Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Should League Leaders be able to play in there own tournaments for ranking?

It has come to my attention that a League Leader has been the main judge and only judge I might add in his own tournaments and has been increasing his ranking through playing at his own League. This I find unfair to the people who go to that league because being a LL and judge of these tournaments he runs should not be allowed to play for his ranking unless someone else is running the tournament. Comments please!

Have you reported this to POP? A tournament judge is not supposed to play in any sanctioned event under POP floor rules (as this would bring into question their objectivity..

TRE.. Your league leader (probably) shouldn't be playing in his own tournaments. Are you suggesting that the League Leader is using his position to massage the results or to unfairly inflate his rating?

Playing in your own tournaments is not right, but if you are doing so in a fair and impartial manner then all it warants is a reminder that you should not do so as it looks suspicious. Probably accompanied by the suggestion that you get someone else to act as TO/judge and take it in turns to run and play in tournaments.

If however you are suggesting that the aim is to unfairly gain advantage then that is a more serious matter.

So which is it?

I would like to take this moment to point out that the new league specificly states that it is not to be run as sanctioned play. Ever.

As a rule, the TO(or any judge) of a tournament is not allowed to play in said tournament(there are exceptions for small-scale unofficial tournaments though).

The new league however does not allow the LL(League Leader) to get anything, unless he/she plays in the league.
I didn't even see an answer key for the puzzles, meaning that I had to go through a book and complete every puzzle(just so I would know if somebody else got the correct solution or not).

Draw your own conclusions from this information, but please, draw only in the appropriate area. :D

Team Rocket Executive said:
It has come to my attention that a League Leader has been the main judge and only judge I might add in his own tournaments and has been increasing his ranking through playing at his own League. This I find unfair to the people who go to that league because being a LL and judge of these tournaments he runs should not be allowed to play for his ranking unless someone else is running the tournament. Comments please!

TRE,

Not sure where this is going. There is a diffence between a League Leader (LL) and a Tournament Organizer (TO). There is also a difference between playing in a league and playing in a sanctioned tournament. LL's run leagues, To's run tournaments. A person can be both but the rules for participating are different.

League activities have NO effect on a player's ratings. PUI has clarified recently in another thread that Leaders are allowed to participate in thier own leagues and earn points towards promos, badges, etc.

Tournament Organizers, on the other hand, are explicitely prohibited by PUI from participating in their own sanctioned tournaments. The same applies to the judges of the event.

So, if the first case is true then there is no problem. If the second case is true then you should contact PUI directly ([email protected]) and not post veiled accusations here. This (posting here) happened a couple of months ago and it doesn't need to start again. :mad:

I would further clarify this last poster's points but I believe enough has been said. All else I would say, regardless of common belief, LEAGUES ARE NOT TOURNAMENTS. There is a huge difference between the two. There now enough has been said. Now you can contact the correct personel, and stop posting accusations here. I had enough of this back a couple of weeks ago, to the point where I almost deleted this site off my bookmarks. Please no more accusations.

yoshi1001 said:
Have you reported this to POP? A tournament judge is not supposed to play in any sanctioned event under POP floor rules (as this would bring into question their objectivity..

POP has been notified of this before, and as to my knowledge nothing has been done to resolve this issue.

NoPoke said:
TRE.. Your league leader (probably) shouldn't be playing in his own tournaments. Are you suggesting that the League Leader is using his position to massage the results or to unfairly inflate his rating?

Playing in your own tournaments is not right, but if you are doing so in a fair and impartial manner then all it warants is a reminder that you should not do so as it looks suspicious. Probably accompanied by the suggestion that you get someone else to act as TO/judge and take it in turns to run and play in tournaments.

If however you are suggesting that the aim is to unfairly gain advantage then that is a more serious matter.

So which is it?

I wouldn't say he is using his authority to that extent, but I think decisions are clouded when you have to make a ruling on yourself. Your comment on switching back and forth as judge is very wise and has been used once at the league I am speaking of which I remarked about to my friend saying its about time, but it only lasted that week.

Jeremy Badeaux said:
I would like to take this moment to point out that the new league specificly states that it is not to be run as sanctioned play. Ever.

As a rule, the TO(or any judge) of a tournament is not allowed to play in said tournament(there are exceptions for small-scale unofficial tournaments though).

The new league however does not allow the LL(League Leader) to get anything, unless he/she plays in the league.
I didn't even see an answer key for the puzzles, meaning that I had to go through a book and complete every puzzle(just so I would know if somebody else got the correct solution or not).

Draw your own conclusions from this information, but please, draw only in the appropriate area. :D

I my self have read these rules and would provide a link to that page if I knew how and I think the most a LL should go in his league tournaments is playing for fun. I have no quarrel with the LL getting the promo card or whatever as long as there is enough for everyone else. Also what are these puzzles you speak of? I don't believe our league has received them yet. But of course I will noy assume anything until I have complete factual info put together and what would be the appropriate area? :cool:

Spanky said:
TRE,

Not sure where this is going. There is a diffence between a League Leader (LL) and a Tournament Organizer (TO). There is also a difference between playing in a league and playing in a sanctioned tournament. LL's run leagues, To's run tournaments. A person can be both but the rules for participating are different.

