Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

San Diego BR Report

Zephyr

I ran a teched out Magnevire at this and made 4th. I didn't think I did too badly for my first actual tournament in 1.5 years.

Round 1 0-0

Me (Magnevire) vs. Dominic (Eeveelutions)

This was a pretty intense match. I got set up with two claydols, two magnezones (one lv. x), an electivire and a palkia lv. x around turn 3/4 while he tried to get as many eeveelutions as he could out. He managed to get out leafeon lv. x and espeon, but not much else. He may have had a claydol out, the memory's a bit fuzzy. I locked the leafeon x with cyber shock and that was done, but then he slapped down a glaceon lv. x, locked all my powers and snow cloak stalled me successfully for three turns. Luckily, I was able to tank with special metals during that time, but I was on the edge of my seat for those 3 turns until I was able to take out his glaceon due to metal weakness. After that, everything went downhill for him.

Round 2 1-0

Me (Magnevire) vs. Jason (Rhyperior/Furret)

The only real bump in this match was when Jason (who I hang out with almost every day) leveled up to Rhyperior X and one shotted my magnezone lv. x. Fortunately, I had a premier ball in my hand and stuck magnezone x onto the spare magnezone I had on the bench previously, paralyzed him for two turns then finished the job. After that, it was easy sailing due to him discarding too may rare candies through Hard Crush.

Round 3 2-0

Me (Magnevire) vs. ??? (Psychic/Grass)

This guy's deck didn't seem to have any synergy or particular strategy. It wasn't eventful at all. I swept the game.

Round 4 3-0

Me (Magnevire) vs. Juan (Empozong)

This was down to the wire. We traded blows throughout the game until it came down to him just barely not being able to KO Electivire for the time he needed to win. He took out Palkia Lv. X mid-game so I wasn't able to control him overly much, and zong spreading hurt basically everything in my deck (since everything has powers). Barely pulled this one out of the hat.

Round 5 4-0

Me (Magnevire) vs. Arthur (Blissdra)

Feeling pretty confident up to this point, I found myself up against the only other 4-0 in the tournament. Considering that I knew what deck he was running (he'd borrowed it from a friend of mine) and that I knew he was a better player than me, I was not expecting to win. And win I did not. Got 6-0ed by an aggro blissey.

Top Cut Round 1 4-1

Me (Magnevire) vs. Quan (Empozong)

Despite the grueling loss I'd taken 5th round, I managed to make it 2nd in the standings and get in the cut, where I ran into the only player in the cut I hadn't played at that tournament. The other players in the cut were Juan and Arthur. This match was much like the one with Juan, only I managed not to win. Quan went on to beat Juan in the finals and take 1st. I ended up 4th due to resistance.

It was a fun tournament, very well run. GG's to anyone I played both inside and outside of tourney matches. I hope to see this much variety in deck types at Cities. See you there!

Back