Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

rokman in southern plains 2012

rokman

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
Not going to get into major details and long drawn out stuff like my reports from the last couple years...

My CMT list that Curran H. also played in his regionals (ended up top 8)

4 Celebi
3 Mewtwo EX
2 Tornadus
1 Regigigas EX
1 Shaymin
1 Smeargle

4 Juniper
4 Pont
3 N
1 Seeker
4 Junk Arm
4 Dual ball
3 catcher
3 switch
2 eviolite
2 pluspower
2 pokegear
2 skyarrow
1 energy retreival

4 DCE
9 Grass

Zekeels List I gave Adam G. (the guy who won the whole thing) the night before the tournament

2 Thundurus
3-3 Eelektrik
3 Mewtwo EX
2 Zekrom
1 Smeargle

4 Juniper
4 pont
3 N
4 Dual ball
4 junk arm
3 catcher
2 switch
2 level ball
2 eviolite
2 pluspower
2 pokegear
1 super rod

4 DCE
9 lightning

Adam was not able to get a 3rd Mewtwo, so he played a Shaymin in it's spot.

Round 1 - Tracy H. (Quad Terrakion)

- I open Celebi Active with Gigas on the bench. She flips over a Terrakion and my heart sinks! She goes first, Ponts into no basics, plays a fighting down, and passes.

- My first turn is Forest Breath a grass down, N into Mewtwo, DCE, Eviolite, then hitting her Terrakion for 60.

- She lost removers the DCE and passes. Looks like the N completely shut her down.

- Juniper into another DCE and a Pluspower to finish her lone Terrakion off.

1-0

Round 2 - Brit P./Mune (CMT)

- I go first, I find out my second Tornadus and Regigigas EX is prized. This means I only have 1 Tornadus and 3 Mewtwo EX as attackers. I certainly don't want to start the Mewtwo war early, so I have to get as much mileage out of 1 Tornadus as possible. Hoping to draw into attackers.

- I get a turn 1 Hurricane on his active Gigas's face. We go back and forth for awhile, thankfully he is catchering around my only tornadus so, I'm able to take a lot of prizes with it.

- Eventually his Gigas goes down, putting us both at 3 prizes.

- He N's us both to 3. I rip a double colorless and grass to get a KO on a Celebi, leaving me at 2 prizes remaining.

- Since I have 2 prizes left, I'm able to safely start the mewtwo war, only needing 1 response KO on his Mewtwo to win the game.

- Time is called and I notice Brit has played 3 Ns. So once the Mewtwo war starts, I won't have to worry about N. My hand is stellar, Switch, Grass, Junk Arm, Dual ball, 2 skyarrow. He pretty much has to N here or it's game. He only runs 3, gg.

2-0

Round 3 - Jorel K./jkwarrior (Zekeels)

- I go second, He has an active Mewtwo vs my Celebi. He starts off really sick, Dual balling for 2 Tynamo, Junking away 2 lightning for another Dual ball, getting a 3rd Tynamo, and then Ponts for a new hand of 6.

- I had everything in hand for a Hurricane turn 1, but he started off so hot, I don't think I'll be able to keep up. I pont, trying to get catcher to kill a Tynamo, but have to settle for 80 on Mewtwo.

- He gets Eel, Pluspower, and Ponts for a new hand. I think he rips a switch and DCE plus the Dynamoter, he's able to do 110 to KO my DCE'd Tornadus.

- I have everything in my 8 card hand for a big return KO in the mewtwo war. I whiff both tails on Dual ball. Since I whiffed that, I have to try and Smeargle something to stay in this. It's a juniper, losing my incredible hand (2 DCE, Shaymin, Eviolite)

- The game never gets better from there, Even Jorel apologizes for how bad this game was.

2-1

Round 4 - Pierre F./Thefrenchsnake (Reshiphlosion)

- I have never tested vs. Reshiphlosion and for the most part have written off the deck in my mind. Well, I was in for a serious beating.

- I go second, after he opens Vulpix and Collector for 3 Cyndaquil. I open Regigigas and try to draw into a Switch for the KO on Vulpix, but never see it.

- For the next 4-5 turns, I'm trying to draw into Catcher to start picking off Cyndaquil with either my Gigas or Nadus. I literally pont into nothing, followed up with Portrait into a supporter, drawing nothing. By turn 6, my discard pile is 1 dual ball, 3 pont, 2 N. Nothing else.

