Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rockville, MD States Report

SuperWooper

For those of you who so foolishly clicked on this link expecting another 7000 word report, think again! This is gonna be a short 'un (by my standards).

Tuesday through Friday, I'm sick. I come home from school on Tuesday with a fever of 101 something, so I go to the doctor on Wednesday, and they don't know what it is I have, aside from that I have the symptoms of a person with strep but it isn't strep. Helpful, no? So I get my jillion pill bottles and go home for three days of sitting in bed and reading and playing DS and such. On Saturday, there's a Pokemon tournament in Woodbridge, Virginia which I have to miss because I'm still contagious, which Gymbo ends up winning with his out-there Flygon ex contraption, so I'm happy because that could mess my deck up, should I go on Sunday. So my fever goes down, making me okay to go (I'll still feel bad, but I won't give anybody what I've got), and I receive my cards in the mail right on time. Hoorah! I throw together Metro and leave the next morning with Daniel, Devon and Ryan.

We arrive at Dream Wizards at 10 o'clock-ish. They don't open until 10:30, so there is much standing around and waiting. When they do open up, I race inside, register, and fill out my decklist superfast, then shuffle really well. I see a bunch of cool people, like Pramawaffle, the Andersons, and Gymbo, who I finally meet properly. Oh yeah, and Luke is there, too. There are loads of people in purple shirts with yellow writing which features an aardvark on the back and say Aardvark's Gym, which is apparantely an ice cream store/video rental place/Pokemon league. Impressive. A lot of them seem fairly ehh, but a few are playing recognizable stuff. And of course, Eric Brooks shows up, back from the dead, to win ANOTHER event after a thousand year break.

So we sit down across from our Round 1 partners. I'm playing iceman, whose real name I don't catch, as there is a software problem and we break to lunch early. I down some painkiller with some Orange drink stuff they had in the cooler at the game store and hop back into the car and Mr. Conn drives us to Wendys, where I order just a Double because my stomach is feeling kind of queasy. We go back, I shuffle some more, and the computer has finally gotten its act together. So my Round 1 partner is...

Round One
Denise Barlock with Politoed ex

She wins the flip and starts with three fossils, and I'm like, Cool, Politoed. I start strong, with a Beldum, PETM, Electrode and 2 energy. I just need the Candy, but I don't get it. She benches a Dunsparce and Mentors for three Poliwags, benches one, and attaches. I still don't get the Candy, and still no supporter. So I evolve to Metang, evolve to Trode, attach the energy and hit the fossil. Next turn, she evolves into Poliwhirl and attaches another energy, plays Cursed Stone and passes. I draw into TVR, use it, get Metagross, discard lightning, attach Metal, Delta Control for Ruins, bomb Trode, POW the Poliwhirl, take a prize. I have the game in control until she locks a Cursed Stone on me, but by this time I've taken out 3 of her Poliwags and the only Pokemon she has in play is Dunsparce. She keeps confusing me and I keep retreating and killing her fossils, but Metagross has a steep 3 energy retreat cost. I already have all the energy attached from a huge second Bomb, but I'm unable to find the Heal energy, so I have to flip for confusion to KO her last in-play Pokemon, Dunsparce. I roll and get two dots. Donk.

1-0

Round Two
Ryan Webb with BSL

I get set up quickly, with the T2 Metagross and all. His Jirachi Mentor setup isn't fast enough, because he has no energy to start his Onix on, and I kill the Jirachi, bomb Electrode, POW Pidgeot, but he benches another Pidgey and evolves that to Pidgeot. He puts up another Jirachi and Wishing Stars, and I kill that, and he's forced to bring up Pidgeot but doesn't have anything he can retreat to without crippling his Blastoise/Steelix eventual setup. I take some time to get energy in my discard and build another Metagross. I kill the Jirachi, making it 2-4, me. With 2 Delta Searches per turn, I have the game in control. He brings up Steelix, but I bomb Electrode with like eight or nine energy and wreck his Steelix. GG.

2-0

More painkillers. Sweet. I get another Orange thing and down some Tylenol, and walk around and see how everybody is doing. My little brother is down in the dumps at 0-2 with a random Ludicargo I built for him since he's just back into the game, but everybody else in our party (except Daniel) is 2-0. Jon, Mike Barlock, Brooks, and some others are 2-0 as well. So I think I'll be playing a big shot, but I end up playing a guy I met at the Severn City Championship a couple months ago.

