Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Saddam Trial Verdict

pokeguru

From bbc.co.uk : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6117910.stm

bbc.co.uk said:
Death penalty for Saddam Hussein

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity by a Baghdad court and sentenced to death by hanging.
He was found guilty over his role in the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail in 1982.

His brother Barzan al-Tikriti was also sentenced to death, as was Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bander

Former vice-president Taha Yassin Ramadan got life in jail and three others received 15 year prison terms.

Another co-defendant, Baath party official Mohammed Azawi Ali, was acquitted.

Saddam Hussein shouted out "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest) and "Long live Iraq. Long live the Iraqi people!" after the judge announced the verdict.

Correspondents say the former leader looked visibly shocked as the sentence was passed, but the BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson said that as he was led away Saddam Hussein seemed to have a small smile on his face.

"It was as if he was thinking 'I've come here and done what I intended to do'," our correspondent said.

Personally, I don't think it'll do too much - he'll be seen as a martyr by many.

Your opinions?
~Cole

To be honest the little evidence I have seen from both sides has been poor to say the least. The whole trial has been a farce and its just served to be a political stage for Sadaam to present his views. Sadaam deserves to rot in jail for the rest of his life (I don't believe in the death penalty at all), but this trial, suposed to be a model for the way forward for Iraqi democracy, has hardly hurt his cause in the long term. With the number of different Judges, and defense lawyers, the last of whom was only on the case for 2 weeks, it actually wasn't a fair trial. Correct verdict but badly reached. No lets see how many people flame me as a Sadaam sympathiser when I've stated that i'm not lol:tongue:

Last edited:
The whole "crimes against humanity" thing is a load of crap. George Bush has done far more against humanity than Saddam, but he's certainly never going on trial. The whole "trial of Saddam" thing was a kangaroo court and show trial in every sense of the terms.

When is the hanging? Is there any chance of an appeal? Because, any half-wit lawyer could get Saddam off on any number of technicalities. This trial was a joke from start to finish. Saddam should have been roomies with Milosevic up in the Hague. I know Iraq wanted to show the world it could handle justice fairly but Saddam's trial was not the place to start.

Dunjohn said:
When is the hanging? Is there any chance of an appeal?

Yes, Sadaam has 30 days to apeal. Asuming he does, and that he's unsuccesful supposedly this could happen in very early 2007

Though death by hanging is probably terrible I believe he should have got life. I personally would rather have death then life in jail.

Hanging such an impossibly popular (within his own country/religion) person is enough to make him a martyr. I would've rather seen him rot in a max security jail than hanged for this reason. Killing him off will only make the Iraqi uprisings bigger and more brutal. At least if he's jailed for life, he won't be seen as a martyr and rather as a decrepit old man.

Still, the trial itself was absolutely pathetic. Didn't Saddam's lawyer get killed, like, 13 times or something like that? Or was it the prosecutor? I can barely tell them apart in this case...

Saying "well someone else did this" is not a defense. Furthermore, can you imagine another time in history where a tyrant would actually get a trial? Mussolini anyone? The fact that we've caught him and he's still alive to stand trial speaks volumes. Furthermore, Saddam didn't help his cause, turning the court into a circus with constant delays, outbursts, etc.

Marril said:
The whole "crimes against humanity" thing is a load of crap. George Bush has done far more against humanity than Saddam, but he's certainly never going on trial. The whole "trial of Saddam" thing was a kangaroo court and show trial in every sense of the terms.

Oh please, shut up about Bush already. Saddam was a lot worse than Bush. When was the last time Bush gassed his own countrymen (admittedly, the Kurds constantly pull off secessionist terrorist acts, but nevertheless, what about the Shias then?)? Has anything Bush done resulted in 100,000 deaths in a year?

I'm really shocked at this verdict, I thought he would've pulled a Milosevic and never got a verdict against him due to messing around in the court. I guess it helps to be Christian when you're a dictator on trial.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Moss Factor said:
Saying "well someone else did this" is not a defense. Furthermore, can you imagine another time in history where a tyrant would actually get a trial?

Hirohito? Milosevic?

The fact that we've caught him and he's still alive to stand trial speaks volumes.

Yes, that we haven't completely given up on international human rights agreements.

Furthermore, Saddam didn't help his cause, turning the court into a circus with constant delays, outbursts, etc.

Exactly what Milosevic did, and he got off scoff free until he died from natural causes.

Last edited:
Marril said:
here, you dropped this. *passes tin foil hat*

BrollyTheLegendary said:
So he's going to spend the rest of his life in jail, needle, or the chair?
Nope, gonna be hung. But, we'll see how the appeal goes.

The man most definately deserves death, but I'm not sure that's the way to go.

I think Pope John Paul II said it best. He wrote that execution is only appropriate "in cases of absolute necessity, in other words, when it would not be possible otherwise to defend society." Not entirely sure this is one of those cases.

Last edited:
Just because he deserves death doesn't mean its the best thing to do in this case. His case is kind of similar to that of Zacarias Moussaoui, the only man to be trialed over the 9/11 attacks. He ended up getting sentanced to life in prison rather than death, which he hoped for continually in trial. He can't be so much of a martyr for his cause now.

I think it'll be different with Saddam's death. While many Iraqis still support involvement from our allied forces of troops from US and UK, etc., there is a rising number of those who now say that they preferred Saddam's regime. I just don't see how his death will solve too many problems.

bullados - AFAIK, 3 or 4 of the defense lawyers were killed during the trial, and they changed the judge a couple of times I think as well.

MotL - Just a point - Milosevic didn't get off scoff free until his death of natural causes - his trial was still taking place when he died under custody. He was also tried in the Hague in Europe, rather than Saddam was in Iraq where the death penalty is still legal. Milosevic was unlikely to get the DP, but may have got it if in a country that allowed the death penalty.

pokeguru said:
While many Iraqis still support involvement from our allied forces of troops from US and UK, etc., there is a rising number of those who now say that they preferred Saddam's regime.

Do you seriously believe that?

MotL - Just a point - Milosevic didn't get off scoff free until his death of natural causes - his trial was still taking place when he died under custody. He was also tried in the Hague in Europe, rather than Saddam was in Iraq where the death penalty is still legal. Milosevic was unlikely to get the DP, but may have got it if in a country that allowed the death penalty.

Milosevic did get off scoff free. He should've been punished for being directly responsible for the murders of around a million people immediately, there wasn't anything to defend. His trials were an absolute farce and he just sat around doing nothing, and he died while the case was continually delayed. Saddam was hoping for the very same.

Oh please, shut up about Bush already. Saddam was a lot worse than Bush. When was the last time Bush gassed his own countrymen (admittedly, the Kurds constantly pull off secessionist terrorist acts, but nevertheless, what about the Shias then?)? Has anything Bush done resulted in 100,000 deaths in a year?

Abu Ghraib. The Guantanamo Bay detainment camp.

To less gross extents, shooting unarmed civilians, usage of banned incindiery weapons, mustard gas and nerve gas, destruction of crops, and of course usage of banned ammunition.

At this point, I hope Saddam succeeds in an appeal. The trial was as farcial as the Nuremberg Trials of 1945-1946.

Back