Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Road to States: BAR Counter - Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilhung53

How could I forget this deck? It is the deck to love or hate - Muk ex and Umbreon (Skyridge). When Muk ex is the Active Pokemon, it shuts down all Pokemon Powers and Bodies. Umbreon forbids the use of Pokemon Powers in the Bench. Very dangerous indeed against all Blaziken decks.

Shutdown v. 2.0
Pokemon (19):
4x Grimer AQ
4x Muk ex
4x Eevee (SS)
4x Umbreon (SK)
3x Dunsparce (SS)

Trainers (25):
4x Prof. Oak's Research
2x Prof. Birch
4x Desert Shaman
4x Potion
4x Energy Removal 2
1x Town Volunteers
2x Low Pressure System
2x Oracle
2x Switch

Energies (16):
10x Grass Energy
4x Darkness Energy
2x Multi energy

Strategy: Simple - get out Grimer as Active ASAP, evolve to Muk ex to shutdown stuff. Use Desert Shaman right after someone used Oracle.

Please offer any suggestions and comments. Thanks.

Last edited:
wilhung53 said:
How could I forget this deck? It is the deck to love or hate - Muk ex and Umbreon (Skyridge). When Muk ex is the Active Pokemon, it shuts down all Pokemon Powers and Bodies. Umbreon forbids the use of Pokemon Powers in the Bench. Very dangerous indeed against all Blaziken decks.

Shutdown v. 2.0
Pokemon (19):
4x Grimer AQ
4x Muk ex
4x Eevee (SS)
4x Umbreon (SK)
3x Dunsparce (SS)

Trainers (25):
4x Prof. Oak's Research
2x Prof. Birch
4x Desert Shaman
4x Potion
4x Energy Removal 2
1x Town Volunteers
2x Low Pressure System
2x Oracle
2x Switch

Energies (16):
10x Grass Energy
4x Darkness Energy
2x Multi energy

Strategy: Simple - get out Grimer as Active ASAP, evolve to Muk ex to shutdown stuff. Use Desert Shaman right after someone used Oracle.

Please offer any suggestions and comments. Thanks.

wow is this will from american idle? if it is, hows it going man! i knew you from when you used to post on pojo, nice to see that your doing so well! i was watching that ep (along with like 20 million other people) and was like......HEY i know that guy.....i met him at the STS lol, all my freinds thougth i was full of it LOL i didnt think you were that bad (but funny i have to admit) simmon cal is just and A@@ (but....thats his job) so i hope to see you at worlds and i hope i get another chance to play against you, now that your such a "big" shot. Its cool to see that you openinly admit to being as huge of a pokemon fan as you are, maybe you could promote pokemon some how, with some of your tv time? just a thought anyway....singing might be your speciality, but deck fixing is mine :D so good luck! and onto the deck

pokemon look good, i'd add 2 wobbey just for TecH.

trainers....OMG where is the chrystal shard
defently need them, to counter all the darn blaze thats out there right now.
so i say add 2

i like the desert shamman idea, way to mess with your oponent :D
the NRG removel 2 is another interesting idea, and not one you see alot of people taking risks
with these days. HOWEVER with the new ruleing on pokemon reversal, i say drop all4 of the NRGR2 and add in 4 pokemon reversel

the NRGR2 wont do much good against blaze varents, as they can just recharge them (it might atucaly help them in some situations) but a well place pokemon reversal could make one of there bench siters come out and have to sit there and take it from muk

so a finnal deck list might look like this

Pokemon (21): 13 basics
4x Grimer AQ
4x Muk ex
4x Eevee (SS)
4x Umbreon (SK)
3x Dunsparce (SS)
2x wobbefet

Trainers (23): (11 suporters)
4x Prof. Oak's Research
4x Desert Shaman
4x Potion
4x Pokemon Reversel
1x Town Volunteers
2x Low Pressure System
2x Oracle
2x Switch

Energies (16):
8x Grass Energy
4x Darkness Energy
4x Multi energy

other things to consider are

weekness gard (helps against any gardy)
extra dunsparce
moo moo over potion
hyper potion (i love this card)
fisherman (one lone fisherman ROCKS...trust the card rules!)

also MAKE SURE you have atleast 2 muk out at all times and ready to go, incase they warp point you

good luck with everything man
-joe

Last edited:
Take everything from GodTrainer's fix and add mine, he did a really good job summing it up. Guess us deck mechs think the same o_O

My fix: Id kill the potions and townV and add +3 tv reporter/+2 warp point

The potions arent all that useful - expecially when LPS gives you the +10 hp you need to withstand blaze ex's atk already. Ive never been a fan of townV in the first place.. expecially when this deck doesnt discard at all. TV reporter is for added speed OBV, which allows you to gain card advantage; similar to blaziken decks (trainer wise) w/o the delcatty power. Lastly, the warp point is there b/c you know damn right you'll be powering muk on your bench.

