Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Retreat cost?

Teleri333

Ive been watching lots of videos and reading lots more articles latly and lots of people add the energy needed to retreat even if theres no energy on it, isnt it free to retreat if theres no energy on the pokemon?

Im just confused, because it says one thing in the rulebook but people on the internet all ad the energy before retreating...
(i would have asked at a league but the ones near me have closed down... :mad: )

Nope. You'll always have to pay the retreat cost unless there's an effect on the Pokemon that lowers its retreat cost - see Unown Q, Flygon RR, Metagross UL. Of course there are others that increase a Pokemon's retreat cost.

I think you might be confused because of Unown Q
When you use Unown Q's power, it attaches to a pokemon and lowers its retreat cost by one.

There are also cards like switch, and warp point that allow you to retreat for free. Or Cards like Palkia lv.x

If a Pokemon has a retreat cost and you have no energy on it, you can't retreat.

I think you might be confused because of Unown Q
When you use Unown Q's power, it attaches to a pokemon and lowers its retreat cost by one.

Nope, no confusion on my part. I was just listing cards that lowers the retreat costs of a Pokemon off the top of my head - didn't matter how they did it. Flygon and Metagross just happened to have similar Poke-bodies.

If a Pokemon has a retreat cost and you have no energy on it, you can't retreat.

This might mislead the OP- To be clear, if you have an active Pokemon with zero energy attached to it, you may retreat it during your turn if you attach the correct amount of energy to fulfill the retreat cost without violating the 1 energy attachment per turn rule.
For instance, it is relatively easy to retreat a Pokemon with zero energy attached to it that only requires one energy to retreat. Simply use your attachment for the turn by attaching, then discarding again to retreat.

steps to retreat:

1. check retreat cost
2. check energy
(1 and 2 can be done either 1,2 or 2,1, but it make more sense to do 1,2)
3. retreat (if you dont have enough energy, sorry bro you aint doing it this turn)
4. if you do retreat, discard amount of energy needed.
a rule for retreating : you can only do it once a turn.

Nope, no confusion on my part. I was just listing cards that lowers the retreat costs of a Pokemon off the top of my head - didn't matter how they did it. Flygon and Metagross just happened to have similar Poke-bodies.

I was talking to the OP :thumb:

You do occasionally get a pokemon with a "free flight" poke-body that gives you 0 retreat if no energy is attached. Otherwise, the retreat cost is not a charity. If you can't pay, you can't retreat.

Back