Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sigh. Gas is expensive.

cabd

You know, I live in the heart of California, in the town of Clovis, California.
Most people would locate it more easily if I say "basically Fresno."

My random 1:25amish sigh comes from the fact that while California gets a LOT of organized play events, (Heck, we get TWO! regionals), we get nothing in the Central Valley. Even the nearest BR here is Modesto (1.75 hour drive), or maybe Hollister (2.11 hour drive). I know the central valley isn't exactly the hotspot of the Pokemon world, but do we really not have anyone/where capable of doing it? I mean, we have a very nice collection of public libraries that could house 50ish players, and we have a few buildings around town that could be rented out rather cheaply.

What does it take to get a battle road event brought here around town, and what kind of a budget does it usually entail? What kind of credentials would a player need to bring such an event to town?

I'm getting kind of desperate here, since I go to uni, gas money is the 61st card of my life's deck most weeks.

Most people get at least one or two local events... right?

When is California gonna just sepporate and just become two states allready?

Dude, not really.

That's still easily a gallon or two for gas roundtrip, which does add up, especially if you go to multiple ones in the Autumn or throughout the year (even more if you include league). Don't underestimate how much $3.30-$3.60+ per gallon will cost you.

For the OP, I dunno much about how Cali organizes their BRs and stuff, but generally people prefer to hold them in places accessible to the greatest amounts of people, and from what you've described, where you live doesn't really sound like a hotspot...you could apply to be a TO or such or even contact your PTO about holding events there if you've scouted out some locations (though that being said, libraries I would imagine are a poor choice to hold Pokemon events given the quiet nature of libraries and how loud/rambunctious Pokemon events can be).

Perhaps someone else who plays lives nearby? Car pooling would definitely cut down on the cost for sure.

Just attend as many as you can, but don't spend too much money on gas. I just know that I'll be attending the one in Castro Valley this Sunday, and then the one in Santa Clara the week after that. It is a bit expensive, but hey, Pokemon is a fun game.

My closest event is 2 hours away. And I usually try to make it to DFW area once per cycle (one BR, one Cities, etc) and that is 4+ hours.

Don't underestimate how much $3.30-$3.60+ per gallon will cost you.

Seriously? You guys are complaining about paying $3.30-$3.60 per gallon of fuel?

Do you just have no concept of the rest of the world?

I live in the UK, the cheapest I can buy gas/petrol for is £1.31 a litre, so lets convert that.

Okay, so a US Gallon is 3.78 litres, this puts me at £4.95 a gallon.

Convert from GBP into USD and I'm paying $7.76 a gallon for fuel.

And 35 minutes drive for a BR? Try a 3 hour drive, with no-one to carpool with. That's a $70 round trip.

You guys have this better than anyone else.

Dude, not really.

Yes really. Milwuake is the closest place, and thats 35 minutes. Only reason I go to so many is because my parents are WAYYY to nice about driving me to places.

"Mommmmm, can I go to Indianapolis to play Pokkkeeemmmonnn?????"

"sure hun"

I used to live in Bakersfield. I'm glad I was new to the game while I was still down there cuz if I was still there now, the lack of local OP events would kill my soul...

Seriously? You guys are complaining about paying $3.30-$3.60 per gallon of fuel?

I live in the UK, the cheapest I can buy gas/petrol for is £1.31 a litre, so lets convert that.

And 35 minutes drive for a BR? Try a 3 hour drive, with no-one to carpool with. That's a $70 round trip.

....thats Americans for you, always complaining even though they have it good.

Yes really. Milwuake is the closest place, and thats 35 minutes. Only reason I go to so many is because my parents are WAYYY to nice about driving me to places.

"Mommmmm, can I go to Indianapolis to play Pokkkeeemmmonnn?????"

"sure hun"

Hey where you @? I'm in tomah.

You know, I live in the heart of California, in the town of Clovis, California.
Most people would locate it more easily if I say "basically Fresno."

My random 1:25amish sigh comes from the fact that while California gets a LOT of organized play events, (Heck, we get TWO! regionals), we get nothing in the Central Valley. Even the nearest BR here is Modesto (1.75 hour drive), or maybe Hollister (2.11 hour drive). I know the central valley isn't exactly the hotspot of the Pokemon world, but do we really not have anyone/where capable of doing it? I mean, we have a very nice collection of public libraries that could house 50ish players, and we have a few buildings around town that could be rented out rather cheaply.

What does it take to get a battle road event brought here around town, and what kind of a budget does it usually entail? What kind of credentials would a player need to bring such an event to town?

I'm getting kind of desperate here, since I go to uni, gas money is the 61st card of my life's deck most weeks.

Most people get at least one or two local events... right?

Carpool

One thing; USA is NOT the rest of the world. You really can't compare the two as accurately either, given that Europe also uses diesel vehicles, differing min MPGs between vehicles, different economic and social climates, and the like. So just routinely pointing out both how in GB that GBP are worth more than a US dollar, then converting over...sorry but it would cost us a lot more than someone paid in GBP to start with.

Not trying to Europe bash at all, my intent originally was to point out that everyone is hurt by gas prices, and that my original reply to nishidawin was that no amount of travel is trivial when you add gas costs up.

Carpooling is so wonderful. Like, the difference between 30 dollars and 10 to pitch in is too good to pass up. Get talking to people around you my pokebros.

Back