Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sad to say this about Super Smash Bros

Bullet

as much as I like it, the series, and competition with it.

I Just cant see how this can be a competitive game compared to just about any other game out there right now.

#1) hardly a legit ladder anyway

#2) I can only see this game as being fun every now and then but nothing like tournaments unless it was among friends.

#3) The spamming this game has is worse then what I seen in my time of World of Warcraft, I could break down some characters used to go on top of ladders but the person playing really possess no skill.

#4) Its like yugioh, too luck based, its one of those games where your 1 on 1 and you die at 70% dmg (70 freaking percent)...... but the guy your facing wont seem to die at 170%. Very Unbalanced.

#5) I think the best thing going for Brawl is having games with items, I think all of the competitive battles people have with 3 stock, 8 min time limit, no items, and fighting on the same 4-5 stages is just not the way to go with this game.

#6) Chain Grabbing which can be similar to spamming is another reason its not competitive, why young link and ice climber players so easily move to the top.

#7) Diddy Kong and Meta Knight........nuff said about that.

#8) Online has too much button lag, it is said though online competition cannot determine anything of how a player is going to play at a real tournament (not online), I have heard stories now where the people who win alot online ends up losing alot in real tournaments.

#9) I think the game from a competitive standpoint is too contaminated.

I can go on and on, maybe this game can only be played offline, it seems when I play online I am missing half of my attacks I would normally hit offline due to lag, quite frankly when I play online, it just feels the game and button smashing is not keeping with what I am pushing or its not fast enough for my style of play and often at times I am pushing a button and it does nothing or you push a combo and it does something totally opposite.

But this is my gripe with this game online.

1) sure
2)also sure
3)also also sure, but only some characters have spam that can let them beat a pro.
4) On this one I have to disagree, you just need to know HOW to kill them. =/
5) It's 4 stock no items 8 min. B) And again, some of the items are overly overpowered, sometimes it's fun to play with items, but when items change the entire tide of battle is where it gets out of hand.
6)*toon link?
7)169% agree with this one, Diddy and Meta and *curse words*
8)For me, most of the time the lag isn't that bad to not be able to play in. But sometimes lag can be an issue.
9)sure, may just be better to be competitive offline, like gimpyfish and the other "pros" that couldn't stand getting beaten online.
10) *strips*

Well lag is button lag and delay, thats all even though both players internet connection is superb.

The button and delay it sends makes it where its hard for the game to keep pace with your actions, really you have to keep pace with the game more then vis versa, thats a big minus as to why brawl cant be taken seriously online.

9)sure, may just be better to be competitive offline, like gimpyfish and the other "pros" that couldn't stand getting beaten online.

I think reality could be setting in that players like Gimpy were never that good to begin with, in Melee we believed everything about whos best and who wasnt when truth was nothing big was ever done in the way of tournaments, usually they were the ones involved in setting up tournaments but the only problem was they set them up in weak areas, like they missed half the U.S. in the process. I aint following offline tournaments much right now, but I bet gimpy and all is getting beat pretty good in tournaments that him and others within his circle are not hosting.

Last edited:
I disagree.

It's an awesome game, prolly one of the best out there right now.

Every con in this game has like 2 pros.

Yeah, it's funny. Everyone thinks they're really good at a game until they go online and get pwned.

I agree with your post.

At least it is really fun offline.

LOL at Brawler, of course you like it because your name and avatar are related to Brawl :thumb:

But yeah, still one of the best games. Nintendo just doen't know how to do online play right. They're too concerned about keeping it clean for the kiddies.... and their servers are either slow or way overloaded, so that would need changed too.

Well the thing, they think they are good, they might be, but online play I come to the realization is so ridiculously different then offline play.

I have heard from alot of people say they go to offline tournaments and the people they can 2-3 stock in a match is the same people that actually beats them online. It seems to be a very noticeable trend to and its to a point now where when tier list are made, theirs an offline tier list, and theirs an online tier list, and how different they are is just unbelievable and I couldn't believe how different the list was when I saw it.

See I thought I was just bad at the game, for every win I accumulate in online brawl, I lose 2-3, and then I started breaking it down where the problem was, aside from my strategy which did have a couple flaws in it, I quickly realized button lag factored in, and online controls YOU, as in you have to stay pace with what the game can handle instead of the game staying at pace with what you are capable of. Its like good players are nerfed, bad players are able to do better online.

Its a sad little fact and I am betting most ladders dont really like analysis very much.

A few corrections about misconceptions here.

Nintendo does not have "Servers" all online matches are peer-to-peer. This is partly why the online is so bad.

Brawl in general is a much less competitive game then melee. This may have been because they wanted to be more accessible for all, or maybe because Sakurai didn't like the competitive aspect to melee. Regardless, Brawl is not as competitive as melee for aTwo main reasons.

1. Metaknight. He is the best character in the game. There is no argument. There is no BAD matchup. Every matchup he has is either neutral or in his favor. There is talk of banning him in the competitive scene similar to what happened to Akuma.

2. Slower gameplay- Although it might not be apparent, the slowdown that occured between brawl and melee has not benefited the competitive community. Most matches are reduced to camping, and those that don't involve camping usually do involve metaknight.

Before you bring up the argument that people, such as myself, who played melee competitively are just sore about Brawl getting rid of advanced techniques, let me remind you, the best player in brawl right now, is Mew2King. Who just so happened to be the best player in melee as well. When asked which game he prefers, he still says melee, but he is good enough at Brawl that he won't ignore the stream of income it brings him.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Brawl- Casual friendly, Competitively inept.

Melee- Competitively Rich, casually inferior to brawl.

melee > brawl enough said.

