Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Searchable Pokemon TCG Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

davechri

Moderators, I don't know if this is the right place or not, so feel free to move it as you see fit.

I have created a searchable database of all the Pokemon TCG cards and put it on the web.

The URL is http://www.davechristian.net/pokedex

You can select almost any characteristic I could think of (HP, rarity, weakness, resistance, stage, type, retreat cost, etc) as well as format and set (format is Unlimited or Modified (CURRENT modified) and you can select a single or multiple sets (just hold down the CTRL key while selecting sets for multiple sets)).

I'm trying to add some more "pop-up" help text, but that's in the works and not finished.

If you have any comments or find any bugs (in either the application or the data produced - and this can be anything from "It crashes" to "you have a typo" (I'd love to get all those out of there and I believe I have some to work on)) please post them in a response in this thread.

I hope you find this resource useful. I've maintained it and used it for a couple of years now and it has helped me in my search for specific cards time and again.

dc

As I'd said earlier, via email...this is an AWESOME resourse for the community! Thank you very much for sharing this!

'mom :)

Do you need any help testing the db and keeping it updated .. can't say I would be much help but a resource like this is brilliant and you deserve all the credit and help we can heap on ya!

Last edited:
It is VERY VERY VERY cool! One thing though, I was looking at all Pokemon that "Force Discard", and Larvitar (Mountain Eater) from Aquapolis was missing from the list. Could you please check on that? Thanks!

ukpokemonpro - At some point when the next set is released, I may ask for some help getting that information pulled together. I'll probably see if anybody is willing to type in the information for a type (for example, ukpokemon pro volunteers to do Water, I do Psychic, etc.). I'd be looking for the information that is on the results page of the database. I'll do the rest of the behind the scenes stuff on it.

HypnosProjectHQ - This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks, it's fixed!

As for testing it, I'd prefer just to test it as it's being used as opposed to doing any kind of rigorous defined testing on it. I think this community will shake most of the problems out of it pretty quickly once people start hitting it.

Too good to be true!
A must see and have and surf and stuff.
Very good good good good good good good good good good good good good good... (You get the picture)

Wow, what an incredible database. It must have taken a very long time for you to type all of that up. It's awesome! *adds to favorites*

Very well done! I am quite impressed to see how accurate and fast this program is to find the cards that you are looking for. The only problems is that i can't find Ninetails from Aquapolis. Other than that, once again, Very well done.

*uses the force to make other people applaud*

Last edited:
Arthas_Zero, you found a problem with the database, but it's not what we thought!

Ninetails is actually spelled NineTALES. I had a mix of both spellings throughout. I've gone back and changed all spellings to Ninetales.

The AQ Ninetales is there with all the other Ninetales (I think :D )

dc

davechri said:
I have created a searchable database of all the Pokemon TCG cards and put it on the web.

The URL is http://www.davechristian.net/pokedex

Well Dave, you are a stud. I've made a couple runs at this (including some custom filters for importing spoilers). I was exploring using phaKT/ADODB and felt it quite promising. I'd love to see a colophon somewhere on how you built it (because I'm a web database geek).

Now, you have beat me to it! Never mind, then. Hearty congratulations and thanks!

A couple thoughts I had whilst kicking around my efforts:

• A deck list maker (for handiness & to kill 'tyrouge').
  • A tournament report maker.
  • Ability to list a collection and store it online or download.
  • A form where someone could correct a listing and submit it for consideration.
  • A form where someone could add a listing.
  • Possibly tie in, link to, compendium rulings related to the card; perhaps even see if compendium would officially incorporate it -- you might consider that.

Good luck with your database--truly a great tool & well executed.

Can't believe my eyes, we are working on the same but in our own language.
Little different layout but the intention is the same.

Thanks Bulbasnore!

I've had an Excel spreadsheet for a long, long time (since 2000) that I've used on my own PC.

I was wanting to learn PHP and my web host has MySQL and PHP. So I created a database in MySQL (surprisingly easy), imported the data (much harder than it should have been, but that was caused by the way Excel exports data to CSV files), and loaded up the database.

Then, I just had to learn enough PHP to (a) take my search criteria from the form, (b) generate the propery query string, and (c) interface to the database. There is SO much good information on the web regarding how to use PHP and MySQL that it became almost trivial.A deck list maker (for handiness & to kill 'tyrouge').

To address your specific items...

- A tournament report maker - That's a good idea. It could be form-driven and maybe even pull in some data
from the Nintendo software.

- Ability to list a collection and store it online or download - Actually, my database (and Excel spreadsheet)
already has fields in it for that purpose, including identifying 1st editions of cards (when that was
still around). Expanding my database to allow different users to store their specific information in there
is a little more than I want to bite off right now, but it would be a good thing to learn.