Round Three
Philip Clifford with Gardevoir DS/Metagross DX

His deck is a little random. I feel confident, but his deck sets up quickly; he gets the T2 Pidgeot and T2 Metagross, Gardevoir a few turns later. My Beldum is Calling for Family, but no evolutions seem to want to come to his rescue. So I pluck away at Ralts for 20 for a while and finally topdeck an Admin. To improve my draw, I bench a Voltorb - a mistake. Gardevoir DS now does 90 damage, and I finally get out a Metagross, but it has 10 damage on it somehow and he does 90 to KO - I have no Metal because of my disgusting setup. So after that he beats on a few basics and I finally lose. =(

2-1

Ehh. Nothing eventful happens here, and most people skip this stuff anyway. ;/ Oh well, whatever. Mason wins, and Devon and Ryan are both 3-0. Daniel is 2-1, like me. So we're not doing horribly. It's announced that we're going to have 6 rounds, and that means that it's probably going to be single elimination, since the store closes pretty early. At the Gym Challenge at this place last year, it was single elimination. That was nice. My Ludi versus his Zapdos. Guess who won. =/ So anyway, pairings are up.

Round Four
Umm... I forget. I'm sooo sorry <3

I win. It probably wasn't that thrilling, because I usually remember this stuff. One thing I do remember was that the guy from Round Two and another Aardvark guy are playing, and the other guy is playing Rocket's Hitmonchan/Piloswine/Other stuff. >< Make of that what you will.

3-1

Round Five
Jordan Hill with Rock-Lock

Rock-Lock? Dude. =( Anyway, he gets the Jirachi Mentor dealie, and I'm totally set up. I have the Electrode blown up before Pidgey even hits the board. I have Metagross Delta Searching x2 by Turn 3. I have...

I lied. I start with a lot of basics and no draw. I TD an Admin, but I draw 3 Candy and 3 more Admin. I Admin and draw the same basics. I bench a couple and Sand Damage kills them eventually. I never get an evolution, but I do get a Voltorb that can hit for 20.

3-2

11-14 and 10- cut to Top 8 and Top 4 respectively. Devon and Ryan make it, respectively. Mason doesn't - he ends up 3-2 at 16th or something because his wins were against noobs (resistance and such). ;/ Soo yeah. I have to win to get in. And what does Wooper do in the clutch? He delivers, of course! So let's see.

Round Six
Angelina W. (I think?) with Dragtrode

I open up my hand and nearly vomit. I have got to shuffle better, honestly. I have nothing. She takes 3 prizes on her own until I finally get a Metagross on a Candy, which she ATM Rocks. =( I build back through a Metang, because too many of her Darkness are in the discard for her to do 80. Now I can use my POW Hand Extension manually. So I do, and get her Pidgeot, then a Dark Electrode. Next I bomb Trode, Admin her to 1, and kill Dark Dragonite. She brings up her tech Togepi (TOGEPI!) and tries to Mini-Metronome me (I assume she was using Togetic) to win, because my Metagross is slightly damaged, but flips tails, and I kill that to make it 2-1, her. She plays Plusle and starts to Positive Spark, which will eventually kill me, but she also misplays and benches Rocket's Sneasel ex, which has 90 HP. How convenient, a multiple of 30+20! <3 I POW it and win the game. GG.

4-2

After much waiting, standings are up, and they look like this:

1 Jon Anderson w/ Rogue Surprise
2 Eric Brooks w/ Metro
3 Mike Barlock w/ BSL
4 Ryan Webb w/ BSL
5 Brett M w/ ZRE
6 Me w/ Metro
7 Jordan Hill w/ Rock-Lock
8 Tara w/ Lunatone/Solrock

Luke gets ninth. Dan gets, shockingly, unlucky thirteenth, as his resistance is very poor, even though he finished with the same record as me. Top 16 could have been justified, as 14-15 people were 4-2 and up, but I think Top 8 was the right call. We end up doing single elimination. Guess what my opening hand looked like.