Good luck with this one Will.

Last edited:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah, bad use of shaman there. If you are going to use shaman, you need to use cards like birch, tv reporter and bill maintenance that only draw cards for you. That way, your shamans stay in your hand and you can precisely use it when your opponent uses an oracle. Any other way, and the shamans are so unefficient.

And I do agree, potions are becoming less and less useful. The game is more or less OHKO now-a-days. But they do help with gardevior's power.

Last edited:
I Totally have to agree with Prime on this one. Drop the oak's researches. Put in 1 more t.v. reporter, 2 birchs, and a Pokemon Nurse. (Very good with Muk ex)

Last edited:
Will...what happened to your BAR deck?!! You did well with it in San Diego. Don't panic now, if you're going to states it's really too late to start working with a new deck. Ashley and I tried but her Gardevoir deck still did better.
Will we see you Saturday?
---Nicole
WeileMom

Last edited:
Prime said:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah, bad use of shaman there. If you are going to use shaman, you need to use cards like birch, tv reporter and bill maintenance that only draw cards for you. That way, your shamans stay in your hand and you can precisely use it when your opponent uses an oracle. Any other way, and the shamans are so unefficient.

OBV thats why I have TV reporter in there -_-

I've been playtesting all these different decks. I need to choose the deck based on the metagame. This deck in particular will be very successful if there's a lot of Blaziken decks.

wilhung53 said:
I've been playtesting all these different decks. I need to choose the deck based on the metagame. This deck in particular will be very successful if there's a lot of Blaziken decks.

From what I've seen though there isn't much of a metagame, if I'm understanding metagame as the predominant deck used in an area- which would be California in this case.
Since most of the winning decks in California have been posted before, does anyone have a list of the decks in the 15+ age group?
Nevada States was won by a Flygon deck, which I'm sure will be there Saturday. It's run by an intelligent player, not just on power.
San Diego CC was won by a Gardevoir deck.
Diamond Bar- again Flygon, I think?
Cupertino- Blaze/Ray
Riverside- Gardevoir
El Segundo- ?
Fountain Valley-?
Bakersfield-?

I think I'm missing another CC. Anyway, my point is that even though a lot of people talk about BEX on this board I don't know if you're going to see the better players with it at states.
Good luck!
---Nicole
WeileMom

this is very similar to my karma deck which is based around disruption. What I found is that while I thought having 4 desert shamans in the deck would be good, it turns out that I needed them alot less. so you may want to considder cutting those down to 2 instead of 4, also, if you're going to be using oracle yourself I'd go with tv reporter or juggler.

I also wouldnt worry about using crystal shards, realistically, people only have those in to take care of raquaza, and you're already combating raquaza by shutting down bench powers.

-Cattdreams

I posted this awhile back and called it Mubreon. The deck is ok but it loses to random stuff. Flygon and amphy crush it as well. It does good against the magma and aqua decks though. Here's what I am playing
Shutdown v. 2.0
Pokemon (20):
4x Grimer AQ
4x Muk ex
4x Eevee (SS)
3x Umbreon (SK)
1x espy
4x Dunsparce (SS)

Trainers (23):
4x Prof. Oak's Research
3x Prof. Birch
4x Desert Shaman
3x fast ball
1x Town Volunteers
2x Low Pressure System
4x pokemon reversal
2x Switch

Energies (17):
10x Grass Energy
4x Darkness Energy
3x Multi energy

Hi,
We don't have exactly the same cards but I just played a deck similar to the one Psychodad posted and I finally beat Ashley's Gardevoir deck! First time ever since some players have helped her work on it.
Even though I won, I did lose one too. I definitely can see where this would frustrate a lot of decks, especially the ones that rely on Pokepowers and bodies. My pokemon list was:
4 Grimer
2 Muk EX
4 Eevee
2 Umbreon SK
2 Espeon
2 Wobbuffet
2 Dunsparce

I don't have enough of the Muk to really hurt, but against Ashley's deck the Umbreon was a killer. It took her forever to get set up since she couldn't use the powers. In fact, she never got more that one Gardy EX out and I knocked it out in two hits with Muk. I didn't have much fun though. It took a long time and I hated frustrating her like that! It's not that I mind beating her, it's just the way I beat her by stalling her deck seemed so underhanded.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know. I didn't post the trainers because they weren't very good. Ashley has the good trainers in her deck so I get the leftovers.
One thing that I did like was I have 3 retro energy in the deck. At one point I had Umbreon up and realized that if I retro energied it I could knock out her Gardevoir in one hit by devolving and evolving into Espeon.
---Nicole
WeileMom
PS for those of you who don't believe, imagine not being able to play the powers of Ampharos, Magneton, Delcatty, Swampert, etc. It hurts!

this deck is ok, but doesnt muk already shut down all powers?
:lightning :lightning :fire:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back