League activities have NO effect on a player's ratings. PUI has clarified recently in another thread that Leaders are allowed to participate in thier own leagues and earn points towards promos, badges, etc.

Tournament Organizers, on the other hand, are explicitely prohibited by PUI from participating in their own sanctioned tournaments. The same applies to the judges of the event.

So, if the first case is true then there is no problem. If the second case is true then you should contact PUI directly ([email protected]) and not post veiled accusations here. This (posting here) happened a couple of months ago and it doesn't need to start again. :mad:

I completely understand alredy your first paragraph, and hence my point... The LL should not be allowed to use leagues towards ratings to what PUI has said. What posting a few months ago are you talking about, this is the first time I've commented on leagues. I just want to get everything straightened out so this league season can be as fun as possible for everyone. :cool:

Dark Legendary Master said:
I would further clarify this last poster's points but I believe enough has been said. All else I would say, regardless of common belief, LEAGUES ARE NOT TOURNAMENTS. There is a huge difference between the two. There now enough has been said. Now you can contact the correct personel, and stop posting accusations here. I had enough of this back a couple of weeks ago, to the point where I almost deleted this site off my bookmarks. Please no more accusations.

I relize leagues are not tournaments but the LL makes up tournaments that count towards league points which PUI has said should not occur. Still confused about what people say happened a few weeks ago. :eek:
Also I am not making accusations I would not try to hot someones character behind there backs. :cool:

Well I don't know what the other guy was referring to, but what I'm refering to is the time a few weeks ago when everyone got back from worlds accusing Japan of cheating. I know this situation has been resolved and I would like that it doesn't occur again. You see I had 2 japanese god daughters, now down to 1 cause unfortunately one of them died on the very day Worlds ended. So during that week I was kind of taking things personally.
I would report this to PUI again. He should not be making leagues out to be tournaments. Leagues can not be sanctioned tournament events, ever. You can however run a tournament and a league seperately at the same time and same place, but I would normally prefer that two different people run both events, so that there are no mix ups.
And the puzzles everyone refers to are the activities in the new league badge books, for the new league cycle.

Well I don't know what the other guy was referring to, but what I'm refering to is the time a few weeks ago when everyone got back from worlds accusing Japan of cheating. I know this situation has been resolved and I would like that it doesn't occur again. You see I had 2 japanese god daughters, now down to 1 cause unfortunately one of them died on the very day Worlds ended. So during that week I was kind of taking things personally.
I would report this to PUI again. He should not be making leagues out to be tournaments. Leagues can not be sanctioned tournament events, ever. You can however run a tournament and a league seperately at the same time and same place, but I would normally prefer that two different people run both events, so that there are no mix ups.
And the puzzles everyone refers to are the activities in the new league badge books, for the new league cycle.

Sorry for your loss... I read recently about the Japanese cheating thing and I think its ridiculous. I myself attended worlds and played a Japanese player in top 32, come on if people thought the Japanese were cheating they should have brought it up then and there people shouldn't come to the gym and complain how they lost. I myself am a league leader and assist as a secondary spokesman at leagues around the state and I and others do just as you say run leagues and tournaments seperate, it is a wise decision.

She didn't deserve it......Anyways. I read the read me doc again, and I think according to it, this guy can lose his League Leading privlages if he is really trying to sanction leagues as tournaments. And he can lose his TO privlages I believe if he plays in them. TO's can never play in their own tournaments. I think apparently this guy did not read his read me doc very closely. Leagues never count towards tournament rankings or ratings. They are as I like to call it, free play with special prizes, nothing more nothing less. Tournaments are more competitive however. These two should always remain seperate. You can possibly talk to your PTO about this. I'll ask mine sometime when I see him. I'm pretty sure that's how it is.
I myself am a league leader, as you can probably tell by my sig, and I'm a TO. But there are some things in this business even I don't know, so in those cases I turn to Terry.

As a note, the
  • You may play in your own league for points (but taking care of players points, etc. is priority over your own match).
  • You may NOT sanction tournaments in league.
rules are new with the Sevii Islands League materials, which started 9/19/04.

Can anyone give me a link were I can get a copy of the new rules since our league has not received our new league kit yet.

I don't think there is a way to get it off the internet. You'll have to wait till you get your new league kits.
Great and the store players are already getting impatient as to when we're getting the 2 card promo packs, now I have to tell them were stuck waiting for the new rules too :( .
Also I read about your loss, I feel your pain man.

Last edited:
Listen, I know it seems like it but I don't type this stuff for mercy or what not. She had a pure heart, and if it weren't for her I would not have returned to this game. This is why I feel I must make it to worlds. I don't type any of this for mercy. But thank you.

Maybe sometime when I've got the time, I can type up the rules and send them to you. I can try to get around to it, but can't make any promises. Of course by the time I get it done you'd probably already have your league kits. But I'll try.

Back