- A form where someone could correct a listing and submit it for consideration - I agree. I need to set
something like this up.

- A form where someone could add a listing - I'm currently accessing the database in two ways. One
is through myPHPAdmin (I think that's right) and it's open source PHP that gives a very slick
interface to the MySQL database. I use this for updates. The other is through an import functions
(also in myPHPAdmin). If I added a form to doing these, I would probably make sure they were
access limited to avoid any monkey business or inadvertant changes.

- Possibly tie in, link to, compendium rulings related to the card; perhaps even see if compendium
would officially incorporate it - I love any kind of idea where data is pulled together from two (or
more) different sources. If the Compendium is database-driven, a button or link could be created
that would query the Compendium's database based on the card in question. Something like this
could provide high, long-term value.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm probably going to start working on the form to submit errors and
suggestions this week.

dc

I was just looking through bench damage and SS Electabuzz was listed as having a feint attack for 3 colorless and doing 40 damage as well as bench damage. Blaziken isn't listed in bench damage. Just thought you might want to know. Wonderful creation. Thanks!
~Nobody~

Last edited:
Absolutely Awesome! :)
:thumb:
Keep up the good work! :D
:clap:
Shame on the commercial sites that can't come up with something like this for everyone :mad:

Very nicely done. Would there be a way to work in a search for colorless attacks? I think that would be helpful.

Duanojo, you can search for colorless attacks right now.

If you notice the way the Attacks are formatted, the energy required are right up front.

If there is a "[3G]" it means the attack takes 3 of any type plus 1 Grass. If there is a "[3]" it means the attack takes 3 of any type (great for identifying Pokemon who benefit from Boost Energy, BTW).

So, if you were wanting to find the colorless attacks, you can do a Text Search of
(without the quotes) "[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]" (and select "FIND ANY WORDS") and it
will return them. It will return all Pokemon that have attacks that are powered by 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 colorless energies.

Let me know if this helps.

dc

AbsolutelyNobody, you caught me!

I originally intended for Bench Damage to be like Discover Tyranitar - you do damage PLUS you do damage to benched Pokemon.

As the sets came out, I started thinking that I wanted to include ANY Pokemon that deals damage to the bench (a la Feint Attack). I never went back and included those Pokemon in my list of bench damagers. I'll try to update that tonight.

Thanks.

dc

Your Dragons list is incomplete. I searched for some cards I'm boycotting (namely Vibrava, Flygon, Latios ex, and Latias ex) because they're not the proper type (Fighting for Vibrava/Flygon, Psychic for Latios ex/Latias ex). I got one Flygon out of two, two Vibrava out of three, and neither Latios ex nor Latias ex were in the list.

Let me explain a bit further. Each GB type except Flying has a symbol descriptor in the TCG. The strong type Normal and the recessive type Dragon use the Colorless descriptor. The strong type Fire uses the Fire descriptor. The strong types Water and Ice use the Water descriptor. The strong types Grass, Poison, and Bug use the Grass descriptor. The strong type Electric uses the Lightning descriptor. The strong types Fighting, Ground, and Rock use the Fighting descriptor. The strong types Psychic and Ghost use the Psychic descriptor. The strong type Dark uses the Darkness descriptor. The strong type Steel uses the Metal descriptor. The recessive type Flying has no descriptor at the moment, and a pure-type (or type/Flying) Pokémon is required for a recessive type to have a descriptor. Dragon is not a strong type, Nintendo shouldn't try to make it a strong type.

Single types, be it strong or recessive, are straightforward--pure-Grass Chikorita is always Grass, pure-Steel Mawile is always Metal, and pure-Dragon Bagon is always Colorless. A strong type overrides a recessive type--simply put, Fire/Flyings such as Charizard are always Fire, Ice/Flyings such as Delibird are always Water (that Colorless Delibird in Neo Revelation wasn't supposed to be Colorless), and Ground/Dragons such as Flygon are always Fighting (why is neither Flygon in EX: Dragon Fighting-type? That's not proper.). Two strong types can use both descriptors--simply put, Ghost/Poisons such as Gengar can be both Psychic and Grass, Water/Poisons such as Tentacruel can be both Water and Grass, and the Dark/Ice Sneasel can be both Darkness and Water. Two recessive types are only in the case of Dragon/Flying, in which case one with a descriptor wins. Pokémon such as Dragonite ex and Salamence get to enjoy being Colorless Dragons just like Dratini and Bagon.

I'm sure those Pokémon (Vibrava, Flygon, Latios, Latias) will be released in their proper type one day. Delibird didn't get a proper-type release until Skyridge, but it was a proper-type release nonetheless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back