Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

RS-on Armaldoom

Garuda

This is a RS-on format deck. Remember that this format is still the current format for Spain, French, Portugal and Brazil, so don't flame this thread. :biggrin:

Pokemons: (12)

3x Anorith (Fast Evolution)
3x Armaldo (Sandstorm)
3x Houndour (I find the dragon one with roar better)
3x Houndoom (UF)

Energy Cards: (15)

8x Fighting Energy
4x DRE
2x Scramble
1x Heal

Trainers

4x Claw Fossil
4x Wally's Training
3x Great Ball
3x Battle Frontier
2x Desert Ruins
2x Rare Candy
3x CopyCat
3x Switch
2x Fluffy Berry
1x Retriever
3x Celio's
3x TV Reporter

The goal is start with claw fossil and evolve ASAP to anorith, hopefully grabing another evo (houdoom or armaldo) with his attack (fast evolution) and have full setup T2, on the worst case at T3, from there lock all trainers.
The fluffy berry and high count on switch should allow me to retreat armaldo when I need to use supporters.
Rare candies are here for the cases when I don't begin with a houndour but manage to search for it or draw into it, so I can do an instantaneous doom.

There is no aipom because I don't want to start with him and no other basics, maybe I let him get a chance on my tests but for now, no aipom.

Fixes? Comments? Suggestions?

I posted this kind of deck long time ago it doens't actually work because most of the deck now don't fully depend on trainers like in unlimited

o.õ what are you talking about? õ.o

People relies on candy and celio's/PETM to get their stuff out (pidgeot, even cargo)
Blocking the BF shuts down theirs setup, there isn't a lot to be done when the maximum you can do is evolve/play basic and attach energy/use powers (if they aren't already blocked)

The point is block asap the opponents trainers to deny any hope to setup. Without trainers early game is much more harder to setup, even if people relies on certain powers from evolved stuff.

I really didn't understand what's your point :confused:

Agree with garuda, maybe powers help more than unlimited but.... playing with no Celio/PETM? without Candy? without pidgeot if they play only 1 BF, or Jirachi with 1 MT Moon (this 2 should be in your deck)? Sounds pretty hard

I was thinking about Mt moon and scott

At my last turn before evolve armaldo play scott and grab disruptive gyms that matches with my opp weaknesses (mt moon, BF or Desert Ruins) and maybe a draw supporter hoping for a switch (if not already in my hand)

From there, 50(DRE)/60 each turn against resourceless opponent should be enough.

Maybe take out 1 TVR and 1 CC for 2 scott and -1 BF for 1 Mt Moon?

Very nice idea Venusaur, I could take out the swithces for a porygon line and take out the fluffy for the roots.
Downsides: It would increase my bench count, maybe shuting down doom´s body :(

BTW I´ll try that for sure. Thanks a lot :thumb:

garuda > I don't say deck doesn't need research cards but I mean that they don't need them as much as in unlimited so it's much less powerful ... It still works agaisnt many deck though ...

venusaur > nice idea :)

Porygon2 is a nice idea but there are 3 problems with it:

Another line to bench and evolve (losing focus)
Battle Frontierr and Mt Moon shuts him down, turning him very hard to be used effectively, even harder than switching cards,
Porygon isn't a great starter and this possibility compared to the potencial benefits just doesn't cut it.

Kiwill: yeah, maybe not THAT powerhouse, but can cause some havoc depending on the metagame. I'll develop this idea just in case my metagame turns into something like an easy path to armaldoom in the future (Abuse of lightining/metal types) and try to counter them. If works, fine, if not I'll think about other stuff...

In playtesting I found that it's absolutely needed to start building up a second armaldo right after the first one starts beatdown. That's difficult because I don't have anything that searches or allows me to grab another claw fossil, forcing me to draw into it.
When you manage to build up the second armaldo it's pretty hard to the opponent do a comeback.

is there anything that could help me getting a fossil out that is RS-on legal?

Last edited:
you can use azurill + switch but it would but a pokemon on youzr bench and it will maybe stop houndoom's power ...

Hmm I could try that too, but instead of switching an warming my bench, I could use swoop! to get a houndour...

Then I need to find room for 4 azurill. The four swoops can come in place of great balls since its only use is getting houdour out and swoop will be doing that anyway...

But dunno what take out for the azurills :confused:
Any suggestions about it?

I've found that the swoops are a bit useless with azurill ;/ it's better let him out getting trainers till die than worry about swooping him away =/
I was thinking about some healing for this deck in the place of swoops and retriever (a bit useless too)

So I come up with this

Pokemons: (15)

3x Azurill (Setup)
3x Anorith (Fast Evolution)(setup)
3x Armaldo (Sandstorm)(lock and beatdown)
3x Houndour (I find the dragon one with roar better)
3x Houndoom (UF)(lock)

Energy Cards: (15)

8x Fighting Energy
4x DRE
2x Scramble
1x Heal

Trainers

4x Claw Fossil (setup)
4x Wally's Training (setup)
3x Great Ball
2x Battle Frontier (lock)
2x Desert Ruins (beatdown)
2x Rare Candy (setup)
3x CopyCat
2x Switch (3 was too much IMO)
2x Fluffy Berry
3x TV Reporter
3x Life Herb (expand armaldo's usefull time)

There aren't too many supporter for the following reasons:
Armaldo turns it harder to use
Once people realize that a full bench will hurt them they will not lay down basics so, no steven's and 3 copycats
TVR is here because I will usually and up having a hand large with some useless cards in mid-game, then I can get rid of them
Wally is here for speed propouses.

I kept the great balls to get houndour, yeah celio is more versatile but is also a supporter and with 4 wally's AND fast evolution it should not be hard to get both armaldo and houndoom out, the big problem is getting claw fossils out and build a second armaldo ASAP.
Maybe the life herbs could help here, expanding armaldo's turns a little bit, giving me time to get the cards I need.

Any toughts on this new list?

Back