- During this time, Pierre has 1 Typhlosion up, and gets a catcher-Blue Flare on my Nadus. As well as an Outrage KO on a celebi.

- I somehow get the game down to a 2-2 prize game. He has 3 Typhlosion out and about 40 cards in his discard pile, only 3 energy in play/in the discard. Out of all the portraits, everything in his discard, there is no sign of Mewtwo. At all. I figure I can win the game if I N him to 2 and start sweeping with a Mewtwo.

- I draw a prize (1 remaining). He topdecks the 1 Mewtwo EX in his deck and wins the game. Either way, he was a really cool guy.

2-2

Round 5 - Katie J. (CMT)

- She has Gigas active, Nadus benched, vs my Smearg active and Gigas, Nadus, Celebi benched. I go first and portrait into nothing.

- She topdecks an Oak and gets everything she needs for a turn 2 eviolited Gigas KO on my smeargle. I'm in an incredibly sticky spot here.

- The only response I have is to power up my own Gigas and get into a gigas fight. Thankfully I've playtested this and know how it works, whoever misses the Catcher-ko first is in trouble.

- Eventually she has 3 N in the discard and like 130 damage on my Mewtwo (she Hammered it with her gigas). I'm not worried about N and eventually Gear into my seeker, doing a sick Switch-Seeker shenanigans on my Mewtwo, really setting her back, especially after I get the KO on her gigas.

- She Junipers, throwing away a second Gigas. I didn't think she ran a second one and if she played it earlier, I'd be in a seriously bad spot. She draws nothing off the Juniper and I end up taking this one, barely.

3-2

Round 6 - Juanita M. (Zekeels)

- My opening hand has 4 Celebi in it. Anyone have the % on that? It has to be astronomically low... Either way, I draw into an N and am able to get a turn 1 X-ball KO on a Cleffa.

- After I kill her Cleffa, she is never able to set up. She was a newer player and would make really awful mistakes like playing down a Tynamo and then Level Balling for the Eelektrik, only to see that I gobble up Tynamos like it's my job.

- Eventually it looks like she doesn't even run Mewtwo and I run a complete train on her whole board. She wasn't even able to ATTACK the entire game. 6-0'd.

4-2

Round 7 - Harrison K. (Glaciate Kyurem swarm)

- He mulligans like 4 times and I see his whole deck pretty much. He's got crushing hammer, tons of revive, lost removers, water energy, and I suspect it's Kyurem EX swarm, but once he finally gets a basic I see it's just glaciate swarm.

- Even with all those mulligans, he goes first and N's it all away. I draw complete trash and am really worried because if he sets up a glaciate before I can get attackers, I'll be done for.

- After draw-passing for 3 turns in a row, he gets a Kyurem up with 1 DCE and 2 water, doing his first Glaciate. He has no other pokemon out. My field and hand is so pathetic, but I thankfully topdeck a Juniper, into Mewtwo, DCE, grass. Allowing me to do 140 with one X-ball.

- This guy's beard was awesome!

5-2

Round 8 - Conrad F. (Cobalion/Terrakion)

- I mulligan twice and go first, I have to forest breath and attach a DCE to a Celebi, before Ponting.

- He has Cobalion and Terrakion out with EXP shares on both. He dual balls for 2 Tyrogue and plays switch, before punching my Celebi. Tyrogue wakes up.

- I get a Hurricane for the first prize. He tries to Punch and stay asleep again, failing. I catcher and hurricane his Cobal.

- He hits me for 80 with Cobalion, right before I switch Seeker it up and Hurricane the Cobal right back for my second prize.

- With the prizes 4-6, I feel safe starting the Mewtwo war. With shaymin, I load up two Mewtwos with like 12 energy between them. Eventually, he is never able to get a Cobalion powered up before I one-shot it with X-balls to the face.

6-2

Round 9 - Brent S. (CMT)

- Brent goes first, facing my lone Celebi. He whiffs on the stuff needed for a turn 1 donk and we end up having a real game.

- I have a bunch of energy and useless trainers in my hand and am prepared to lose, for my first draw of the game, it's a top deck of the century (dual ball) and I'm able to get a Gigas out swinging for 80. Eventually netting me 2 really quick prizes.

- He has to swing into my Gigas to try and take it down. It's got like 150 on it before I play a switch, sending up my Smeargle, and Ning us both to 4. After the N, I portrait, he DREW HIS ONLY SEEKER IN THE DECK, and I'm able to pick up my Gigas, pretty much sealing the game.

