Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sableye donk-how to combat it

run your own sableye or sapiritomb is really the only way

spiritomb is the more reliable of the too

with sableye they still have a 50% chance of going first, and even if you go first, you might not be able to get out of the donk

spiritomb stops them from playing trainers, and you can leave it out till you are way out of reach of the donk
the only thing you have to watch out for is that if sabeye gets a sp dark he can knock out the tomb, so having a second one waiting isnt a bad idea

one thing if you run your own sableye is you can disrupt them
and early initiative or judge (or both) can leave sabledonk with out any draw power

I would say... play Mamoswine GL/Snorlax RR and say "HAHA! everything has 100 HP!"

OR

do what the people above said :p

1. Hope that they don't start Sableye and that you go first.

2. Run Sableye, hope to start with it and hope to win the flip if they do too.

3. Run Spiritomb, hope to start with it, and hope that you can Bench something else during setup as well.

I almost never complain about cards and the format but Sableye w/ B&W rules (if it happens) is just depressing and sucks the skill right out of the game. What makes it worse is that it was never meant to happen. B&W rules are for HGSS-on.

SPs can still live since they have high HP, run a mid-high basic count and can Power Spray (IF they start with it, a bit unlikely) vital Uxies that keep Sabledonk drawing cards.

Realistically, Sabledonk isn't a good deck choice for ANY decent player. With the deck, you MUST start with one of four Sableye's. Otherwise, you risk going second, whether to a flip or to an opposing Sableye. Even if you do start with Sableye, your opponent can start with it as well and still win the flip. If the opponent starts with Spiritom plus another basic, you could really be in some deep crap as well. Not to mention the off ball chance an opponent just so happens to start with too many basics for the deck to handle.

Think about mirror matches. Entirely luck based. Now think about every other deck that runs four Sableye. You have the same luck based chance to beat those said decks. Which obviously means those decks have the same luck based chance to beat Sabledonk. The thing is, however, is that when those decks play other decks, they are NOT relying on such luck to win. A superior build and better playing will actually matter.

So why would a top player choose a deck where his skill is shadowed by luck? By who starts with Sableye and who doesn't? WHen you could rely on luck for one single match up, and use skill to win the rest.

I agree, Sablelock IS a bad choice for a decent player.

The problem is that it is a superb choice for the less than decent player . . . giving them at least a 50-50 chance (probably more) of beating players that they would have to get incredibly lucky to beat any other way.

Run ~15 basics. This should fix most of the problem.

It takes a gimmicky deck to run 15 basics though, so, you better hope it works ;)

Run ~15 basics. This should fix most of the problem.

It takes a gimmicky deck to run 15 basics though, so, you better hope it works ;)

doesnt every sp deck run more than that?

anyway ive seen it clear a field of 4 pokemon, and even with 20 basics thats not likely

Even with 20 Basics the chances of getting 4 or more are about 1 in 7 games.

JWittz's video shows Sabledonk clearing a field of 3 80 HP Basics.

Even with 20 Basics the chances of getting 4 or more are about 1 in 7 games.

JWittz's video shows Sabledonk clearing a field of 3 80 HP Basics.

that video is so insane... It's pretty ridiculous that the deck can do that. I would say three 80 HP pokes is a more than generous start for any deck.

After proxying the few cards i do not have (victory medals lol) I tested Jwitt'z exact build out.

I found it hilarious that one game my special dark AND my Alph Lithograph were prized. It totally killed it.

This deck is probably not going to be at top tables, but will give many good players totally unnecessary losses. Kind of a kamikaze situation i guess.

This deck is probably not going to be at top tables, but will give many good players totally unnecessary losses. Kind of a kamikaze situation i guess.

Agreed, and that's the worst possible scenario for the health of the game.

I guess I sound bigoted again :wink:

What you guys don't realise isn't that "Sabledonk" is the problem - Sableye in general is the problem. The problem is that you can Collector for Giratina, mesprit and something else, Let Loose + Psychic Bind and then impersonate Initiative before they have a turn. The donks are a problem, but they're not even the MAIN problem. I really hope they change the going first rule, cause it's so dumb.

Back