
moltres 21
zapdos 23
articuno 22
misdreavus 39
psyduck 20
eevee 11

the number to the right is the promo number i think. Majority of them are mint, they've been in hard covers since i got them. I picked it up for a dollar so yeah. lmk

The birthday pikachu is worth about $10 . . . that's prolly the most valuable card, Dark Charizard maybe $8-10 as well.

Looks like you have a complete (or near complete Team Rocket set). I would say about $50-60 for the set. Overall, you got about $100 worth of cards . . . pretty good for a dollar!

***Sorry I didn't see that they were 1st Editions . . . that changes everything. Dark Charizard about $20 . . . the Team Rocket Set $140. Overall, about $180 worth of cards!

Keep in mind that these prices assume that you are willing to work/wait a bit to sell them . . . take detailed photos, create detailed ebay listings, purchase any missing cards to complete your set, etc. Even if you're trying to get rid of them quickly in one lumped lot, you should still get at least $100.

Condition is a factor also. Most people will not pay for a card that is bent in half or peeling at the corners.

About the only way to get the "Premium price" the card must be in MINT condition:
Mint: The card has no visible flaws. Upon close inspection almost every card has a flaw even if it is new.

I have to say that that definition of "Mint" is sort of absurd. "Almost every card has a flaw even if it is new?" That's why PSA differentiates between "Mint" and "Gem mint." Two different things IMO.

I have to say that that definition of "Mint" is sort of absurd. "Almost every card has a flaw even if it is new."? That's why PSA differentiates between "Mint" and "Gem mint." Two different things IMO.

What that means is that it may be off center or any one of a few other minor flaws. Visible scratches is near mint and MANY trade/sell their near mint or less cards and describe them as mint. It's very frustrating at times. That's a big part of the reason I have a link to definitions of condition in my trade thread.

"Mint" is the most loosely used term in collectible vernacular. It's like some just get a picture in their head of what the word means and never bother to look it up to make sure they're correct.

GEM Mint is when no imperfection can be found. None.

And, 'Toed this isn't directed at you. It's just an answer to the question. :thumb:

Last edited:
I have to say that that definition of "Mint" is sort of absurd. "Almost every card has a flaw even if it is new?" That's why PSA differentiates between "Mint" and "Gem mint." Two different things IMO.

PSA 9 and Beckett 9 both allow some wear.
That definition that I used is just simple & to the point. Everyone has their own definition it seems.

Aggreed! :thumb:

What that means is that it may be off center or any one of a few other minor flaws. Visible scratches is near mint and MANY trade/sell their near mint or less cards and describe them as mint. It's very frustrating at times. That's a big part of the reason I have a link to definitions of condition in my trade thread.

"Mint" is the most loosely used term in collectible vernacular. It's like some just get a picture in their head of what the word means and never bother to look it up to make sure they're correct.

And, 'Toed this isn't directed at you. It's just an answer to the question. :thumb:

There is a higher grade then gem mint. At least for beckett. They have a 10 which is Pristine.

There is a higher grade then gem mint. At least for beckett. They have a 10 which is Pristine.

Which is but a game of semantics they use as a marketing ploy to further their business interests and set them apart for the competition by playing on ignorance. A card with no imperfections is completely flawless whether you call it GEM mint or Pristine.

Which is but a game of semantics they use as a marketing ploy to further their business interests and set them apart for the competition by playing on ignorance. A card with no imperfections is completely flawless whether you call it GEM mint or Pristine.

Agreed. GEM Mint is the same as Pristine. They are both achieved with a 10 grade, so they both entitle the card is perfectly flawless.

Garyis2000 - by that logic, a perfect card has never found its way into a PSA case...

I don't know about your PSA 10s but mine are pretty pristine save for a couple that I can nitpick a minor flaw.

When assessing the value of your cards, the first step is to obviously look up the general cards in the collection. Even if the cards in your collection appear to be worthless, there are quite a few valuable misprints that a lot of people often fail to notice.
With that said, if the energy requirement on the non-holographic dark dragonite is off centered, meaning abnormally low, then it can be worth around 100$

http://old.pokemonaaah.net/tcg/errors/dark-dragonite.jpg

Last edited:
And it has nothing to do with the position of the energy. Card #5 is a holo Dragonite. Card #22 is a non holo Dragonite. The error is that it's non holo, not that the energy is wrongly positioned (though that too is an error, just a massively common one).

So- OP, if your non holo Dark dragonite is from Team Rocket and it is #5, then you have a really nice card worth around $100 by itself.

And it has nothing to do with the position of the energy. Card #5 is a holo Dragonite. Card #22 is a non holo Dragonite. The error is that it's non holo, not that the energy is wrongly positioned (though that too is an error, just a massively common one).

So- OP, if your non holo Dark dragonite is from Team Rocket and it is #5, then you have a really nice card worth around $100 by itself.

"Holo Dark Dragonite (1st & Normal Edition): The attack cost symbols for Holo Dark Dragonite are not centered. Also, a number (around 5000 cards) of this card were accidentally printed as non-holographic."

Just basing my information off of Bulbapedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back