- He's out of N and can't keep up with my Gigas.

- Thankfully, Brent and I are bros and it sucks we had to face each other in the round that decides top cut. Believe it or not, we both made it (he squeaked in at 31st!)

7-2

Top 32 - Dana L. (Tornadus/Terrakion)

Game 1

- Dana goes first, with lone Shaymin active. He plays 2 dual balls and only hits 1 heads, playing down a Tornadus with Fighting, before passing. I go and immediately play Seeker, essentially undoing his first turn and setting him back for the rest of the game.

- I basically counter every single move he makes, with eviolited Tornadus, Switch-Seeker shenanigans, and even Shaymin to 2 Mewtwo, and had one incredible turn to win it for me.

1-0

Game 2

- We have a pretty decent back and forth this game, I only have 1 nadus prized, can't play Gigas, and don't want to start the Mewtwo war early, so I have to get as much out of my 1 Nadus as I can.

- He gets a really great setup with early EXP shares everywhere and off of a Pont gets one amazing turn that seals the game.

1-1

Game 3

- I finally get to go first, time is called pretty much immediatly. I have no other option but to go Mewtwo. I put a Grass/DCE on it and hit his Terrakion for 60. I figure he needs a decent draw to win the game (mewtwo, DCE, switch). He ponts into nothing.

- I get the KO on Terrakion for the win.

2-1

Top 16 - Jon V. (Zebstrika)

Game 1

- He goes first, I'm able to get 2 consecutive X-ball KO's on Tynamos before he is able to set up. From there he is completely shut down for the whole game, eventually scooping.

- From this game I learn a very valuable lesson. Starting the Mewtwo war early means you will win. Because if he has to return KO your mewtwo's, he isn't Disconnecting. If he isn't disconnecting, he is losing.

1-0

Game 2

- I was so incredibly fatigued at this point that I misplayed so many times I'd like to imagine this game never happened. Not to undermine Jon's play, he played everything perfectly, I just did awful and we were both half-asleep.

1-1

Game 3

- I stil didn't get to go first until game 3. I whiff the catcher I needed for a KO on benched Tynamo. He goes for an Agility and hits tails.

- Once I'm able to kill his Blitzle, he has to pont/N for the next few turns, never drawing into Level ball or his pokemon.

2-1

Top 8 - Robert E. (Loligant)

Game 1

- Just like my other top cut matches, I'm going second in game 1. I have played this matchup before on playtcg and know how it plays out. Obviously it all comes down to flips. I play it really slow at first, using my portrait to scout out his hands, seeing when he has twins or the cards for the plume. Whenever he doesn't have it, I have to take the risk he won't top deck and take a KO.

- Eventually we get down to 1-1 prizes. He has a shaymin EX on the bench ready to demolish anybody, I can't do anything and lose. This game was incredibly long, probably 45 minutes alone.

0-1

Game 2

- He opens Mewtwo EX, since I was going first he had to try and avoid the donk. He never gets an Oddish out and spent a lot of time in this game trying to get setup. Once the game ended, we had about 2 minutes left of our time for game 3.

1-1

Game 3

- He goes first and lays out 2 Petilil and 2 Oddish. Once my turn starts, time is called. Turn 0. I burn through a ton of cards trying to draw into a DCE for Hurricane knockout, because I really need it since we're in +3. I don't get it and have to send up Smeargle to try and portrait something. I use his N.

- Off the 6 card N, he gets candy plume, Lilligant, Energy. He hits the bemusing and my smeargle is locked up there. I'm totally screwed and there's absolutely no way for me to get out of this. FML.

Props

- Team Hooters
- Adam G. For winning with my Zekeels <3
- Gigas EX is an all-star
- Seeing everybody again, all my bros
- Curran H. for testing with and top 8ing with my CMT :D
- Judges did a great job
- Heidi Craig is an awesome person overall. I wish I lived in FL and had the opportunity to play pokemon with her presiding!
- special thanks to Charlie G. for loaning me 2 Mewtwo EX and David R. for loaning me 4 celebi!!!

Slops

- CMT didn't win a single Regionals? Shucks
- Dark Explorers ruining the format before Nationals :(
- Me being a clamperl and not playing nightmare.dec

Looks like I'll have to at least top 8 Nationals to play at worlds. Shucks

Last edited:
Back