Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Shoud POP Sanction Unlimited Premier Events??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys its soles and i dont know about yall but i miss umlimited.
i just wanted your feedback on if POP should sanction unlimted preimer events

Well, I think there are some serious problems with the format, i.e. two or three cards ... (you know which ones). If you were take those cards out of the mix, then I think an increase in unlimited would be (overall) a plus for the game including sales. If there were more unlimited events, we would have an easier time bringing old players back into the game. I know that one of my greatest sturggles has been the fact that old players are at a serious disadvantage when coming back to modified. If we provided more unlimited as sort of a "gateway," those players would become active and, in turn, but modified cards (because we're offering enough unlimited to bring them in, while the real competition, i.e. worlds, is in modified.)

PhoenixSong said:
Well, I think there are some serious problems with the format, i.e. two or three cards ... (you know which ones). If you were take those cards out of the mix, then I think an increase in unlimited would be (overall) a plus for the game including sales. If there were more unlimited events, we would have an easier time bringing old players back into the game. I know that one of my greatest sturggles has been the fact that old players are at a serious disadvantage when coming back to modified. If we provided more unlimited as sort of a "gateway," those players would become active and, in turn, but modified cards (because we're offering enough unlimited to bring them in, while the real competition, i.e. worlds, is in modified.)
There's a solution to that besides banning the cards. Eratta them so they can still be played, and be more fair at the same time.

charking said:
There's a solution to that besides banning the cards. Eratta them so they can still be played, and be more fair at the same time.

I think POP needs to stay away from errata whenever possible. Changing the way cards are played from the way they are read is a very serious thing, and, imho, should only be used in extreme circumstances.

Last edited:
PhoenixSong said:
I think POP needs to stay away from errata whenever possible. Changing the way cards are played from the way they are read is a very serious thing, and, imho, should only be used in extreme circumstances.
And you call Here Comes Team Rocket serious?!?

This may be a stupid question, but, when did they stop sanctioning unlimited. It was sanctioned last tournament season. Anyway, there are a few reasons why it's not.

1.Not enough variety in decks
2.Not enough interest
3.Since Nintendo didnt make base- skyridge, they have nothnig to gain by the sell of those cards.

If most of the cards are re-made/eratta'd, there would be more veriety in decks. If there were more veriety, ppl would gain interest in it again, and if they re-make/eratta the cards, they would gain from selling them. Everybody would win.

Of course they shouldn't. That would totally defeat the purpose of the Modified Format. Look for Team Multiplayer sometime this year. It's going to be great!

sneaselsrevenge said:
This may be a stupid question, but, when did they stop sanctioning unlimited. It was sanctioned last tournament season. Anyway, there are a few reasons why it's not.

There's still sanctioned Unlimited. evilcacturne666 was asking about Premiere Unlimited events.

PokeWisconsin said:
Of course they shouldn't. That would totally defeat the purpose of the Modified Format. Look for Team Multiplayer sometime this year. It's going to be great!
If unlimited could be as balanced as modified is, then why not? Would we even need modified then? Isn't that the point to modified? To play w/the newer, more balanced cards? If unlimited were like that, why not just do away w/modified?

Last week at my CC we hat a $15 Sealed TRR side event and a $5 unlimited sealed event. The Sealed event had 15 people. the unlimited event had 5.

I don't know how much interest there is in unlimited anymore.

I agree with the question of interest, to an extent. I'm certainly not advocating a *huge* role for unlimited ... I'm not even really advocating it, because I don't expect it to happen. But since Cacturne, brought it up, I will reiterate that I think at a small level, unlimited could actually boost sales of modified.

Actually, it'd be cool if Nintendo made an "Extended" format which allowed all sets, but Limited the most powerful cards - say, ER, SER, GB, Stoise, Sneasel, Slowking...

I'm not a big fan of Unlimited, but I wish Nintendo would do this.

But the 2-on-2 is conspicuous in its absence. Considering how many of the cards are worded specifically for this format, it's funny that it isn't being promoted.

Charking
"Why doesn't anybody understand??? Eratta those cards so they can be used to! What's wrong w/that?"

That would be a horrible thing to do, the point of unlimited is to have freedom to use anything and everything ( thats not banned )! Changing those cards would defeat the point of there being an unlimited format. Besides since WotC was in control of pokemon during that time period ( base - skyridge ) then anything as far as banning, errata's, ect. is more or less no concern or rights of Nintendo's since they weren't in power during the time.

charking said:
Why doesn't anybody understand??? Eratta those cards so they can be used to! What's wrong w/that?

Nintendo errata's cards to make them the same way to JApan, not because they think they're too good =/

The Gorn said:
But the 2-on-2 is conspicuous in its absence. Considering how many of the cards are worded specifically for this format, it's funny that it isn't being promoted.

If POP is smart, we will see that soon.
It's long been my opinnion that 2-0n-2 is the future of Pokemon. In that regard, I wonder if maybe the reason it's not being promoted/played more is because we're all afraid to open a can of worms we can't close.

To state it another way - 2-0n-2 is a different game, but not TOO different. What it adds is complexity and flexibility, and IMO, it's better. I think that once it becomes widely accepted, it will be difficult to go back to 1-on-1.

Sort of like what happens when you first go back to the Go-Kart trak after you earn your driver's license. It just doesn't have the same excitment any more.

Well at the moment all of these formats have been shoved into the "Fun" (read: PUI doesn't give a damn about) format box. PUI won't sanction Unlimited events no matter how much support there is for them, because they don't want to touch the WOTC cards. I think a side event at Worlds is about as close as you will get to a premier event.

I agree with whoever said that bringing it back would make it easier to get old players into the game. I know a lot of players here who quit when there was no more Unlimited, perhaps they came back for a few Modified tournaments but realised it wasn't the same - and have never been seen again. They own mostly old cards, and aren't prepared to make the investment required to get a good Modified deck. But there are also those who hate Unlimited with a passion, and I agree that people who have joined Pokemon in the last couple of years would find it difficult to start playing Unlimited because it's much more complex and skill-intensive than Modified (and getting hold of 4 Cleffas is pretty hard).

Two on two is interesting, I have no experience with it so I won't comment much - but I would say there is a better chance of getting premier events for this format, since it can be played RS-on. And they seem to keep printing cards that were MADE for this format ("Choose one of the defending pokemon", "If your other active pokemon is a...").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back