Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Returning from a 1 year Hiatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articuno9

Hey everyone, I've been absent from the Pokemon TCG since the release of Mysterious Treasures, due to work/school/GF/ etc. I have decided to come back to the game, however not as hardcore tournament player, but as Tournament/League help. I want to construct a competitive deck though, so I need to relearn the metagame. I looked in my TCG crate a couple minutes ago and found my MARIO deck. I have no idea if this is still legal to play, or what has been rotated. I'll post the decklist;

Pokemon- 18
4 Riolu DP
3 Lucario DP
1 Lucario Lv.X
3 Machop DP
2 Machoke DP
2 Machamp DP
1 Machamp PK
1 Sableye CG
1 Nosepass HP

Trainers- 28
2 Great Ball
1 Holon Mentor
3 Celio's
3 Rare Candy
2 Prof. Rowan
2 Steven's
1 Copycat
2 Battle Frontier
1 Scott
2 Castaway
2 Cessation Crystal
1 Crystal Shard
4 Plus Power
1 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance

Energy- 14
12 Fighting
2 DRE

Any ideas on how to adapt this deck to the current format would be great. Also, If anyone could mention some recent archetype decks that would be cool too. (How good is Empoleon/Lvl.X at the moment?) As a last note; Money really isn't a factor here.

Thank you all very much
-Articuno9

-Edit: Also, What sets are the best to invest in at the moment? I like the look of the cards in Majestic Dawn, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
It's Hp-on at the moment, so your deck is legal. Current archetype decks are:

G&G: Gardivoir/Gallade. Hit fast as posible with big hits.
Empostar: Empoleon MD/Omastar. Snipe bence then de-evolve with omastar to K.O. most of there bench.
Garchomp: OHKO As much as posible, with techs for restore.
Inferncatty: Infernape/delcatty/delcatty ex: Very fast going for OHKO's.
Beedrill: Very fast, with a posiable 120 for 1 energy.
Banette: The best G&G counter, usualy with a T2 80. Not very good against other decks, though.
Magmortar: Was good, but has died down due to Empoleon.

Your list looks good. I don't know much about mario, though, so I can't help much.

Also, Secret wonders has the best cards, and majetic dawn is also good, but great encounters only has a few good cards.(Including the staple of every deck, claydol.)

Welcome back! The best Archetypes are, like Garch said:

PLOX (Gardevoir/Gallade): 4 Team Galactic's Wagers are needed. We Wager them, reducing their hand size. If I lose, I use Cosmic Power, restoring my hand to a full 6 cards, and getting rid of junk. Then, I Psychic Lock them, or PLOX them, doing 60 damage and stopping Powers. Gallade, Gardevoir's partner, goes for big KOs. It is the advanced form of G&G, which dominated Cities, up until States, where Team R invented PLOX. G&G used to use Gallade as the main attacker, doing tons of damage, and Sonic Bladeing sometimes. Then, Gardevoir Lv.X would come up and start Bringing Down.

Empoleon (varients): The first varient of Empoleon (Majestic Dawn) is just Empoleon with Claydol and Phione (Majestic Dawn). Here, start with Phione and start Evolution Wishing your Pokemon, Evolving them. Then, bring up Empoleon, and start using Dual Splash, spreading damage. When you want to go for a big KO, use Surf Together. There's also Empostar, which is the deck Garch explained about, but it spreads with Empoleon, then Omastar Majestic Dawn comes and Devolves everything. There are more varients, like Empoleon/Bronzong and Empoleon/Glaceon Lv.X, but those two are the main ones.

Eeveelutions (varients): My favourite deck, other then possibly Moth Balls. The first varient of Eeveelutions is, well, Eeveelutions. It has Leafeon Lv.X/Glaceon Lv.X/Espeon/Umbreon. I play this deck, along with Moth Balls and PLOX. So, Glaceon Lv.X has Power Lock, which is great. Almost as good as Gardevoir. Anyway, Glaceon Lv.X Power Locks while spreading, and Leafeon Lv.X hits for OHKOs late game. Espeon adds 20 HP to all your Eevees/Eeveelutions, so that's helpful. Umbreon gives free Retreat and no Weakness, which is helpful too. Leafeon Lv.X attaches an extra Energy from your hand per turn, which is great, and combos very well with it's attack. The other main varient of Eeveelutions is Sceppyeon. Leafeon Lv.X/Sceptile. Sceptile makes all Grass Energy count as 2 Energy, and Energy Forcing (Leafeon Lv.X's Power) attaches an extra Energy per turn, so that means adding 40 damage to Verdant Dance, Leafeon Lv.X's attack, is possible every turn.

Garchomp (Garchomp): Well, focus on Dragon Fang's 110 damage if Garchomp has an Energy attached to that's the same type as the Defending Pokemon. We do this, we 2HKO everything. And we OHKO some things too. Garchomp Lv.X just adds so much speed to this deck, as soon as one of your Garchomps goes down, you can bring up Chomp Lv.X, Restore that Garchomp back fully powered. Also, there's random Stage 2 techs with no Basics (like a 0-0-1 Gallade line), for Garchomp to Restore, and then they hit for alot.

Rockband (Beedrill): Focus on getting multiple Bees up, then do 90-120 damage for 1 Energy. Really quite simple. Techs like Dusknoir can be added. swarm with Beedrills. Take advantage of the low Energy cost and attach as one Energy to each of your Bees. You can 2HKO alot for just one Energy. Which is pretty good. That's all there really is to say about Rockband, other then it won a Regionals.

T2 Banette (Banette): T2 80 damage, or possible T2 160 against PLOX, which it was made to counter. Unfortunatly, not too good against other decks. Empoleon overpowers it with Surf Together OHKOing, and Dual Splash easily KOs Benched Shuppets. Garchomp swarm is just too much, even with Colorless resistance. Dragon Fang is still OHKOing with a Dark Energy attached. Glaceon Lv.X, with 2 heads, KOs a Benched Shuppet with Avalanche and an Active Banette. Leafeon Lv.X OHKOs easily. Espeon and Umbreon just add to that. Rockband just OHKOs for one Energy.

Those are the main decks right now, in order from best to worst.

Also, I'd recomend getting Great Encounters (Rare Candy, Pachirisu, and Claydol), Majestic Dawn (Eeveelutions stuff, Empoleon, Garchomp), and Secret Wonders (PLOX, T2 Banette, Rockband).

I don't know much about Mario either, but my list would probally look something like this:

Pokemon (16):

Lucario Lv.X x1
Lucario x3
Riolu x4
Machamp DP x2
Machamp PK x1
Machoke x2
Machop x3

Trainers (30):

Ceilio's Network x4
Roseanne's Research x4
Professor Oak's Visit x4
Cessation Crystal x4
Plus Power x4
Crystal Beach x3
Rare Candy x3
Warp Point x2
Night Maintenance x2

Energy (14):

Call Energy x4
Fighting Energy x10

Lol Great to see Infernacatty still up to its old tricks. I'll prolly try to building some kind of empoleon variant. Thanks for ranking those sets, and a big high 5 for those archetype overviews!

A question, is Empoleon Lv. X used in the Empoleon variants? I seem to have 2 sitting around and was wondering if i could do anything with 'em.

Last edited:
Empoleon LV.X is used to snipe Claydols on the bench and for his Poke-Power. After you use
Omastar, play TGW and then use his power leaving your opponent with one or four cards in addition
to shuffling their evolutions. Also Beedrill/Speedrill/Rock Band is from Great Encounters, not Secret Wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back