Top 8
Mike Barlock with BSL

Voltorb, Voltorb, Ruins, PETM, POW, Candy, Candy. I lost quickly. He got the Jirachi/Mentor setup. Three of my Beldum are prized. I finally manage to bomb an Electrode ex and set up a Voltorb, then evolve into Electrode ex and POW Pidgeot, but he Candies back into another one. I can't take down his Steelix like I did in Round 2, and I lose badly. I take my four packs and watch for a while as the matches finish out. Across the table, I hear Brooks say, "Girafarig stops Jirachi? Oops. I didn't stop like ten Wishing Stars today." =D

Devon loses in Top 4 (11-14) to Hunter from NC, who was playing Jim's deck, on a misplay, and Ryan loses in Top 4 (10-) on a Pidgey start with no evolutions the whole game. He's really upset because he got 2nd in Woodbridge and 3rd in Rockville, but no first. It's okay though, we took home our fair share of loot. Here's how the Top 4 looks, for those interested:

Jon w/ Rogue
Ryan w/ BSL
Mike w/ BSL
Jordan w/ Rock-Lock

After that, all I know is that Mike won it all with Blastoise. Not sure who won Jon and Ryan's game, but it could have gone either way, thanks to Ryan's odd, but surprisingly well-equipped for that matchup, list.

Props to early lunch breaks.
Props to the genius behind Metro, Plaidlesspez.
Props to painkillers.
Props to Mr. Conn for driving.
Props to Ryan's amazing tech! =O
Props to Jon's cool deck.
Slops to single elimination T8s.
Slops to feeling like crap all day.
Slops to "meh" starts.
Slops to you if you ask for a list; mine wasn't that great anyway, evidently. ;D
Slops to me for forgetting anything that deserves one o' these.

Short enough?

Last edited:
SuperWooper said:
So we sit down across from our Round 1 partners. I'm playing iceman, whose real name I don't catch, as there is a software problem and we break to lunch early.
It was a shame to see 80 people get out of their seats at once instead of just four.
TOM won't allow individual matches to be re-paired; so if one match is paired incorrectly, the entire round has to be re-paired. I posted a complaint about this on the Professor forum and the webmaster stated that the software is the way it is because of "policy" (policies he can't change).

So, expect problems like this in the future unless POP can change its policy.
There are loads of people in purple shirts with yellow writing which features an aardvark on the back and say Aardvark's Gym, which is apparantely an ice cream store/video rental place/Pokemon league.
Aardvark Video's, Comics, and Games is a store in Lusby. Aardvark Gym is the name of the league there.

I throw together Metro
You just "throw together" a deck that got into the T8?:tongue: :tongue: Good Job.

Last edited:
Yes, I was very suprised that my tech card became so handy. It single handily won me 3 games, including my semi-final match up. Yay for tech! :)

blah

Since Ryan (Griff) and Nick(ninetales1234) didn't fill anyone in about the rsults of the top 8 15+, I will:

The top two were Ryan Webb and This Mike guy. Mike won.

Ryan's tech was what I would call a happy accident. A player at Aardvarks was coming up with an effective counter to BLS and came up with a fossil kind of deck. It handled pretty well against BLS, so Ryan was trying to come up with a counter to it (He played BLS too). I suggested to Ryan that he tech in one ATM ICE (The ice generator attack discards all of your opponent's trainers in play) as a counter to this kind of deck. Ryan took my advice and ran one.

Loh and behold, Ryan had to play a fossil deck that only ran fossils and Shedninja's as pokemon. Once Ryan got all of the Shedninjas and nincadas off of the feild, he was able to ATM ice for game.

I also think that it is notable to say that Aardvark's had a player in each final matchup of every age catergory in MD states, So I guess that we could have done worse.

Round Two
Ryan Webb with BSL

I get set up quickly, with the T2 Metagross and all. His Jirachi Mentor setup isn't fast enough, because he has no energy to start his Onix on, and I kill the Jirachi, bomb Electrode, POW Pidgeot, but he benches another Pidgey and evolves that to Pidgeot, so I bomb another Electrode even though I'm unprepared and stomp that. He puts up another Jirachi and Wishing Stars, and I take some time to get energy in my discard and build another Metagross. I kill the Jirachi, making it 2-4, me. With 2 Delta Searches per turn, I have the game in control. He brings up Steelix, but I bomb Electrode with like eight or nine energy and wreck his Steelix. GG.

3 times you bombed?! cheater! lol jk, GJ on doing well and being sick at the same time.

Pablo said:
3 times you bombed?! cheater! lol jk, GJ on doing well and being sick at the same time.

Oops. I'm dumb. Yeah, it was a miracle I even T8'd in my condition. =( I'll edit that now...

States

Hiya Spence!

Sorry our game couldn't have been a bit closer. :rolleyes:

But I really have to admit you looked so drugged up and out of it on Sunday. We thought you were stoned:biggrin:.

Hope you feel better soon!
-Jordan

Back