Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Safeguard vs Strafe Follow Up

MrMeches

I understand in this thread http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?182166-Safeguard-vs-Strafe you answered that Palkia was the 'target' so the Pokemon with Safeguard could be switched. However, in reviewing previous instances were Safeguard was available, I noticed this Compendium Ruling:

Q. Wobbuffet vs. Ninetales-EX... I try to use "Intense Glare" (switch 1 your opponent's Benched Pokémon with 1 of the Defending Pokémon...) on Wobbuffet. Does Wobbuffet's Safeguard Poké-BODY prevent the switch?
A. Yes it would prevent the switch. In addition, you could not do Intense Glare to bring up a Wobbuffet from the bench either, as that would be an "effect being done to Wobbuffet by a Pokémon-EX." (Feb 24, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Keeping with the same theme, Intense Glare targets the Benched Pokemon to be switched with a Defending but Wobbuffet prevents the switch.

Palkia Ex: Strafe - Switch this Pokemon with one of your Benched Pokemon
Ninetales Ex : Intense Glare - Switch 1 of your Opponent's Benched Pokemon with 1 of the Defending Pokemon. Your Opponent chooses the Defending Pokemon to switch.

How can 1 Safeguard prevent and the other not.

That ruling is from 2005. At that time, primary and secondary targets of effects were not distinguished.

Back