Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatious

Does anyone know how many packs of cards are typically sold in a month-year? WHat about the past couple of years? It this number being affected by the current economical decline?

If not, then could someone point me in the right direction?

i'm pretty sure that that is proprietary information, and you'll not find it online or elsewhere...as anyone who is privy to that info has a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) in force.

jmho
'mom

Does anyone know how many packs of cards are typically sold in a month-year? WHat about the past couple of years? It this number being affected by the current economical decline?

If not, then could someone point me in the right direction?

Not even investor reports give detailed sales data. They did note that the auxiliary product lines (especially noted TCG) are growing faster than the primary handheld games over 2009. I would say the TCG is selling exceptionally well considering how well Platinum sold.

Not even investor reports give detailed sales data. They did note that the auxiliary product lines (especially noted TCG) are growing faster than the primary handheld games over 2009. I would say the TCG is selling exceptionally well considering how well Platinum sold.

Cali, what is your source? Not because I don't believe it, but I'm interested in the rest of the content.

I'd like to know as well.

Also, there was a recent discussion here on whether the game is dying. We know about the growth in OP participants. We have plenty of andecdotal and "soft" evidence that the game is healthy and growing, but I'd love to have some more factual evidence on sales figures.

i'm pretty sure that that is proprietary information, and you'll not find it online or elsewhere...as anyone who is privy to that info has a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) in force.
That doesn't mean that no figures are available. I wouldn't be surprised if there were articles about the subject in trade journals, etc. The information might be not be as specific as we might like, but they would provide something.

If you are a shareholder you are able to listen in on the quarterly conference calls, in which they discuss sales data (although no hard numbers for anything Pokemon are given other than the video game sales). Normally they will do a comparison of Pokemon games (and their other big franchises) with their respective auxiliary products-which is where I heard the TCG info. Also, I received a copy of their annual report last September for fiscal year 2009. I will try to dig through files to find it, but I think they gave the same data.

You can also go to their investor relations sections of their website (seeing as how they are a publicly traded co.) they should have some sort of public documents available. I am not sure if those include as much detailed info as generally they inform the reader about general business growth and prospects for the quarter/year.

'nintendo' =/= TPCi...so any shareholder 'info' is not going to apply to the TCG.

'mom

jmho
'mom

Actually all you have to do to get that information is either

a: invest in the company. as a share holder it is your right to know the monthly and annual sales figures.

b: ask an investment firm that you use, or would use, to invest (buy stock in) the company.

As a publicly exchanged company, that type of information isn't covered under a confidentiality agreement. That is the bait corporations use to lure in investors.

The types of things which are covered by said agreements are proprietary things such as how much it costs to manufacture the cards, manufacturing materials, business models, and the like. What the OP is asking for is public information... and it would be interesting to know.

You don't need to be a shareholder to get this information.

Here is the link to the most recent FY annual report.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/annual0803e.pdf

It states in the report that because the operate predominantly in one business category, “the electronic entertainment products” that they are not required to break out the other segments. I didn't read the whole report so I don't know if they comment on their ancillary lines. The Pokemon Company is listed as a affiliated company and that the equity method is applied which basically is fancy accounting that means that because they own part or all of it that the results are included in the total numbers.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Hasbro report to see if they give any detail on Wizards of the Coast or MTG and they just make a brief mention that international sales were down.

I did not bother to go looking at the Konami website but you could check there for Yu Gi Oh.

If I had to guess in general Trading Cards are probably down year over year due the economy but it is probably because people are just buying less product not because they have less people playing.

In thinking about it I would be more curious what percent of the total Pokemon TCG revenue is derived from people that participate in Organized Play. I would bet that it follows the 80/20 rule. 20% of the consumers buying cards are participating in OP but probably are generating close to 80% of revenue... of course that is just a WAG.

Last edited:

WOW! Things have really changed since the last time I looked at my investments. Maybe I should take a more active roll with them, lol! You used to have to request that in writing and wait for it to come in the mail, lol!

Of course you can access investor information without being a shareholder. How do you think firms/individuals decide and evaluate what companies to invest in? The bonus of being an actual shareholder vs. just prospecting is that you have the ability to listen in on conference calls and you get more detailed reports on a quarterly basis.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/annual0803e.pdf

It states in the report that because the operate predominantly in one business category, “the electronic entertainment products” that they are not required to break out the other segments. I didn't read the whole report so I don't know if they comment on their ancillary lines. The Pokemon Company is listed as a affiliated company and that the equity method is applied which basically is fancy accounting that means that because they own part or all of it that the results are included in the total numbers.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Hasbro report to see if they give any detail on Wizards of the Coast or MTG and they just make a brief mention that international sales were down.

I did not bother to go looking at the Konami website but you could check there for Yu Gi Oh.

If I had to guess in general Trading Cards are probably down year over year due the economy but it is probably because people are just buying less product not because they have less people playing.

In thinking about it I would be more curious what percent of the total Pokemon TCG revenue is derived from people that participate in Organized Play. I would bet that it follows the 80/20 rule. 20% of the consumers buying cards are participating in OP but probably are generating close to 80% of revenue... of course that is just a WAG.

They did comment in their report that secondary product (aka non-electronic) Pokemon merchandise was rising faster than electronics sales. They then went on to say that this year was a great year for Pokemon video game sales as Platinum far exceeded their expectations in the US/Euro regions. I think it is safe to assume then, that the TCG is leading the way for non-electronics growth for TPCi/Nintendo and doing well!:biggrin:

Last edited:
That comment probably also includes DVDs, Toys, Clothing and other Licensed products but yeah TCG is probably following the same trend as all that other stuff.

Yeah the only reason I deduced that was because they I think it was at the end of the 2nd quarter 2008, Nintendo said that the TCG was the largest revenue stream of non-electronic Pokemon products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back