Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rules Question

Crobat58

I just have a question because some kid tried to make me lose and get disqualified in a tournament.:mad:

Can a player ask for a judge to check how many cards there are in the opponents deck if it looks like if there is less/more than 60 cards? If so, can he ask for it after the round has ended?

Thanks for the help!

asking the judge is completely legal i would guess.
But you are allowed to count the cards yourself cuz it is public knowledge. If your oppo does not let you then ask the judge to count.

^Ummm, I don't think that the amount of cards in the deck during a match is public knowledge, but if you want to go to a judge before or after the game then it should be fine since it would prevent cheating

^Ummm, I don't think that the amount of cards in the deck during a match is public knowledge

The number of cards remaining in each player's deck is technically public knowledge.

If the player can count or look at something without having to rearrange cards, it's considered public knowledge. So the number of cards in the opponent's hand, the number cards in the opponent's deck, what all is attached to a Pokemon in play, etc - all public knowledge.

asking the judge is completely legal i would guess.
But you are allowed to count the cards yourself cuz it is public knowledge. If your oppo does not let you then ask the judge to count.

No you can not count their deck. Even touching in can cause problems. What is in the deck IS NOT public knowledge.

No you can not count their deck. Even touching in can cause problems. What is in the deck IS NOT public knowledge.

Wait. Really?

So when my opponent is down to 4 cards left in their deck and I can plainly see that there are four cards, I have to pretend I don't know or something?

I can understand not being allowed to know what's IN the deck, but the number of cards there should not be an issue (just like cards in hand).

Wait. Really?

So when my opponent is down to 4 cards left in their deck and I can plainly see that there are four cards, I have to pretend I don't know or something?

I can understand not being allowed to know what's IN the deck, but the number of cards there should not be an issue (just like cards in hand).

There is nothing that says you can not count their deck without touching it. It is when you pick it up thet you will run into problems.

Ah, that makes sense.

The number of cards in your opponent's deck is public knowledge in that YOU MAY ASK THEM TO COUNT. You cannot count it yourself. You may also ask a judge to count it.

So, that means that in the middle of the match you could pick up your deck and count how many cards are in it? I'm confused :confused:

Alternatively, can't the discard pile be regularly sifted through? So you could count the number of cards in their discard, add in the cards in their hand and on the board, and subtract from 60. Takes longer but I'm pretty sure you can do all of that without question.

The contents of the discard are public knowledge. Anyone involved in the game can look at the discard pile.

Yeah, I agree with losjackal. I guess it would be better to count everything else and subtract so that your opponent doesn't think that you are rearranging their deck or cheating.

Alternatively, can't the discard pile be regularly sifted through? So you could count the number of cards in their discard, add in the cards in their hand and on the board, and subtract from 60. Takes longer but I'm pretty sure you can do all of that without question.

If you're trying to determine if they're playing with an illegal deck, as mentioned in the OP, that obviously wouldn't work, though :p

Unless the opponent is down to the very bare-bones end of their deck...

Yeah my post assumed it was near the end of the game, because the OP was asking about checking after the game too. My logic was you can count everything that's been played or in play, and then the next time you cut their deck you can approximate if it matches the count assuming they started with 60. I don't know how else you'd figure that it looks like they have more or less than 60.

Here's a thought....indeed the next time you are offered a cut after they search your deck, can you do a mini 6-pile shuffle? I know the opponent is allowed to then cut their own deck since you performed a "non standard" cut, but this would give you the opportunity to count too.

Admittedly, it's easier to ask the judge to count if you truly suspect a problem, but doing a 6-pile shuffle mid-game when offered a cut didn't seem out of line.

Problem with 6-pile shuffle is it takes too long. Your opponent might get antsy and start wondering if you're stalling. And you can't exactly say 'I'm checking how many cards are in your deck, hold on!' Well, I guess you COULD, but it doesn't seem wise.

Most people 6-pile shuffle at the beginning of the match. Just watch a little more closely to make sure your opponent's count comes out even. ^^ That's what i say.

Can a player ask for a judge to check how many cards there are in the opponents deck if it looks like if there is less/more than 60 cards? If so, can he ask for it after the round has ended?

Thanks for the help!
Yes to both. The penalty if any may be applied to the current match or the next one. If you are suspicious it is best not to sign the match slip but to ask for a count immediately the game ends. If the opponent refuses or the count is wrong then call a judge.

You are NOT allowed to pick up your deck and count the remaining cards.
Of course you are! Its your deck and knowing when you are going to deck out can be a game decider. You are not allowed to spend a lot of round time counting your cards but that is a different issue.

Here's a thought....indeed the next time you are offered a cut after they search your deck, can you do a mini 6-pile shuffle? I know the opponent is allowed to then cut their own deck since you performed a "non standard" cut, but this would give you the opportunity to count too.

Admittedly, it's easier to ask the judge to count if you truly suspect a problem, but doing a 6-pile shuffle mid-game when offered a cut didn't seem out of line.
That would almost certainly get a judges attention for all the wrong reasons. Mid game shuffles are supposed to be brief. Not sure how a six pile could be considered brief.

Back