Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Reprinted cards not legal for Modified Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown

With the City Championships less than one moth away, I would like to see what cards will be considered illegal due to the new Tournament Rules. I believe that this should be the same everywhere, especially with the rankings providing an invite to worlds.

Listed below are the cards that I beleive fall under the "Significant Changes" clause of the rule (14.1.5). The significant change is in the parentheses.

Trainers:
Mysterious Fossil - Prior to Legend Maker (50 hp vs 10 hp) <-- I Know that this is illegal for sure; the question is about the others
Pokemon Reversal - Prior to Fire Red Leaf Green (Who chooses which pokemon to bring up)
Strength Charm - Prior to Deoxys (before/after W & R)
Steven's Advice - Prior to Dragon Frontiers (if it is reprinted)

Energy:
Darkness Energy - Prior to Ruby Sapphire (before/after W & R)
Metal Energy - Prior to Ruby Sapphire (before/after W & R)
Double Rainbow - Prior to Emerald (before/after W & R)

The reason that I belive these changes to be considered significant is because the text on these cards would be played differently than the text that is legal. For instance, there is a big difference between doing 10 damage before weakness or doing 10 damage after weakness. This creates confusion for younger players which, I believe, brought on this rule. Remember when the Mysterious Fossil which was reprinted with 50 HP, there where already a few people wanting the old 10 HP Mysterious Fossil to be illegal for play because it was confusing to their kids.

What do you think and why?

[edit to add Steven's Advice]

Last edited:
If, in fact, Steven's Advice is reprinted with the proper language in DF, I would ask that the old Steven's not be allowed due to the corrected one being available.

This will be controversal, in that Steven's has been a deck staple, that many people held onto.

If the card is wrong, it should be gone.

Vince

meganium45 said:
If, in fact, Steven's Advice is reprinted with the proper language in DF, I would ask that the old Steven's not be allowed due to the corrected one being available.

This will be controversal, in that Steven's has been a deck staple, that many people held onto.

If the card is wrong, it should be gone.

Vince

That's kinda funny coming from a lawyer. :wink:

Don't forget Pokemon Reversal R/S.

Oh man, if they do say the old Steven's is illegal, Steven's will be HUGELY sought after from players. I'll need 8 myself. Ouch.

I always ask my players to strive hard to get and use the latest versions of legal cards. Nevertheless, the rules currently allow old versions of re-prints, regardless of differences.

I can just see it now. Once POP disallows old versions, the next to go will be non-native language versions. Do we really want that?

Seasoned players and judges aren't going to be confused, just newbies.

One final word. What about errattas like Steven's Advice that were in the current rotation? The rationale you're using to disallow old versions (confusion) could likewise be applied to errattas.

This rule is just fine as it currently exists.

BTW, Steven's Advice is my signature card, so I'll naturally object to any effort to ban it.:biggrin:

I disagree COMPLETELY.

There's nothing wrong with playing old versions that have since been errata'd or changed, you just need to make sure you know the correct current effect. If someone else thinks they knocked out your Mysterious Fossil from the "Fossil" set by doing a mere ten damage to it, tell them they're wrong, and get a judge if need be. It's as simple as that.
Disallowing previous versions of a reprinted card is nothing but a marketing scheme. If you do not allow Mysterious Fossils prior to EX: Legend Maker, people that do not own EX: Legend Maker versions and use "Fossil" versions in their decks will be forced to go buy cards that they shouldn't have to.
It's preposterous. There's nothing wrong with their "Fossil" Mysterious Fossils. They are a reprinted trainer card. Players using them can just bring a Card Dex printout of the Legend Maker ones, to verify that the most recent printing of the card does in fact have 50 HP - basically, just do the same thing you would for a foreign card, but instead of translating from Japanese to English, you're translating from "Fossil" to EX: Legend Maker.

Burnating Torchic had a good idea. Rather than banning reprints of this calibur, just require a side-decked "legal" version of the card. This will save people that can't afford to buy the necessary equipment to fight people in rochester draft for their Steven's Advices.

I think that will be the best solution to avoid confusion with kids. It won't be hard to integrate into current rulings, as many people already play Japanese cards or perhaps have a heavily damaged card.

Well given that they already disallow the Mysteious Fossil, I would say i am not to far off on this.

In looking around, Steven's is the one major playable card that will be affected.

Will be interesting to see the ruling.

Vince

Steve, and the very fact you state that it will be confusing to new players backs up the argument that it should be gone.

