Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

skyridge dunsparce

If I have skyridge Dunsparce attive and my opponent has an evolved pokemon and aqua hideout, what is Dunsparces retreat cost? would his power make it zero, then the hideout make it one or would the hideout be first then his power make it zero?

Anything that reduces a retreat cost to 0 (as opposed to reducing a retreat cost of x by X, which just happens to calculate out to 0) keeps it at zero.

I'd give Dunsparce a free retreat because the power states that Dunsparce's retreat cost is zero, rather than reduced by one. But its not an easy call and I sure hope that questions like that aren't in the Professor test ;)

If it is your Hideout increasing retreat cost then there isn't a problem as you would get to chosse the order of the competing effects. But with your opponents Hideout (which is the more likely scenario) it gets tricky. There are rullings that say your effects go first followed by your opponents in the Compendium, but I'm also sure that there are counter examples where the opponents effects go off first.

I guess I'm 60% in favour of zero retreat cost and mostly because of the choice of words on Slippery Skin.

-------

Thinks I guess I should check the baloon berry rullings as doesn't baloon berry do something similar?

Compendium EX said:
== BALLOON BERRY (Neo:Revelation; EX:Dragon)

* In the Japanese card, there is a text saying "If Balloon Berry is attached to one of your Pokemon, the Pokemon's retreat cost is 0". So, you should play Balloon Berry as if it negates the Pokemon's retreat cost while attached to that pokemon, not just when it actually attempts to retreat. For example, Muk-EX's "Slimy Water" attack damage will be reduced to only 40 against a Pokemon with Balloon Berry attached to it. (Nov 13, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Maybe I'm now 65% in favour of zero retreat cost having read balloon berry. If you really pressed me I'd wager ooh as much as 1cent!

Phew I won a penny!

Compendium Ex but much later on! said:
== TEAM AQUA HIDEOUT (EX:Team Magma/Team Aqua)

Q. Team Aqua Hideout increases the Retreat Cost for certain types of Pokémon - how does this affect a Pokémon that has a Poké-Body that reduces the cost to zero, or a Pokémon that doesn't have a cost to retreat?
A. If a Pokémon doesn't have a Retreat Cost, it now has a cost of one. If a Poke-Body reduces the cost to zero, the cost remains zero. (Team Magma vs Team Aqua Prerelease FAQ, Q8)

Q. If a Pokemon starts out with one retreat, reduces it by one for some other effect to zero, would "Team Aqua Hideout" bring it back to one, or would it stay zero?
A. If something says "reduces the cost to X", that's where it stays. But if it says "reduce the cost *by* X", it's just math. For example, +1, -1, +1 = +1. If the final result is a negative number, then the final retreat cost is zero. (Mar 4, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Last edited:
Use it as a randomizer.
You brits have pretty big pennies!
Or are those just the old money ones?

Yeah, we had a long discussion in the rules meeting when we made that ruling above and it's 100% certain that Dunsparse would stay at zero.

It says reduces by 1, it gets a retreat cost, it says is 0, then no question about it, it is 0... you cant change it, even if you had Dark Muk active, an AQ Ariados benched, and any of the 3 stadiums that would increase its retreat (a total of +4 btw). It would still be 0!!!, as long as the requirement for the Body is met.

nikePK said:
WHY IS ANYONE USING SK DUNSPARCE!!!!!!

lol.

maybe just trying to understand the interaction between all the different effects that happen in pokemon???

Back