Melee is More competitive than brawl..

we had brawl weeklys here in nY every friday and alot of people who have been playing this game for a while prefer melee over it but some people moved on and play brawl and it attracts alot of new players to play unlike melee where someone can 0 to ko you with falcos shine to spike or fox's wave shine or marths tipper =/

yep yep.

#1) hardly a legit ladder anyway

Legit ladder?

#2) I can only see this game as being fun every now and then but nothing like tournaments unless it was among friends.

Then don't play in tournaments.

#3) The spamming this game has is worse then what I seen in my time of World of Warcraft, I could break down some characters used to go on top of ladders but the person playing really possess no skill.

This is like saying that GG was cheap and you won't use it and hate people who use it. It is what is called "scrub mentality". It's pretty much you don't know how to counter a move or see it as cheap, so you say it takes no skill and that you demean the people who do use it to get to the top.
Guess what? People play with friends to have fun. They play in tournaments to win. If what you see is cheap is an effective way to win, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to do it and not get ridiculed for it.

#4) Its like yugioh, too luck based, its one of those games where your 1 on 1 and you die at 70% dmg (70 freaking percent)...... but the guy your facing wont seem to die at 170%. Very Unbalanced.

Luck based? lolwut. This game is so skill intensive and full of mindgames, the only luck there would be is if there were items.

#5) I think the best thing going for Brawl is having games with items, I think all of the competitive battles people have with 3 stock, 8 min time limit, no items, and fighting on the same 4-5 stages is just not the way to go with this game.

That's your opinion, and your opinion would make it even more luck based. Tournaments in this game are made so it is more skill then luck. Wanting to have items and lands that flip upside down make it more luck based.

#6) Chain Grabbing which can be similar to spamming is another reason its not competitive, why young link and ice climber players so easily move to the top.

...If it wins, then it is competitive...

#7) Diddy Kong and Meta Knight........nuff said about that.

Be a bit more clear on your reasons.

#8) Online has too much button lag, it is said though online competition cannot determine anything of how a player is going to play at a real tournament (not online), I have heard stories now where the people who win alot online ends up losing alot in real tournaments.

The online for a lot of games is sub-par, but yes.

#9) I think the game from a competitive standpoint is too contaminated.
Contaminated? What do you mean?

my answers in bold, and im done with this thread :(

tripping is luck, but its more luck when you can smash someone at 150% and not die, they smash you at 70% and you die.

its too huge a difference compared to melee.

I have found out that bashing certain buttons seem to decrease the launch speed when send flying, which helps a character survive bad hits. Also, every character has a different percentage at which you can decrease the launch speed.

This is why I like Lucario so much, he seems to be the character that has the best Launch decrease as I always seem to be able to survive heavy blows until I have 120% or more.

This was also in Melee the case in which I bashed the B button a lot and that seemed to help there too.

tripping is luck, but its more luck when you can smash someone at 150% and not die, they smash you at 70% and you die.

its too huge a difference compared to melee.

Uhh.... there is no luck in that. All it is, is knowing how to hit them or who you are using. For example if I smash someone with Pit and they are at 70% they will probably not die. If I do the same with Bowser, there probably toast.

Diddykong is the most broken charictar in the game, as there is no realistic way to do anything about his stupid bananas. If items were on then he would be a little more fair, but the fact that he has his own(and very good) item makes him sick.

That wouldn't be luck. Weight, direction, damage, and power all decide where they go. Luck would be in Hyrule temple, where you can't so much control direction because of the ceiling, but in open places there is no luck.

I have found out that bashing certain buttons seem to decrease the launch speed when send flying, which helps a character survive bad hits. Also, every character has a different percentage at which you can decrease the launch speed.

This is why I like Lucario so much, he seems to be the character that has the best Launch decrease as I always seem to be able to survive heavy blows until I have 120% or more.

This was also in Melee the case in which I bashed the B button a lot and that seemed to help there too.

Dodging in midair slows down the speed.

Dodging in midair slows down the speed.

Thats been proven fictional. However, DI still exists in brawl, and perhaps to a greater extent. Upon being hit, the way you angle your control stick affects how far and where you will go.

If hit horizontally, by an F-Smash, smash the control stick up right away to get the greatest distance reduction. Vice-versa for vertical hits.

Uhh.... there is no luck in that. All it is, is knowing how to hit them or who you are using. For example if I smash someone with Pit and they are at 70% they will probably not die. If I do the same with Bowser, there probably toast.

Diddykong is the most broken charictar in the game, as there is no realistic way to do anything about his stupid bananas. If items were on then he would be a little more fair, but the fact that he has his own(and very good) item makes him sick.

Pit has high survival, I dont expect Pit to kill anyone under 150%.

you can take out tripping as long as your able to mod your wii using the twilight hack but it just takes out random tripping not intentional trippind like diddys F-Tilt and metanight's poke.

but yea anyone wanna brawl?

you can take out tripping as long as your able to mod your wii using the twilight hack but it just takes out random tripping not intentional trippind like diddys F-Tilt and metanight's poke.

but yea anyone wanna brawl?

Tripping sucks so badly, I've tripped like 3 times in one match before.
But shouldn't hack it out =/

And I'll play you, cept you seem to be offline, I missed you by 5 minutes. o<

Thats been proven fictional. However, DI still exists in brawl, and perhaps to a greater extent. Upon being hit, the way you angle your control stick affects how far and where you will go.

If hit horizontally, by an F-Smash, smash the control stick up right away to get the greatest distance reduction. Vice-versa for vertical hits.

Where was the proof to debunk it? because I know that get hit and dodge at the same time it will have them dodging in the air, I noticed this and clearly see they slow down enough to not die.

Back