Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Shipping Pokemon Cards Affordably

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohatpat

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum and if it's not I apologize but I need to ask the experts here about saving on shipping.

It's come to my attention that I am spending way too much money shipping pokemon cards through USPS. I spend about 3-5$ to ship out like 2-5 cards and 7-9$ for big trades. It's too much money that I could spend buying cards off eBay instead of trading for them. Although I enjoy trading as some of the people I've traded with are pretty cool. But isn't there a more affordable way to ship cards that's safer than an envelope and stamp?

Problems I've had sending/receiving that way? From eBay I've lost two cards that was trying to ship that way. Either the mailman stole it, thinking the toploader was a credit card or it ripped somehow along the way. Cards that don't have toploaders risk bend marks or creases. And scratches if it's not in a sleeve. I paid 10$ for a Neo Espeon and it had this weird bend on it that seemed like from a machine pressing on it. However most cards make it here fine even with a toploader.

Then I've tried doing that method but for some reason I get charged 2$ because I guess it's too heavy? One got sent back because of the weight...

Bubble envelope and confirmation are my successful sends but cost too much.

Folks who've been trading many successful trades... how do you save on shipping? What's your method to the fastest and most affordable shipping plan that hasn't done you wrong yet? What about trades that have over 20 cards to be sent? What about very rare cards that cost a lot of money and you might risk losing it? Help me out here!

I have a drawer full of bubble envelopes. I got them all from just purchasing large orders from here and TnT. TnT is good with this because they ship with bubbles even with the 99c shipping. You could try taping down each side of the envelope. The tape should prevent tears in the sides, but will make it a whole lot harder to open if you don't have scissors or such available.

how do you save on shipping?

Instead of shipping all the cards in a toploader, you can get some kind of plastic wrap packaging, like the one sleeves come in, and put the cards in that. Insert a toploader inside, and that could save you some weight.

What's your method to the fastest and most affordable shipping plan that hasn't done you wrong yet?

USPS regular shipping hasn't failed me yet. :rolleyes:

What about trades that have over 20 cards to be sent?

If you're sending that many, you should at least ship in a decently sized bubble mailer. I have a bunch of card board boxes from amazon lying around, so I cut up two pieces and tape cards between them. You can't really save on shipping costs when you're shipping with the cheapest possible. Unless you want to train some carrier pigeons. That'd be so wicked.

What about very rare cards that cost a lot of money and you might risk losing it?

Bubble and track/DC it, if you're terribly worried.

Shipping up to 3oz with Delivry Confirmation should never cost you more than $2.50ish. That's for first class mail. It only goes up a few cents per additional ounce. If you ship a lot, buy your bubble mailers on ebay--you can save lie $1 per bubble mailer (I pay 17 cents each).

If you have more cards than that, ship in a small flat-rate box. It's $5 plus delivery confirmation, and you get the box for free.

Odd, when I've done trades in the past, toploader in the envelop along with a forever stamp always did the trick...

Otherwise, up how much you charge for shipping perhaps? You definitely should've have to take a loss due to shipping unless you're like sending a bunch in bulk or something.

Huh you know I did not realize we had a other forums section... must look more carefully next time...

Clearea you offered some good insight, I haven't ordered much from Troll and Toad but I never knew they gave out free bubble mailers. I've been spending 1.19$ for padded envelopes from USPS. That and shipping the package can cost me 3-5$ with or without confirmation.

However, I've bought a few bubble mailers today, think I can just stamp this and ship it out? Or would I have to pay a trip to the post office to pay for the "weight"?

If you're sending that many, you should at least ship in a decently sized bubble mailer. I have a bunch of card board boxes from amazon lying around, so I cut up two pieces and tape cards between them. You can't really save on shipping costs when you're shipping with the cheapest possible. Unless you want to train some carrier pigeons. That'd be so wicked.

Guess not, always thought USPS was either ripping me off or if people had like their own shipping of buying their set of packages and stamps and then they can just simply send it out without even going to the post office. Boy that'd save me a good amount of time and money... it'd be even better to train some carrier pigeons, I could be like Hey Arnold. :lol:

Shipping up to 3oz with Delivry Confirmation should never cost you more than $2.50ish. That's for first class mail. It only goes up a few cents per additional ounce. If you ship a lot, buy your bubble mailers on ebay--you can save lie $1 per bubble mailer (I pay 17 cents each).

If you have more cards than that, ship in a small flat-rate box. It's $5 plus delivery confirmation, and you get the box for free.

Say whaaaaaaaat? :eek: I just bought 4 mailers from Family Dollar for a buck each and I thought that was a deal. But 2.50$ unfortunately is a lot for me. :p That's like money I could be using to pay someone to ship cards to me, half a booster pack or even money to buy singles from your eBay. ;) 5 bucks to me is a lot to ship... but I guess there isn't a cheaper option... so much for a "get your own box, slap a couple of stamps on it and throw it in the mailbox".

Odd, when I've done trades in the past, toploader in the envelop along with a forever stamp always did the trick...

Otherwise, up how much you charge for shipping perhaps? You definitely should've have to take a loss due to shipping unless you're like sending a bunch in bulk or something.

For some houses it probably works really well. For houses in a ghetto like Dorchester with idiot mailmen who mistake people who have the same last name as relatives and can't put the mail in the right apartment and the person who finds it keeps it, it does fail. I've lost 2 cards that were supposed to come in that way, they were cheap so it wasn't a big deal but it was frustrating.. also I'm missing like 8 pieces of mail from USPS which I ordered like 2 weeks ago... forwarding process seems to take forever, I'd better go speak to someone about it.

You can always try carrier pigeon. They work for bird seed...

Yea! Better ask the pigeon man for some advice... wonder how many cards can it hold before it gives out. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAhScVuMhgg

Anyway I have my answer so if need the thread can be closed, just have oneeee question left...

"I've bought a few bubble mailers today, think I can just stamp them and ship 'em out like? Or would I have to pay a trip to the post office to pay for the "weight"?"

I probably could ask USPS that myself but sometimes I have the misfortune of running into someone not very helpful, incredibly rude and full of sarcasm and bitternes and tends to ramble... :nonono:

• Cut soda box
  • Get sleeves
  • Card in sleeve
  • Sleeve between two sheets of cardboard
  • tape cardboard once at two corners
  • Profit!

I've used the cardboard packaging from cereal boxes, crackers, etc. Cut 2 pc. of cardboard slightly smaller then the envelope, place cards into penny sleeves, sandwich cards between cardboard. Using packaging tape, tape each edge (from corner to corner) overlapping each other. I've placed labels with "DO NOT BEND / DO NOT FOLD" on the front & back of the envelope. Trim any of the tape that is too long. Be sure to print legible. I find this the cheapest way to package/mail cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back