Why make the game more confusing than it already is?

BT, it is much more than a "marketing scheme". It is an effort to keep the game as it should be.

If it was a marketing scheme, they would take the japanese position of only allowing native language cards in sets that are currently legal in rotation. PUI has stated they are not going to do that.

It is a decision that, in essence, affects one major cards and a few minor cards. Let the poor HL Steven's go.

I will still always have my signed S. Perucca Steven's as a part of my core collection from HL. The value of that will never go down!

haha Vince.:smile:

Okay, I see everyone's point, tho I still disagree.

If a player shows up at my tournament with a 10HP MF, I try to replace it with a 50HP version. But, if that's not possible, I just proxy it. Obviously, I might not do that at a Championship-series event, if the PTO or PUI tells me otherwise.

If they ever institute a rule that disallows previous versions, I'll just use my descretionary authority to proxy the card. :thumb:

Lets suppose that DF does reprint Steven's Advice.

So I wouldn't be able to use my 2 HL Steven's in a tourney? After not getting any in all of my HL packs and having to trade for the only 2 I had access to, I can't use them in the upcoming season? I don't have much budget for cards, so it's not like I can just go out and buy the DF ones.
I think, as B_T said, that a printout of the Card Dex should be enough.

Do we know excactly what cards come under the Significant Change clause? Or is that up in the air still.

SteveP said:
I always ask my players to strive hard to get and use the latest versions of legal cards. Nevertheless, the rules currently allow old versions of re-prints, regardless of differences.
. . .
Tournament Rules (14.1.5) said:
From time to time, cards printed in previous sets are reprinted in a new set.
In most cases, the mechanics of the card remain unchanged, though the
wording may be slightly altered for clarification. However, in a few rare
cases, the game play text of a card is significantly modified. In these cases
only cards with the most recent game play text may be used.
The rules currently state that if the "game play text of a card is significantly modified . . . only the cards with the most recent game play text may be used."

It goes on to explicitly state that the 10 HP Mysterious Fossil is illegal to play.

Idle speculation.....

time to dig out all those foreign language cards.. yes I know that if you can read french or german the text is wrong but its okay to play with these in english speaking countries. because they wont cause confusion? I'm not too sure how this works as wont a foreign card inherently cause confusion? Oh well I guess I don't understand,....

.... and the incorrect english language cards can be used in France and Germany ??

So you see where I'm going with this yet? No? Well how about I swap my english Steven's for some French or German... that way both of us can continue to use the cards.

It gets even more complicated where the foreign language equivalent is correctly translated and does not need an errata.

end of idle speculation.

NoPoke:

I see where you are going, but there is a difference. Our players are taught to read the cards. When a new player attempts to read a foreign card (s)he will realize that (s)he cannot not read it and will ask for an English translation. Now if the card is English, but an old version, (s)he will assume that the text is correct, and play the card as written. Remember that not all players are here on the 'Gym, nor do all attend a league. We have a few players here that are strictly events.

In my opinion, a new player will be more confused with a card with an old wording, then a card with foreign text.

I dont have a problem with the fossils, as they are usually commons,
but for the rest, I disagree,
The 3 nrgy are rares, some ppl have a hard time getting them.
I also think that not allowing steven's in unnessary, for this reason,
Steven's Advice, was legal for 3 formats, and was printed wrong, however, most of those 3 formats, it was commonly known what it was suppose to be, I havent had any problems with it, and I am sure anyone who hads been playing or will play will completely understand within 1 talking to about it,
JMO,
Drew

If that ruling was made, would Japanese Steven's Advice still be legal, since technical it was printed with the correct text (just in Japanese?)

I would assume "yes"

Steven's advice has another difference though. Errata was actually issued for the card. Players are supposed to keep track of those in the first place.

Are not misprinted cards without a reprint simply errata'd? I would be all for allowing card printed with old or incorrect text as long as a correct "translation" copy is outside the deck. This makes sense as long as japanese or foreign language cards are allowed, because the text on those cards does not matter. The only counter argument is that old text could confuse players because they are in english, and this leaves them open to abuse. To that I say, anyone who would try and abuse older versions of the cards is cheating, just like if they tried to alter the card-dex.

yeah just give it the side card or printed out pokedex, problem solved, with stevens being a staple card, disallowing the older version will turn stevens into rare candy from sandstorm... remember that, 10-15 dollars for an uncommon...never again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back